“Great Location, atmosphere and service” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Lyall Hotel and Spa

Lyall Hotel and Spa
Ranked #83 of 158 Hotels in Melbourne
Singapore, Singapore
“Great Location, atmosphere and service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014

I travel to Melbourne a lot and do not particularly like staying in the CBD. The Lyall was a great experience located in the heart of South Yarra. Overall, the service was exceptional, rooms were really nice and the spa was great. The hotel is also great value and very fairly priced.

Service: We arrived a few hours before check in and they were more than happy to check us in early. The staff was super friendly and were genuinely warm. There was no air of stuffiness that you sometimes can get at boutique hotels. Anything I asked them to do they fulfilled with a smile and promptness. I needed something sent next day mail. They offered to goto the post office for me. I just handed them the object and the address and it was done. Anytime you leave the hotel they always offered to get you cab. Even late at night you were always greeted with a smile and not some grumpy man working the late shift. When I was there there was a problem with the business center so they printed all my documents for free off the front desk computer. The best part is that they offered to do these things for me. I never had to ask. Everything you needed was anticipated. Nowadays that is rare.

Room Service: We ordered room service a few times. The food tasted great and the price was reasonably. They also delivered the food promptly.

The Spa: My girlfriend used the spa and got a facial. She had the last appointment of the day and was running a bit late. They didn't rush her and didn't make her feel bad for being late. She said the facial was great and very relaxing. She also recommended a product that they had no stock, but gave her a sample which my girlfriend appreciated.

The rooms: The rooms were great They were spacious, the bed was comfortable and the room was quiet. The room was also tastefully designed with nice furniture. It did not have that bland hotel feel that many rooms have.

Overall, everything was great and I look forward to staying at the Lyall next time I am in Melbourne. Btw, there is free wifi which is always nice.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank rafaelnemet
WithThanks, Owner at Lyall Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
Dear Guest,

It was with great pleasure that I read your review of your recent stay at The Lyall.
Thank you for your complimentary comments covering nearly all aspects of
the hotel and spa.

In a world that is hard and fast and where automation and faceless service is gaining strength, we believe that personal service, provided well, is the key.

Thank you for your comments on the room design and décor, room service and spa facility.
It is interesting that you noted that the hotel is great value and fairly priced, Australia is
among the cheapest in the world for hotel stays yet among the most expensive to operate
so thank you for acknowledging that we offer value.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Lyall in the near future.

Hotelier

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

We Stumbled upon this hotel by mistake. What a wonderful mistake. The place was absolutely delightful from the moment we parked the car at the front door entrance. We were immediately met by concierge who took our bags into reception. The check in was another delightful experience. We were greeted by David with a lovely warm smile, who had the check-in details all ready. It was basically - sign here, he got a credit card imprint, and that was that. The process was quick, and easy. David advised that if there was anything we required at all, to not hesitate to ask, and he would personally organise. David made us feel very welcome. He went above and beyond our expectations in his overall service delivery during our stay. Nothing was too hard, and everything was a pleasure - Good old fashioned service is back! Where does the Lyall recruit their staff? I later read in the info brochure in the room, that the Hotel will even go to the local IGA Supermarket to get you supplies if required. We later took David up on this offer to organise a taxi for us to go out for dinner. David exceeded our expectations, and booked us luxury chauffeured transport to the CBD and back again, at the same cost of a taxi. Upon returning to the hotel, we were greeted again by David who asked how our evening was, and if the transport he arranged was suitable. David then advised if we did not want to go down to the main restaurant for breakfast that it could be delivered to our room at no extra cost - Well we jumped at that - a hot cooked breakfast in bed, and of course the breakfast was to die for. I then had a hot stone massage the next morning at 10am, which I must say was one of the best massages I have ever had. My therapist, Daniel was very well experienced in the hot stone style, and provided me with the best massage I have had. The spa rooms were gorgeous, professional, very inviting. Daniel was a well trained and excellent therapist, not to mention a lovely young man as well. The whole experience was wonderful, and the service was very personal, prompt, caring, and nothing was too hard. You wont be able to keep me away from this place. I will be back time and time again.

Room Tip: All rooms have a private belcony
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Melanie A,
Thank you for such a glowing review.
It is pleasing to see that the efforts in hiring and training behind the scenes are
experienced by our guests.
Thank you for commenting on the service and attention that you received from
David whose approach to service is genuine and thorough.
Thank you also for your comments on The Lyall Spa and in particular Daniel who
is an exceptional therapist in qualification, expertise and manner. our menu of
services in The Lyall Spa is extensive and our therapists are among the best.
We hope to welcome you back to The Lyall in the near future and hope that
we will meet.
Bondi, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014

Made a mistake in booking another hotel and was lucky enough to get a room at the Lyall last minute. Will now stay here in the future.
Stayed in one bedroom suite that is fully self contained with washer/dryer and small cooktop.
Fantastic concierge, great little restaurant and champagne bar.
Looking forward to returning!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Dear Guest,
We are thrilled that you made a mistake and even more thrilled that
you enjoyed your mistake.
Thank you so much for writing your review on tripadvisor and sharing
your experience at The Lyall.
We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Sydney
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

Overall our stay was quiet pleasant but for the end....when we were the victim of an attempted scam by the hotel staff.

Whilst the hotel presents very nicely form the front and reception area, the actual rooms are fairly simple and dated. The shower is in a dingy bath in which a normal person cannot even stand properly (it squashes your feet).

However, when we went to check out and specifically asked for a "taxi" to take us to the airport. My wife overhead David, the "manager" (and the only staff member at reception) make a phone call asking for a "car" to take a guest to the airport. I told my wife not to worry about it as there was no way the Hotel would arrange a hire car instead of a taxi when we specially asked for a taxi - these type of scam/kick back systems clearly would not happen in Australia with Australian guests. However, 15 minutes later a hire car pulled up out the front of the hotel and the driver (dressed in a suit) walked in and asked David who had ordered the car. David pointed to us and then told us that our "taxi" had arrived. Wanting to make sure, I asked David whether this was our "taxi" and David said yes, this was our taxi.

I then questioned David and said it looked like a hire car and not a taxi. And this was the truly disappointing part, instead of acknowledging the situation, David made up some story about the hire car being for another guest (even though we were the only guests waiting in the lobby for transport). When David repeatedly told us that he had called for a taxi and that he didn't know how the hire car had come to be at the front of the Hotel I told David I would be making a formal complaint.

I have since made a complaint and was rung by Paige, from the Hotel who told me there was a misunderstanding as the hire car was for someone else. I informed Paige that this was definitely not correct as when David had tried to suggest this to us we asked who else it was for and he told us he didn't know and that he was confused and couldn't explain. And if this was a misunderstanding, why hadn't the "taxi" he had supposedly ordered not arrived.

I don't like being taken for a fool, especially by a Hotel that puts itself out as a boutique hotel. Further, to be patronised and have someone waste my time after the event by telling me a load of rubbish, seriously, you should treat your customers how they expect to be treated. We ended up waiting nearly 40 mins for a taxi, and nearly missing our flight because of the unnecessary delay.

A shame, because South Yarra was a great place to stay in Melbourne. Next time I will be giving the Olsen or Como a try.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
9 Thank oneinvestment
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience regarding "a car / taxi" booked for the airport from The Lyall.

I have questioned our staff extensively over this incident for, as you can imagine, being the
owner of small hotel with an excellent reputation, the last thing I would like to see is that reputation damaged.

It appears that it has been a complete misunderstanding in that a "car" (limousine) had been called for a guest who was still in their suite (not in the lobby waiting) while you were waiting for your taxi. David does often refer to taxis as cars, which can be a little confusing but he assured
you and me that he had ordered you a taxi which did arrive after car for the other guest.

Many reputable hotels around the world do order cars instead of taxis for the same price, not as a scam but to offer their guests a cleaner and more pleasant experience.

I regret that you feel you were being taken for a fool and I can assure you that we value your business and would certainly not want to jeopardise that with non-professionalism.
Our long term staff David and Paige both tried to explain the situation to you on the day
and afterwards on the phone.

I hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to The Lyall.
With kind regards,
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014

Due to the great location I stayed here again with two of my adult children and this time found the rooms were great. Lovely bathrooms and sitting area with a very modern kitchen and everything you needed for our 5 nights. The staff were very attentive and polite and the welcoming fireplace and bar near the entrance added to a very pleasant stay. Definitely recommend.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Lightw
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your 2nd stay at The Lyall.

It was pleasing to know that you enjoyed your suite, the hotel and
it's intimate ambience as well as the service.

Our location is both central to everything and quiet enough to
have a good night's sleep.

We hope to welcome you and your family back to The Lyall.

With kind regards,
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014

We stay in a deluxe one bedroom suite for a weekend and was very impressed with the quality of the rooms - the layout was well thought out. The kitchen had everything you needed including a washing machine and ironing board that folded into a drawer. The living area was spacious, there was a dining table and chairs and a comfortable sofa with flat screen tv. There were three tvs in the room - one in the living area, bedroom and bathroom. There was free to air tv as well as a few foxtel channels. The living area opened to a balcony (with a table and two chairs), our room was quite dark as it looked onto the carpark but I'm sure in the view would have been nicer in the rooms on higher levels.

The bedroom was a decent size and a pillow menu was provided. There was plenty of storage space in the bedroom including storage for shoes and a safe. The room had several full length mirrors. The bathroom was spacious and two bathrobes were provided. There was a shower (with excellent hot water and pressure) and a spa bath. Toiletries were supplied.

We had breakfast both mornings in the bistro near reception - the service is very attentive and breakfast was a reasonable price, similar to cafes in the surrounding area. The location is very convenient, short walk to South Yarra station, tram and Chapel Street shops. This is a nice place to stay outside of the CBD.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
WithThanks, Owner at Lyall Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Dear Miss V Rose,

Thank you for your sharing your experience at The Lyall on TripAdvisor.
I was delighted to read that you enjoyed the facilities in the suite and the
overall service of the hotel.
Our location in the heart of South Yarra, as you found, is a bonus and
well worth experiencing if you have always stayed in the CBD.
We hope that we can welcome you back to The Lyall in the near future.
Once again, thank you.
Brisbane
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

Stayed here over the weekend and have to say it is one of the best places I have ever stayed in. The 1 bed suite was fabulous, all amenities that you expect and more, hotel is located close to South Yarra Train station and commute into the CBD was around 10mins the hotel is also in walking distance to famous Chapel Road shopping district.
The best part of this hotel is the customer service from the moment you enter the foyer you are greeted by very friendly staff who throughout our stay were polite, courteous and very helpful. A truly fantastic place to stay in Melbourne and we will be back again Im sure.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank pftBrisbane
WithThanks, Owner at Lyall Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing your experience of your stay at The Lyall last weekend.
It was pleasing to read that you found our service to be of a high quality
and that you enjoyed the hotel and its location.
We look forward to welcoming you back to The Lyall in the near future.
Rowina