“our new home in Melbourne”

The Como Melbourne - MGallery by Sofitel
Ranked #17 of 158 Hotels in Melbourne
Canberra, Australia
“our new home in Melbourne”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2011

We had a fantastic stay, the location is awesome, right in the heart of south yarra so shops and resturants were everywhere. it was a little bit hard to find (but, we had just driven 10 hours to get there so we were tired) however once we arrived the service was impecable. The room was impressive as soon as we walked opened the door. it was very spacious very new and clean. the bathroom was huge too and the bath tub was WOW!. there was even a comlementary rubber duck The bed broke while we were there :-) so the the wonderful staff upgraded us to their penthouse, which was 2 story, spiral staircase, full size spa and grand piano of course. we nicknamed it the Charlie sheen suite. overall, can't reccomend his hotel enough, it's where we will be next time we are in Melbourne.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 December 2010

Dirty room,dirty soiled doona room service asked why i looked in it,desk not friendly staff,complaints never been fixed

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank kathyminnitidavis
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 December 2010

My room was clean and the bed was so comfortable I could have died happy there... the bathroom had ample space... it was just a really pleasant stay. The staff are excellent... I attended and helped co-ordinate a function there and the staff were really wonderful and helpful... I have no complaints. South Yarra is a great central place from which to enjoy Melbourne...I didn't pay for the room so that may have affected my opinion somewhat, I think the room was upwards of $400 per night but I can't say I didn't enjoy it. I previously worked in the Como Centre (the building attached) and I really love this location.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kylieroseonline
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2010

My boyfriend and I headed down to Melbourne for a break in mid October. We stayed 3 nights at The Como Melbourne and were very impressed with the accommodation. The staff were very friendly and extremely helpful and we were even given a free upgrade.

The room itself was large and extremely comfortable. Everything was clean and clearly arranged with care. The bathroom had a gorgeous deep Japanese spa bath that was heaven and the bed was very comfortable. The location was great; we discovered some fantastic restaurants and cafes all within walking distance from our hotel and we were only a short tram/taxi ride away from the city.

We booked the room quite cheaply through Wotif and it was well worth it. I was a bit put off by some of the reviews I had read on tripadviser but we experienced nothing but comfort and class. I would definitely stay The Como Melbourne again.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Sydney
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2010

Well positioned in South Yarra. reception staff were friendly. Both our rooms were clean and well decorated however starting to show some age. The really frustrating part about the hotel is that between the ground foyer at street level and the lift foyer, you have to drag yourself and bags over approx 12 steps and there is no ramp. Would stay again for the price we paid. Small street level bar was good for a late night drink but relatively expensive. I would rate the hotel between 3.5 and 4 stars.

Stayed November 2010, travelled with family
Amsterdam
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2010

I stayed for a week on business and found the hotel average, but nothing special. I wouldn't rate this hotel at the top end for the following reasons:

Room comfort
- The fridge must have been broken as it turned on and off VERY LOUDLY at night often waking me up in the middle of the night
- The wardrobe/closet light would not turn off. I had to spend several minutes jiggling it just right in order to get the light to turn off, otherwise the light was on all night
- There was not enough light in the room at night. Since the room had dark interiors and the light was so low it felt like I was in a cave at night. It was not very comfortable. It definitely needed more light
- No restocking. I ran out of tea and coffee and had to ask for it to be refilled. Forget about the mini-bar being restocked either - they certainly forgot

What I liked:
- the rubber duck.
- location

Other:
- Breakfast was adequate, except on the first day I ordered a couple of eggs and the person working in the morning loudly announced to me it was at an extra cost. Well, of course it was since it was on a menu and not in the buffet breakfast. Quite simply, I was mortified. I am sure he did not mean to sound condecending, but I was deeply embarrased and felt like I was being warned because maybe he thought I could not have afforded it or something? Maybe it was just me - i didn't order off the menu again though I may have wanted to

I was working overtime and beyond exhausted. In addition, I had to travel over 24 hours to get to Australia so I was just too tired to be bothered to change rooms. In hindsight, had I had the energy I would have, but the point of a business hotel is that you don't have to worry about these little things. . .

I'd recommend it to a friend as an OK option. It wasn't great and it wasn't horrendous - I will definitely look at other hotels next time I am in Melbourne.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
Adelaide
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2010

We stayed here for 2 nights on 19&20 November and were happy with both our room and the location and service. The bed was very comfy and the room was very large and clean. Only downside was the bathroom was a little rough around the edges, but clean and adequate. The staff were very pleasant and the included buffet breakfast was pretty good and the food staff were very attentive. It was in a good location, with many choices of local cafes and restaurants if you want to stay in the area (we didn't). Easy and close to several tram routes and walking distance to the Prahan Market and the wonderful Market Lane Coffee Shop. We paid a very good price of $165 p/night inc breakfast. No complaints here!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple