“Cosy, well located hotel”

Stamford Plaza Melbourne
Ranked #44 of 160 Hotels in Melbourne
Canberra, Australia
“Cosy, well located hotel”
Reviewed 15 August 2014

The hotel is very conveniently located in Little Collins Street, with easy access to the shopping, entertainment and restaurant districts of Melbourne. For football fans, it is only a 25 min walk from the MCG.

The hotel itself is cosy and comfortable, if a little tired and in need of refurbishment. The accommodation is split between two buildings separated by a narrow laneway. Transiting between the two can be a little awkward if you have a lot of luggage. Wifi arrangements are very old fashioned.

The service was of a very high standard for this kind of hotel and staff should be congratulated for their enthusiasm and helpfulness.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Lilian R, General Manager at Stamford Plaza Melbourne, responded to this review, 27 August 2014
Dear ClimbingOut,
Thanks for sharing your recent experience at Stamford Plaza Melbourne. Our friendly & attentive staff, spacious and comfortable rooms and proximity to all that Melbourne has to offer; all make for a great Stamford experience. Your positive feedback has been very well received and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Like us on Facebook l Follow us on Twitter

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (448)
  • Korean first
Queensland, Australia
Reviewed 15 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed here 7 nights and unfortunately were violently ill with the flu for 4 days. During this time we were stuck in our room, bed ridden and made good use of the facilities and thank goodness were in the Stamford! Room service was excellent, food was a little hit and miss. Club sandwich was delicious but I would avoid the 100% wagyu burger, it was inedible. When the guy came to our door with food he noticed I was very unwell and offered to bring up a selection of tea along with honey and lemon which I found extremely thoughtful. The staff were all fantastic and I think this is the stand out for the hotel, their service is just wonderful. The gym is really great, the equipment is quality and the spa, pool and sauna are all clean and stocked with towels at all times. We really wanted to stay at the Crown because it was new and shiny but I'm so glad we stayed at the Stamford instead. While the rooms are classic and cosy and a little underwhelming, it was homely, comfortable and friendly and that's really important to us.

• Stayed August 2014
Dear ashtonghion,
I do hope you have since made a full recovery and are feeling much better. We strive to exceed our guests expectations at all times and I am very proud of the efforts my team took to ensure you were as comfortable as possible – It is this type of personal service which stands us apart from other hotels. We are delighted that your suite conjured up a sense of “home away from home” and we would be delighted to be your preferred accommodation when in Melbourne. We hope to see you again soon.
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
Reviewed 14 August 2014

We stayed at the Stamford Plaza in Little Collins St for a long weekend, on our way home from Hobart to Perth. We were pleasantly surprised to find that the Stamford (booked online) was absolutely lovely - bright and fresh and clean and tidy, with lovely furnishings and even a little kitchenette. The staff were charming and helpful, and we felt very welcomed.

The Stamford is in a great location, within an easy walk from the CBD (and all the lovely shops therein!), and with lots of interesting local places to eat and browse through. We even made it to a matinee performance of Les Miserables at Her Majesty's, which was just around the corner.

All in all we had a lovely stay in Melbourne, and will definitely return to the Stamford Plaza when we are next in town.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Lilian R, General Manager at Stamford Plaza Melbourne, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
Dear Kirsten N,

Surprise and delight is what we love to do and I am so pleased you enjoyed all aspects for your stay. Our team takes every step to ensure the comfort of our guests’ and I know they will be very proud to read our comments. It would be an absolute pleasure to welcome you again when you next visit Melbourne.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 13 August 2014

I had high expectation of this hotel and sadly there were a few areas in which I was disappointed.
The first issue I had was the room key card - during my 2 night business stay I had to travel to/from reception (down the lift & across the lane) 3 times due to access issues. I had 2 seperate bookings (one for each night) and apparently their key system doesn't allow them to link the bookings. So, even if you are staying in the same room, once your booking (check out) time expires, your key card must be re-set to access your room again. For me, this was highly inconvenient, being there on business I was rushing around and needed to get in/out of my room a few times throughout the stay. Running back & forwards from reception was a great waste of time.
The room itself was nice, lots of space & mostly very comfortable. A couple of personal pet hates; no shelf or room (other than the floor) in the bathroom to put your own toiletries bag. There were fruit flies of some description in the bathroom throughout my stay. There was no fan in the bathroom so whenever the shower was used the entire mirror fogged up (even with the bathroom door open and not steaming hot water temperature). Trying to get ready in a hurry was made more difficult waiting for the steam to clear.
I found the pillows terrible - overly soft/fluffy & completely devoid of any neck support. I woke with a headache each morning (not from wine).
On the plus side, the buffet breakfast was nice - good variety of western, asian, european options.
I found the staff at the hotel to be friendly and helpful.
I would recommend light sleepers to request a room on the upper floors. I was on level 2 and could hear everything from the downstairs lobby & bar (open atrium style ceiling) as well as the lane next to the hotel.
The hotel is conveniently located - plenty of shops & restaurants within walking distance.
The Stamford Plaza is a nice hotel, it just fell short based on reputation alone. I would probably not stay here for a personal trip, maybe for business again. I think the hotel is best suited to business trips and short stays.

Room Tip: Higher floors have less noise from lobby and lane below
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Dear SamLF78,
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay. It is with disappointment that I note we did not exceed your expectations in all areas as we strive to provide all guests with an experience that is exceptional sense. I would like to assure you that your feedback has been received as an opportunity to make improvements to our service delivery and I will certainly work with my team to achieve this. When you return for your next business trip we would be happy to assist in allocating a suite on a higher floor, please make this request with your next booking. You may also be interested to select a pillow from our menu which offers different styles for all comfort requirements. We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you again.
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 11 August 2014

My friend and I had a fabulous time. We were very excited to be coming into the Stamford for the evening. Many many thanks to Brian and James (from Harrys bar) for making our stay so welcoming and friendly! The room was clean, tidy and ready for us. Dinner at Harrys (a simple burger and chips) was so good I don't think another burger in this world will ever be good enough again. Breakfast was great. Sooo much variety. And being able to order special food if we wanted (like poached eggs). Room service was prompt and friendly. And we rang so may times! Just for sugar and coffee and tea. And dont forget the pool, sauna, spa. Incredible! And we had a small balcony to step out on and see the sights. Absolutely fabulous

Room Tip: Choose a room on the 15th floor if you need fresh air
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Lilian R, General Manager at Stamford Plaza Melbourne, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Dear Melissa B,

We are very proud to have delivered all you were looking for in a Melbourne hotel. Our Magnificent 7 Burgers are one of our most popular menu items and it’s wonderful to read that you enjoyed your dining experiences- I’ll certainly share your feedback regarding with our Chef.
Thanks for giving us top marks especially for our service – our staff will be very proud to know that their professionalism and friendliness impacted so positively on your stay. We look forward to welcoming you both back for another great stay.
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Absolutely perfect visit. Fantastic, spacious, well lit, great facilities, top security, wonderful staff, highly recommend. Best hotel I have been to for a long time. Concierge was extremely polite and efficient, staff were very welcoming. Central location, would stay again for certain.

Dear Mary C,
Thank you for such generous compliments about our facilities and our Stamford service. Our staff are genuine and sincere in their efforts to ensure a great stay for our guests and I am so pleased our practices were well received by you. We greatly appreciate your recommendation and we look forward to welcoming you back for another perfect stay.
London
Reviewed 9 August 2014

This hotel is in a great location and so close to some great restaurants and bars. The room was spacious and cleaned every day. The gym and pool were also much better than other hotels I have stayed in. Mini bar prices though were prohibitive. Check in and check out was also very efficient - I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Dear maccland,
We appreciate your feedback and are pleased to know your stay was comfortable and enjoyable.
I’m very happy to read that you enjoyed your stay and appreciate you pointing out some of the notable features we have to offer such as our modern gym and pool facility. Thanks also for highlighting the friendly and efficient service provided by the team from your arrival all the way through to your departure. We’re delighted that you’ll be back again in the future – we look forward to it!