“An absolute gem”

Ranked #91 of 159 Hotels in Melbourne
Brisbane, Australia
“An absolute gem”
Reviewed 15 August 2011

I love this place - the location is outstanding, I love the small size, the incredibly knowledgeable staff and the excellent spa. The rooms are comfortable but really nothing exceptional - a bit plastic fantastic, actually - but the Lyall just does hospitality perfectly. Every single concierge knows your name, the guides to the area are spot-on (it really is in the middle of upmarket shopping heaven) and the restaurants in the area are to die for. Would not consider staying anywhere else in Melbourne.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Anstowe

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Lyon, France
Reviewed 12 August 2011

My sister and I spent 2 nights in this hotel during the Australian Open. The director came to greet us when we arrived. He is very friendly and his staff as well.
It is a quiet hotel in South Yarra not far from Chapel St. The rooms look like little appartement, very conveniant. It is a small hotel, so that you can feel like home.
I highly recommend it.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Vivich
Dijon
Reviewed 24 July 2011

The hotel is situated in South Yarra, a lovely district of Melbourne, close to Chapel street !
We stayed two nights in a spacious one bedroom apartment and didn't have time to use the spa, cause of the Australian Open...and the final with djoko !
Anyway, I loved the fact, that I could lay on the comfy couch, watching tv or stay on the little balcony reading.
We could make our own meals, cooking in a beautiful american kitchen.
The spacious bathroom communicates with the room and the living room.
The bed was so big and comfy.
On the second night, we couldn't sleep, and were a little hungry...we decided to ordered something at 2am ! The service was fast, and the meal was good.
What we less appreciated, were the insistent looks...what if we travel with backpacks, and we, for a few days, want some to stay in a 5 star hotel ?!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Viliv
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 19 May 2011

Our experience at the Lyall was truly memorable - from the booking to our arrival, our spa treatments, room service and of course the facilities, it was a fabulous and memorable stay. The staff went beyond what we could have asked for and were always helpful and obliging while being friendly and welcoming.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 16 May 2011

I booked a standard room/suite for my girlfriend's birthday on Saturday after looking through heaps of the recommended hotels here on tripadvisor, and I couldn't be happier with my choice: The Lyall.

The lobby/entrance hall is very attractive; the dark, subtle decor really 'wow-ed' during the evening. The suite was spotless, tastefully done, and there were plenty of amenities for those travellers who were after a longer stay (washing machine, dishwasher, large fridge, electric stove, etc). Even with these appointments, I never felt like I was in a 'serviced apartment' - this is definitely a 5 star hotel. The bathroom was great - the rainfall shower and bathrobes/towels a particular delight.

The staff and service at the Lyall is really what makes this a quality hotel. Whether at check in/out at the front desk, being shown to and through your room or simply passing staff in the lobby, they greet you with genuine pleasantness and there is no request too small or big that they won't attend to.

The Lyall is at the top of my list both for myself and as a recommendation to others to stay at when in Melbourne. The location is brilliant and the accommodation would suit all types of travellers, whether business, quite weekend away or week-long family holiday.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Thessaloniki, Greece
Reviewed 7 April 2011

Been every year (almost) since the days of the South Yarra Hill Suites. Suites are fairly nice, got a "unique" look that I think is loved by celebs around the world (seen Jonah Hill, Russel Brand) staying there before. The rooms itself haven't changed a whole lot since the revival in the early 2000s so the owner must be fairly raking in the money since it is not cheap to stay here! Originally from Melbourne so it feels different every time I go back because I do not feel as if I am strictly on "holiday" since I am in my hometown. Almost like a "home away from home" since I have been there nearly every year since 1999.

Kitchen alright, television adequate, high speed wifi, small gym, beauty centre (never been). Showers are ok, usually there is one good bathroom and one fairly average one. Location is very good though, close to all the shops/Chapel Street and the reception are pretty friendly/helpful.

The bar/snack place is very small but always pretty busy/popular. Had lunch/breakfast there before and was actually pretty good. Obviously better off (economically) going to one of the many restaurants nearby if you're lazy and like to stay in the hotel then the food will be ok. Good restaurant next door as well.

Parking can be a bit of a mare', usually there are spots available though.

Business centre is very small. You can get stuff printed out fine though. Collection of DVDs is fairly small but they have a wide variety of books and a old school fire / chessboard which I guess is targeted at the type of people they want to attract.

Get complimentary Ice Cream / Fruit / Milk but that's about it. We usually go to nearby place to buy the groceries. The frying pans are pretty damn basic they should really get state of the art cutlery / plates etc based on the price of the hotel. Only thing that has really changed in the last 10 years has been the television.

Luckily I have not been the one paying! It is pretty good on the whole, recommended but I am not 100% sure if value for money is right up there like it is with other Asian hotels.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank MichaelJT19
Hawaii
Reviewed 16 March 2011

We were very pleased with the Lyall. From the moment our taxi pulled up to the front door till we left two days later, service was instantaneous, affable and courteous. Our bags were whisked up to the room while we checked in. We had a nice corner room with balcony, floor-to-ceiling french doors in the bedroom and a great kitchen. I wish we could have stayed longer to try out the washing machine.
The room is VERY CLEAN, good decor and very well laid out with plenty of room to unpack.
One night we had dinner in the room, just to take advantage of the facilities, with a bottle of sparkling australian wine.

The location is good: not far from the Botanical Garden, and then an easy walk to the Art Gallery and downtown. We never figured out the tourist tram.
The breakfasts were very good: my husband had the french toast two mornings in a row.
In short, a very good hotel, and we would definitely return on our next trip to Melbourne.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple