“Luxury Inner City Hotel”

The Westin Melbourne
Ranked #17 of 160 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed 1 January 2012

We stayed at the Westin for four nights mid-week in November. We really enjoyed our stay and would definetely recommend this hotel to family and friends... if they had the money!

The location is perfect, we walked to breakfast down a little alleyway every morning in less than five minutes. When we were travelling to St Kilda or Queen Victoria Markets we took the tram which stops just down the road from The Westin. We walked to all the restaurants and shops that we needed to without any difficulty.

The door staff were great. Very friendly and were up for a chat anytime. Got a lot of good advice from both the concierge and door staff. And they were lovely whenever we asked for advice or requested anything. For example, when we asked for advice on which Yarra Valley wine tour we should go on, they went out of their way to ensure we got what we were after. Our only issue with our stay was that we weren't told that the hotel would debit just under $500 from our account for the duration of our stay, even though we'd already paid in full, which really messed up our spending budget (we treated ourselves to this hotel - we didn't have a large amount to spend). We would just be much more appreciative if this was made clear (verbally) before or on our arrival, so that we could be prepared financially.

The hotel and room itself was just as we imagined - luxurious, modern, well furnished and very well maintained. Great shower head!!! The cocktail bar was the same although quite expensive ($20 a cocktail) We were in room 613 which had a nice view up and down the street.

Overall, it was a great stay and a perfect place to treat ourselves for an anniversary.

PS. Other reviews are right about the bed... AMAZING!!! - they really are heaven. Like sleeping on a cloud! And I have struggled with back problems for years... I have not slept that well in a looong time!!!

Room Tip: We requested a room with a view and the staff were nice enough to give us a room with a great street...
There are newer reviews for The Westin Melbourne

Reviewed 28 December 2011

We stayed here for 2 nights recently and had a lovely stay. We booked one of the rooms overlooking the square outside. It wasn't big but absolutely fine. After a drink in the bar I forgot my umbrella which was returned to the room about an hour later! ( it wasn't late). Pretty good service. It does have one of the best locations in Melbourne. For the shoppers Chanel and Miss Louise ( shoes...) can be reached without even opening an umbrella!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
WestinMel, Manager at The Westin Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded 17 January 2012

Dear Reviewer. We are pleased you enjoyed a fulfilling stay in our centrally located hotel. Our guest rooms are amongst the largest in the city but if you prefer more space, please contact us directly prior to your next stay so we may assist with personalized alternatives. We are delighted we were able to assist with the return of your umbrella and would otherwise have been happy to provide a Westin one to ensure you make the most of Melbourne’s shopping destinations. Be well.

Reviewed 28 December 2011

Fantastic!!! I had an accident earlier in 2011 that has left me permanently disabled. Before the accident i was planning a trip to Melbourne for a reunion that i now found myself not wanting to attend in a wheelchair. My Dr,s and friends strongly advised me not to go, especially on my own. Deciding to take the bull by it's horns, I thought i'll go and i'll treat myself a little. So glad i stayed at the Westin as the location was perfect for a gal looking for a lot of retail therapy, the staff were friendly, welcoming and they looked at me, not my chair. Nothing was too much trouble to accommodate me and my needs, but without them treating me like i was less than. Which is a big thing let me tell you. A massive Thank You to all the the staff at the Westin for helping me regain my independence again, especially the boys who work out the front. One of them even pushed me uphill for a hair appointment 2 blocks away. An entertaining and funny young man who is a credit to the Westin Melbourne. Bravo team!! The only negative was the house keeping crew need to lift their game a little, as my 8 day stay went on, the more their standard of cleaning dropped. Which was eventually rectified, shame that. Still, i look forward to staying there next time i'm in town. Westin Melbourne and your great team of people did a lot more for me than they know, you helped me show folks back home i'm handi-capable NOT handicapped

Room Tip: Those in wheelchairs, go for the spa suite
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo

Dear Reviewer. Thank for your providing such special and detailed feedback. We are delighted our personal and instinctive service ensured a revitalizing stay. Your comments regarding room servicing have been shared with the housekeeping department to ensure we consistently maintain our quality procedures. Please rest assured we take this feedback seriously and we sincerely apologise for any inconvenience caused. We will also share your feedback with the Commissionaire team, who will certainly be inspired to know they provided such a positive impact on your experience. We look forward to welcoming you back for another refreshing stay on your next Melbourne getaway.

Reviewed 27 December 2011

I stayed here for a few days on business and I really enjoyed the stay!! The location of the hotel is very central--very close to the conferation Square. When you walk into the hotel, you can smell "Westin" with a very fresh nature scent. The rooms are very nicely furnished and modern. The showers and bed are heavenly! The staff are very friendly and helpful. The rates are reasonable. Overall it is a wonderful hotel.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business

Dear Reviewer. We are pleased to provide a convenient base for your business travels. The Westin white tea scent is certainly a refreshing welcome on your arrival and it is inspiring you experienced a fulfilling stay in every way. Thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed 26 December 2011

I stayed here a couple of times (my fourth time now) and have a tendency to stay here due to its central location and excellent service. I have stayed at the Crown and Sofitel previously but have not turned back ever since my first stay at the Westin two years ago. I was always greeted with a 'Welcome back' every time I got out of the taxi at the hotel and they were quick to hail a cab for me each morning for work. The location is central in the heart of Melbourne CBD and is close to cafes and a few minutes walk to Chinatown and Flinders St station.

While you don't get that much of a view of the Melbourne CBD, the rooms are very spacious and clean. Last but definitely not the least, the beds are so comfy and soft which is one of the highlights of staying in this hotel.

The only other negative other than the view of the room was the lack of free wi-fi. If wi-fi was included this will definitely get 5 stars.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business

Dear Reviewer. Thank you for continuing to stay with us, we sincerely value your loyalty. We are delighted you enjoy our Heavenly Beds, spacious rooms and central location near to all Melbourne has to offer. We would encourage you to discuss your room preferences with us prior to your next visit so we may assist with a more refreshing outlook. Regarding internet access, you will find our guest room internet charges are consistent with similar five star hotels in the city. We also provide complimentary wireless access in our Business Centre and Lobby Lounge. We look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future. Be well.

Reviewed 26 December 2011

From a warm welcome by Jackie to an express check out, it could not have been any better. Well appointed rooms, great gym and spa area, cheerful staff and free WiFi - what else would one need?

• Stayed: December 2011
1  Thank GodOwnAngel

Dear Reviewer. Thank you for your inspiring feedback. We are so pleased you enjoyed a fulfilling stay. Jackie will also certainly be delighted to know she provided a refreshing start to your experience. Be well.

Reviewed 24 December 2011

We arrived a day before the Melbourne Cup (no thanks to Quantas and the lockout) when the hotel was full so we were expecting to get a bad room since we were using Starwood points, and of course we did. The view aside, a brick wall and rooftops, the hotel was unique for a Westin, and we enjoyed every second of it. The reception the day of the Cup was above all expectations, truely well done.

The room: Just like all the pics others have submitted, nothing much to add. The bathroom is very nice. Rain shower and good products. The closets are nice to have. Safe for your valuables as usual. A Westin Heavenly bed as usual which your body just melts into. Good clock radio for your ipod. Fridge in the room is great to have too.

Use the concierges. They are full of knowledge and very helpful. We bugged them early and often and we enjoyed all their ideas. Several times we had food ideas down to three choices and they guided us to the best choice, which we liked. Just ask them about greek food, it will be the best you ever had, even if you've been to Greece.

The doormen greeted us each time we walked in as if we were their friends returning from a day out, very nice.

The business center is an asset not used by many guests. It has everything you need to get some web browsing done, or work (ugh), and even print out your boarding passes.

Location is very usefull. Right down the street from all the transportation options you'll ever need. Great restaurants, shopping, museums within walking distance.

Do not miss the tour to see the Philip Island Penguins. I can not stress this enough. It is easily top five things I've ever done in my life. Sure I love animals and you might not, but these Little Blue Penguins are hilarious.

Room Tip: Get the Swanston St side if you can, upgrade if you have to, that is, if views are important.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear Reviewer. Thank you for taking the time to provide detailed feedback. It is inspiring to receive such positive comments on our room and guest facilities. Our Concierge are certainly an excellent source of local knowledge and they are always pleased to assist with suggestions for unique Melbourne experiences. We apologise we were not able to assist with a City View Room on this occasion and will certainly be delighted to meet your personal room preferences for future stays where possible. Be well.