“Wonderful location but hotel desperately needs refurbishment”

Seasons Botanic Gardens
Ranked #82 of 158 Hotels in Melbourne
Canberra, Australia
“Wonderful location but hotel desperately needs refurbishment”
Reviewed 26 November 2013

Four of us, all in our 70's, stayed for 8 days in an apartment in this hotel. It is very conveniently located opposite Melbourne's beautiful Royal Botanic gardens, with a tram stop at the door and parking underneath. The foyer is tired. It has a large TV, always on, and a few rather grubby chairs with a table stained with sticky rings from drinks. There was a prominent somewhat untidy noticeboard concerning a conference that was being held in a room on the ground floor. The hotel served morning and afternoon tea to the conference participants in the corridor that led to the lifts that we needed to access our room in the tower block, and it was frequently difficult to get through this crowd, particularly for our handicapped friend. Also on the ground floor was a Chinese restaurant, and cooking smells permeated the ground floor, lifts and corridors at higher levels. Stepping out of the lifts there were often bags of rubbish left outside doors and these would stay for many hours and overnight. There didn't seem to be anyone checking the corridors.
Our room was grubby, the carpet stained and the window leading to the balcony was filthy. It looked like someone had opened a sticky drink, champagne or beer, and the contents sprayed onto the outside of the glass. After 5 days when the reception manager came to look at the room, we drew her attention to this, but no attempt was made to clean it.
We intended to self cater. There were few utensils and we had to ring housekeeping for a sharp knife, and enough plates and cutlery for 4 of us. The hot plates were antiquated and slow so that the microwave oven was really the only practical way to heat food. We asked for plain teabags and were given 4. Another day we had to wait 2 hours for house keeping to bring us some plain teabags. We left a note asking for only plain tea bags, we did not want any of the flavoured ones or instant coffee sachets, but this made no difference. There was only one shampoo in the bathroom and several times we had to ring for towels as only two were left for 4 of us, and no bathmat.
The room had two bedrooms with two double beds. In each wardrobe one of the shelves could not be used as one of the supports was missing.
The beds were comfortable but after 5 nights we were surprised that we had not had a change of sheets. Bed-making was a matter of pulling up the covers and too bad if the under-sheet is crinkled up.
On our sixth day we came in from a long day out and there were no teabags again. No one was answering the housekeeping number so we rang reception, and a very helpful and pleasant young lady brought some teabags up to us. She was part of the reception staff so we asked her to come in and see the room. We pointed out that the floor did not appear to have been vacuumed since we had been there and showed her the dust on the furniture. She agreed that it needed urgent attention and a young man appeared at 5pm and vacuumed around us. Next day we had clean sheets and the place looked as if it had been given a good clean. The management put a bottle of bubbly in the room for us.
The staff at reception were always polite and helpful, but it seemed to us that this hotel has a major problem with the housekeeping staff. We also noticed that trays from room service cluttered the corridors for hours.
Our room was quiet, which we appreciated, but the bedrooms were very stuffy. There was no alternative to using air-conditioning, as the only source of fresh air was the sliding door onto the small balcony. The bedrooms were around the corner from the main room and stale, hot air tended to get trapped there. It was not possible to vary the temperature in the different rooms, so that the room the sun poured into in the morning was very hot, while the living room was set to be comfortable. The lock on the door out to the balcony was broken. This didn't seem to be a security risk as the room was on the fourth floor. The paintwork on the balcony was rusty and there were no chairs on the balcony.
Judging by a sign that said this hotel is in a competition, we felt this hotel has aspirations of being a luxury destination, and with some new carpets, a coat of paint and some attention to the air-conditioning, and employing sufficient staff to keep the place clean, tidy and welcoming, it could well achieve this status. Until then we will not stay there again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank OzzieGran
buddhika b, Manager at Seasons Botanic Gardens, responded to this review, 4 December 2013
Thank you for sharing your recent experience.

We regret that your experience was disappointing in certain areas, and we have addressed the concerns you raised with the Housekeeping and Maintenance Managers for immediate rectification. This is certainly does not reflect the high standards which we aim for.

As a hotel apartment property, we offer housekeeping service daily. After investigations we have found out that your room was missed out during the daily service due to a human error.

This is not certainly the hotel standard and I hope this has not permanently tarnished your image on Seasons Botanic Garden Hotel. It would be great if you could reconsider staying with us in the future and give us an opportunity to prove what we are good at.
We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Buddhika

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 18 November 2013

This hotel is very reliable for us, the rooms are always clean, spacious and the staff are very helpful. We often go to Melbourne as a family with our two year old and stay here due to convenience to the city, restaurants and access to meet in the bar downstairs. Great atmosphere and all round highly recommend.

Room Tip: The rooms in the Plaza side are spacious and very comfortable
1 Thank Burgio73
Dear Guest,

First of all, I would like to thank you for taking the time to post your review on trip advisor.
We are delighted to hear your comments

Once again, thank you for your time and we look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back again on your next visit to Melbourne.

Reviewed 17 November 2013

Nice room, friendly staff and secure parking. This hotel is in a good location just a tram ride away from Melbourne, opposite Botanic Gardens and Shrine of Remembrance. Enjoyed dinner in the restaurant. Would recommend it.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for your feedback and for taking time to write about your experience. We are delighted to read that you enjoyed the hotel.

We hope to welcome you back soon

Reviewed 13 November 2013

Great location, Tram stop out the front, So close to the city, MCG, directly across from shrine of remembrance. Comfy, friendly staff. secure parking (average price). Didn't try the food but there was a nice smell in the foyer we will next time. Pool was clean & pleasant.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
buddhika b, Manager at Seasons Botanic Gardens, responded to this review, 25 November 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and sharing your experience.

Once again, thank you for the review and we look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back again on your next visit to Melbourne.

Tweed Heads, Australia
Reviewed 12 November 2013

Very helpful staff. Opposite Botannic gardens. On the tram line. Asian restuarant good value. Well appointed rooms. A long walk to the city.I would stay again. I would recommend this hotel to others . Our room didnt have a view but we werent in it much anyway!

Room Tip: Ask for a view!
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and sharing your true experience. It is always great to hear from our guests as we strongly believe that they are the best tool for improvement.

Reviewed 29 October 2013

There were some serious problems at this hotel. I booked online, at booking.com and when I checked in there seemed to be a different tone by the staff when they saw it was an 'online booking'. I am not sure if that was the reason the room I was put in on level 4, was below what one would expect. I will list the problems. I stayed in a one bedroom apartment.

1. There was no air flow in the bedroom despite putting the fan on, the air con etc. Either the vent in the bedroom was not working or the 'system' was not good enough to provide ventilation.
2. The hotel tried to charge me $10 for FAST SPEED WIRELESS internet. I was not impressed by having to pay a surcharge for what should be expected when paying $180 a night. However, as it turned out, when I logged in - the so called speed was like dial up. It was appalling. Despite repetitive calls to reception to unhook my laptop (a macbook air) from the log in they gave me, so I could try another log in, there was no way to do that. I was stuck with it. I spent 1 hour on the phone with their own tech, and another hour on the phone with Mac support. There was no way to stop the connection and get a better one. It was a joke!
3. So one cant download their mail, news or watch a movie on their computer so they turn to the TV in the room. Get ready for going back to the stone age. The TV service advertised on the site said FOXTEL services. Sure, but only sport and cartoons, and Skynews. There were no USA news channels. There were also all the free to air channels.
NOTE: there was no movie service and no DVD player. I thought this was ridiculous.
4. This is an apartment with a kitchen. I wanted to be able to cook. There was ONE coffee cup, and ONE glass! Also, there are no dishcloths. No chux, only tea towels. I called housekeeping about this (one wants to be able to wipe down the bench at least!), and they were miffed by my request. I wondered what country I was in. I checked reception, and they said no dishcloths are provided. All apartment/hotels I have stayed in (lots) have a disposable chux, or similar and encourage you to tidy up a bit when you leave! This was just one of those small things that makes you mad. Such a basic thing.
5. On checking out at 7am, I waited at the front desk for about 10 minutes, before someone showed up so I could finalise my account, while my shuttle waited. There was no service bell to ring, and no one in sight! Not good. Not sure whats gone wrong in this place, but it looks like there has been a malfunction in attention to detail of comfort for guests in so many ways.
6. Last complaint – one day I stayed in, and had no less than 3 people come to enter my room, despite my DO NOT DISTURB sign on the door. Each time they ignored it and started to open it with the key. In the morning it was the ‘snack girl’, then a ‘curtain fixer’, and then the ‘ cleaner’.
I really resent so many people entering the room while I am out. Who would be accountable for anything that went missing?
I booked this hotel because of good reviews on this site. Either I got a lemon this time or things have gone down the tube. Would not recommend this hotel or visit it again. Its too risky to be stung twice at that price. I do not usually write reviews, as the small stuff can be overlooked but on this occasion I am furious.

Room Tip: The rooms at the back of the hotel (I was on level 4) are quiet, but you better make sure your $10...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank FrankiePerth
buddhika b, Manager at Seasons Botanic Gardens, responded to this review, 5 November 2013
Dear Guest,

Greetings from Seasons Botanic Gardens hotel and we thank you for your feedback. Guests’ safety and comfort are always our utmost priority.
We treat all bookings with the same respect and integrity. I understand you were dissatisfied when your room was not ready when you checked in the hotel at 11am. We always try our best to accommodate guests if they arrive early however this could be difficult during peak season. The hotel’s standard check-in time is 2pm and we guarantee all rooms will be ready at this time. We recommend you to pre-register the night before arrival if you must have early check in.
Although the building has 27 floors, the hotel apartments are located on level 1 to 6 in the building and level 7 and above are residential floors. Most of our apartments have balcony with open window that you can get fresh air if you do not wish to use air-conditioning. We thank you for taking the time to provide us with valuable feedback in relation to the internet speed wasn’t fast enough to stream TV and movies and availability of USA news channels.
As per our standard, hotel staffs do not enter DO NOT DISTURB rooms unless it is for an emergency. Unfortunately, after investigation on all relevant staff members none recall there was a DND sign when they went into your room. We take utmost care in guest’s privacy and security of all belongings in the room. I am sorry but I also didn’t get any complaint regarding this matter during your stay, had I had this complaint on spot I would have been able to verify exactly what happened during the time and make amends if required.

Guests are always welcome to call the reception if they have any questions or need any assistance and all services we provide is also stated in the hotel compendium. For example, DVD player and extra amenity is available on request. I am sorry to hear you didn't enjoy your stay and that your experience was so different to the vast majority of our guests. If you'd like to contact me directly at the hotel I'd love to get some more information from you and see if there was some way to get you back to try us out again.

Reviewed 28 October 2013

Great spot. A solid walk in to Southbank if you're active. A short tram ride if you're not.
Lap pool, spa and gym were all great. Across the road from the Shrine of Rememberance. Haved already booked to stay Anzac Eve.

• Stayed October 2013
buddhika b, Manager at Seasons Botanic Gardens, responded to this review, 30 October 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your short and precise informative feedback. I am sure someone will find it very handy when choosing an accommodation.