“Classic Westin”

The Westin Melbourne
Ranked #17 of 162 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed 26 October 2010

Westin almost never goes wrong, and this property in Melbourne is everything a Westin, feels, looks and works like: a grand, modern, elegant and central hotel that goes that step beyond other business chains. We were professionally and politely treated throughout our two night stay. The room was very spacious, had a lovely view over the cathedral, and was perfectly fitted and designed to make you feel comfortable. Huge bathroom, with large walk in shower, huge bath, and double vanity. The SPA is very comprehensive, with a large and very complete gym, and a large pool.
Slight minus point: Wi fi and breakfast are charged extra, which they shouldn't be, and quiet expensive they were too.
All in all a very enjoyable stay, bang in the middle of all the best theatres, shoppig and restaurants.. A great base to explore the city.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 25 October 2010

Staff were friendly and helpful, even after our checkout! We left some stuff in the in-room safe and when we rushed back to the hotel, they sent a staff promptly to help retrieve our stuff. Great and thanks! Room is clean and nice as usual Westin. No doubt for recommending it and coming back again in the future.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
WestinMel, Manager at The Westin Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded 27 October 2010

Dear Reviewer. Thank you for taking the time to comment on your particular visit to The Westin Melbourne. We are pleased to read that our associates were perceptive and instinctive to your needs. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Westin on your next visit to Melbourne.

Reviewed 25 October 2010

Westin Melbourne (hereafter WM) is one of the best Westins one would find in Asia Pacific - one that I believe could teach a thing or two to the other Westins, particularly those in North America. Though it may not be as beautiful or sophisticated as the Park Hyatt or the Shangri-La properties, it comes pretty darn close in its typical slick Westin way that has captivated many. To top it all off, WM provides one of the most hands-on services I had experienced. This perhaps is the foremost example of a Westin that lives up to the firm’s motto of “This is how it should feel”.

WM is in a great location, only a stone throw away from the Federation Square with a view of the Flinders Station straight out of the window (to the left). You cannot get more central than the WM. There are plenty of eateries nearby and plenty convenience stores to stock up on your drinks and nibbles if you are not the type to pay 200% mark up prices for the mini bar. There are big theatres in the vicinity. If you want to play my favourite Melbourne-time activity of ‘getting lost in the little lanes’ they are all around the Westin. Five stars for location.

The rooms are superb. The tube TVs are no more and the beds are as heavenly as ever. The rooms with balconies can use a bit of dusting on them but is no big deal. The cleanliness of the rooms is otherwise spotless. The bathroom is large and has massage shower heads. Be careful of finding yourself lazying around in the room without heading out to explore.

The service was also excellent, minus one tiny wrinkle. The bellhops are brilliant – the most professional bunch I had seen. I can remember Brad and Martin (?) the fellah with glasses during the night shift. They were helpful and friendly and professional all at once. They made me feel welcome and that they were there for me. It is not easy to feel this way in most business hotels nowadays where the staffs are often ‘busy doing their own things’. Another thing I found about WM staff was that they seem to remember you quite well. After saying hi once they were already welcoming me by name every time I encountered them. Again, not an easily found experience in Westins!

The tiny mishap was on the day of check-out when I approached the concierge desk for the 1st time to ask if the hotel provided any transportation to the station and the answer I got was “well yes, it’s actually called a TAXI” with a look of sarcasm. I do not know whether he was trying to be funny but it ruined my entire perception of WB. Feeling rather insulted at this point, I backed off and went to the front desk to Jackie (behind the SPG counter) and asked her the same question. She explained that I could take a taxi, a tram or a bus or that I could try walking it as it is only x blocks away and would take x minutes. She gave me details of each option including free trams and a map in case I decided to walk it. I then told her what I had just experienced with Nathan at the concierge desk and she thought I was joking.

This hotel is a fantastic hotel, and as discussed I would rate it as one of the best Westins in the world (waking up to the tram bells in the morning is surreal). I have no clue as to what Nathan was trying to say/was going through that day/trying to be funny/etc but it is clearly not acceptable at a hotel of this standard. Heck, it's not even acceptable at a four points or a YMCA hostel for that matter. Which is too bad because I would have loved to give the WB a 5/5.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jaejaez

Dear Reviewer. Thank you for taking the time to to provide your attentive and balanced comments with regard your recent stay with The Westin Melbourne. We are pleased to read that your visit was fulfilling in most regards. Please accept our apologies for the inconsiderate service you have highlighted and we hope that you will treat this as an isolated experience. We look forward to making you feel special on your next visit to The Westin Melbourne.

Reviewed 20 October 2010

There is just something about the Westin in Melbourne that I love. It is not one of those corporate hotels lacking in soul, it has a great atmosphere and friendly staff. Location is perfect , many of Melbournes best restaurants and bars are nearby, including many in Flinders Lane just behind the hotel. Rooms are lovely, we always try and get a room overlooking the spires of the cathedral - just beautiful. Food is very good. My favourtite hotel in Melbourne. I do agree with previous reviewers that charging for WiFi is just not on these days and very annoying.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple

Dear Reviewer. Thank you for taking the time to post about your experiences with The Westin Melbourne. We are inspired to read that we have emotionally connected with your senses. We look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 19 October 2010

This was my first stay at the Westin in Melbourne. The staff were very attentive and helpful, the rooms very nice, good internet, and a very well equiped gym. I would highly recommend this hotel.

It is well located on Collins street in the heart of downtown and close to a lot of good restaurants.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
WestinMel, Manager at The Westin Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2010

Dear Reviewer,

We are delighted that you chose to stay with us and that you had a fulfilling stay in every way. It is inspiring that you are also willing to share your experience with others. We hope to welcome you back in the not too distant future.

Be well.

Reviewed 19 October 2010

We were due to spend a night in this hotel but on arrival in Melbourne were feeling very harrassed by not knowing where to take back our hire car, so I jumped out to ask the staff - a very smiling chap immediately held his hand out for the keys and told us he would look after it - what a relief!
Everything was the same, friendly service and chic, first class amenities. Wish we could have stayed longer, especially given the ultra comfortable beds. Five stars all the way.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to provide personal feedback. We feel special that we were able to assist in soothing your senses. We look forward to welcoming you back for perhaps a longer stay on your next visit.

Be well.

Reviewed 19 October 2010

This is the second time I've stayed at the Westin. Had a lovely room on the side overlooking the church next door. The room was very spacious, with a nice modern design. The bed was so comfortable.
The staff were very friendly. They even present you with the details of your taxi on arrival in case you need them.
Breakfast is lovely with a huge range of food to choose from.
I would have loved to have stayed longer.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple