“Great for the Australian Open Tennis”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Mantra on Jolimont

Mantra on Jolimont
Ranked #91 of 159 Hotels in Melbourne
Wellington, New Zealand
“Great for the Australian Open Tennis”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2014

Chose this hotel because of its proximity to Melbourne Park - in fact is 3 mins walk to MCG and 5 mins to Rod Laver. It is an apartment motel and stayed in a one bedroom apartment. Overall good facilities for a 3 star hotel. Restaurant was good as was the room service. About 10 mins walk to Melbourne CBD. Bit of train noise as railway close by.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
JolimontMGR, General Manager at Mantra on Jolimont, responded to this review, 27 January 2014
Good morning,
I'm glad you enjoyed your stay! We are in a great position to make the most of your sporting events at Rod Laver Arena or the MCG. Thanks also for your other 'traveller tips' - I'm sure others will appreciate them.

Campbell Lee

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2014

I had a one night stay and found the Mantra on Jolimont a great hotel. The 1 bed apartment was pretty basic but very clean. Had a great view of the MCG which was only 400mts away. The service was good and the heated pool was fantastic. I was also impressed with the buffet breakfast.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
Good morning,

Thank you for taking the time to document your experience at Mantra on Jolimont. I do appreciate it and will be sure to share your comments with the team!

Perth, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights. Had a medical problem on the first morning reception staff were very helpful.
Only a 5 min walk to Gate 1 of the MCG.
Close to the CBD - can walk if you like.
Rooms were pleasant & bathrooms very clean.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
JolimontMGR, General Manager at Mantra on Jolimont, responded to this review, 7 January 2014
Good morning,

Thank you so much for your review - I am glad to see you enjoyed the location, and found the rooms to your liking. I'm also very pleased to read the the Reception staff were able to help you out on your first morning following your medical issue - I do hope that you are feeling better.

Traralgon, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2014

I recently came to stay for one night for a concert with a friend. I had been advised of the $100 charge on a credit card as a bond, but was very surprised that for a debit card it was to be $300! I have used my debit card for credit card bonds at many other hotels with no problem. When I told the very rude staff member that I didn't have $300 on my card she told me to 'sit down and call someone to transfer you the money.' I didn't have anybody who had $300 just lying around to give to me and the staff member told me there was a chance I would not be able to have a room that night! How ridiculous. Finally I was allowed to use my debit card for the $100 but the minibar was taken out of my room and the phone disconnected. I was then left wondering what on earth I was actually paying the $100 for! We were finally allowed up to our room and half an hour later I asked reception to call us a taxi. It was the same rude staff member I had dealt with earlier and she to us to wait in reception for the taxi. We waited for ages in reception while we could see a taxi out the front that I was sure would be ours. I asked the rude woman if it was ours and she replied very rudely saying 'I've already called you the taxi!' I asked AGAIN 'is the taxi out the front ours??' And she said 'did the driver say your room number?' I said I didn't know as if been told to wait in reception and this staff member just rolled her eyes and looked away. Incidentally it was our taxi.
My family own an apartment in this hotel, the only reason I booked another room that night was because our room was occupied. I was absolutely disgusted with the rudeness of this one staff member, it was unnecessary and really made it hard for me to enjoy my stay. This staff member really needs to learn some customer service and realize that her job is to be friendly and helpful to visitors to the hotel, not to belittle them and upset them. The only way I will come back to this hotel after this awful service is to stay in my families apartment where I don't have to deal with the rude staff.

• Stayed December 2013
3 Thank Graybubs
Good morning,

Thank you for taking the time to document your recent experience at Mantra on Jolimont. I am saddend to read of your experience, and find can not believe that one of my team who are normally so good at interacting with our guests would have treated you like this.

As you point out: "This staff member really needs to learn some customer service and realise that her job is to be friendly and helpful to visitors to the hotel, not to belittle them and upset them". I couldn't agree with you more. Regrettably I am unable to identify the staff member from your description, or work out even the dates, times based on your profile or the content of your review. I would really appreciate it if you could contact me directly to provide a bit more detail, so I can follow through on your comments.

I do look forward to hearing from you, and following up on this.

campbell.lee@mantra.com.au

Travellers are raving about these Melbourne hotels

Nuriootpa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2014

We stayed in a split room for 6 nights over New Year. we stayed because the early fireworks for NYE were in the park across the street. This was a winner! The rooms were clean and tidy, good size for 2 adults, and two children, and the location meant we walked or trammed everywhere. However....don't stay in the railway side of the hotel! The early morning trains are a very good argument for ear plugs! We used them and enjoyed our stay. We didn't eat in the restaurant, so can't comment, but all in all, we were comfortable.

Room Tip: Not on the railway side...it's very noisy
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
JolimontMGR, General Manager at Mantra on Jolimont, responded to this review, 5 January 2014
Good morning,

Thank you for taking the time to document your experience at Mantra on Jolimont. I do appreciate it and will be sure to share your comments with the team. We are always happy to try to accomodate requests for a quieter room away from the railway - please do feel free to contact us directly if you are returning to Melbourne!

Canberra, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2013

I stayed at this property on 3-4 December 2013 for work reasons. It was not my first choice due to mixed results I have had from Mantra properties in the past. However I booked on short notice and there was little around this area for the needed nights. The Justin Beeber concert had killed all accom in the area

Check in very smooth, polite and efficient. Property very dated and showing extreme signs of age, but clean and tidy at the front end.

The room was reasonable for what I paid, particularly under the concert pressure. Compact and comfortable. Like most people who travel a fair bit, I need a minimum of four points a night. Those that were available were extremely poorly placed. None were available by the desk, two side by side in useless(almost dangerous) positions, and only one available by the bed. All this probably goes with the age of the property…Refurb time?

TV remote!!!! Wow, I have never come across anything quite this challenging, and I do 70-80 nights a year. It opens to a VERY expensive PPV movie channel. I finally managed to navigate to FTA and Fox, but was very proud to achieve my Honours degree on the way. There needs to be some simple instructions on how to navigate the system.

On my first night, the bar service was polite, without being engaging. Considering it was essentially the same staff, Restaurant service was good, if a bit intense. Food was average, and not quite what ordered.

On the first morning, shower showed considerable signs of dirt and mould, along with a lrage black hair on the shower wall Not a lot, just a lack of attention to detail. Towels were hung up, as requested to avoid replacement. Next morning, all new towels. Why have a “Green” policy if housekeeping ignore it?

On Wednesday night I used the restaurant again, initially service was very good and attentive, but fell off badly after main course was served. Waited over an hour for anyone to even ask if I wanted a desert, or another drink. I might add, the place was not overly busy. As a test, I got up and walked out, had a thankyou sir SHOUTED at me as I left. VERY POOR.

Thursday morning, the large black hair was still on the shower wall!!!, that said, checkout was prompt, polite and efficient. This place has a great location, a decent refurb will fix a lot of the problems, along with a very close review of the staff, particularly in the bar/restaurant areas

Would have achieved a 3.5 if possible, Restaurant staff drag it down

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Good morning,

Thank you for posting a review of Mantra on Jolimont, I do appreciate you taking the time to document your thoughts regarding the property, and in particular providing such detail. I note from your other reviews that you provide a similar amount of detail and levels of critique - this industry really does thrive on feedback from guests such as yourself.

I am glad you enjoyed some aspects of the property, and rest assured that we will be sure to action those items you have raised for our attention. We are in the process of beginning a refreshement of furniture in our 1 Bedroom Apartments, and while the location and number of power outlets in the rooms are not being attended to this time around, we will certainly schedule that for consideration. Our Front Desk team are appropriately armed with extension cords and power boards for those guests travelling with multiple devices, so I hope once you asked them for assistance they were able to help you out.

Your comments regarding our Restaurant do concern me and I will discuss this with my Restaurant Manager, rest assured we will be in contact if we require any further level of detail.

Geelong, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2013

We have stayed here twice now and will definitely stay again. The location is fabulous; not right in the city but comfortably far enough away to enjoy peace and quiet, great views of the city, and a leisurely walk into town.
Our kids love the pool. We love the extraordinary space afforded to us in the two bedroom apartment we were allocated. Five of us stayed there very happily. It is really good value for the accommodation. Plenty of towels, clean, easy car parking... what more could you want?

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Good morning,

Thank you for taking the time to document your experience at Mantra on Jolimont, it was great to have you back again. I do appreciate it and will be sure to share your comments with the team!

Looking forward to seeing you on your next trip to Melbourne,