“Good value and handy location”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Mantra on Jolimont

Mantra on Jolimont
Ranked #91 of 159 Hotels in Melbourne
Australind, Australia
“Good value and handy location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2014

We received an email advertising Mantra's 48hr flash sale and managed to book a 1 bedroom apartment for $109/night which we thought was great value for Melbourne CBD. Having stayed at other Mantra's many times previously we were happy with the standard of rooms and quality of service. This property is clearly older than other Mantra properties we have stayed at, and while some parts are quite dated the property is clean and pleasant. The apartment had been (mostly) refurbished and was spacious enough although not huge. The queen bed was comfortable. Drawers would have been good in the bedroom but there was plenty of wardrobe space. The staff were all very friendly and helpful if called upon, although we were fairly self sufficient during our stay. The outdoor pool and heated spa area were great and we were fortunate to have warm weather during our week long stay. We didn't eat in the restaurant but other guests we spoke to raved about how good the food was. It was only a short walk to the closest tram stop, about a 200 meter walk to the MCG (great if you're there for the footy), and only a short walk (1.5km) to Federation Square / Melbourne CBD. In all we were happy with our stay and would happily recommend this property to others.

Room Tip: We requested a room on the 'quiet side' of the hotel (away from the train track) and had no...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
JolimontMGR, General Manager at Mantra on Jolimont, responded to this review, 13 April 2014
Good morning,
I'm glad you enjoyed your stay! We are in a great position to make the most of your concerts and sporting at Rod Laver Arena or the MCG. Thanks also for your other 'traveller tips' - I'm sure others will appreciate them.

Campbell Lee

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2014

My wife and I stayed here for a night recently and were reasonably happy with the accomodation and very happy with the service. We had a one bedroom apartment and found it value for money and quite comfortable.
My only concern was when I asked to park my car (there were plenty of spaces), I was told that I would need to leave my keys. The reason for this, I was told, was that if the car park became full then my car would be moved off site, but I wasn't told where "off site" was. I also was asked to sign a damage disclaimer for this as well. I realise parking space is limited, but it should be a case of first come first served. Fortunately when I said I didn't want my car moved that was accepted by the staff and my car was left in the car park.
I fail to see if I arrive in time to get a parking spot that my car would need to be moved to an unknown location. If it is driven by a staff member, then that person is responsible for any potential damage or accident, and a guest should not be asked to sign a waiver. This could have been a down side to our stay, but the staff were very pleasant and accomodating and were only following policy (which I think should be re-assessed)

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Good morning,

Thank you for taking the time to document your experience at Mantra on Jolimont. I'm so glad that you enjoyed your time with us, and appreciate the time you've taken to document your experience at the Hotel. I hope you will bear with me while I address your main concern regarding car parking.

You are spot on in your advice to arrive early - this is the best way to secure a car space for the night. During the week we only have access to our onsite car spaces, but of a weekend we do have access to a corporate car park just across the road in one of the office buildings on Jolimont Road that we move cars to on occasion. These are juggled and are dependent on when you are likely to depart the following day - if you are departing later in the morning, the car will be moved across the road, if you are departing earlier it will be left onsite - this is all just to expiadite the check out process and avoid unnecessary waits for your car. The waiver is standard as requested by our insurance companies, any damages etc are always assessed on a case by case basis.

I hope this addresses your concerns, but please feel free to contact me directly at the Hotel if none of that made sense...!

Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2014

Recently I travelled to Melbourne for a Business Seminar and a friend suggested I stay at the Mantra Hotel in Jolimont. I was somewhat cautious as I tend to stay at bigger, more expensive hotels but decided to save some money and give it a go. And I am so glad I did! It is a small, old terrace style converted building. So it has some lovely old world charm but it has also been upgraded so has enough modern touches to make it very comfortable. I found it charming, relaxing and it was a total pleasure to stay there.

I also loved the location - in a quiet tree lined street within walking distance to the city and all the shops, restaurants etc.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Good morning,

Thank you for your review of Mantra on Jolimont! I am glad you enjoyed your time here. While being just on the fringe of the CBD, we do have good access to public transport and are within easy striking distance of bustling shopping areas in Richmond and South Yarra.

We'll look forward to welcoming you back!

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2014

The room was adequate for $120. Close to amenities and public transport. It was a studio on the 5th floor. The $100 "bond" they took against my card still has not been returned 6 days later despite having settled the account. Room Service was delicious - I would recommend the burger and fries to anyone if you need something delicious and quick. The room was very clean and the bed was comfortable but only queen sized not a king. The two requests I had were met quickly and with a smile. The staff were very professional, knowledgable and friendly.
The Nitty Gritty - the wooden furniture was extremely dated and worn, the drawers were broken, you had to pay for wifi, the mini bar costs are some of the highest I have ever seen in a hotel, it backs on top a train line so if your window is open you will get a lot of noise.

You get what you pay for and all in all those nitty gritty things did not make for a bad overnight stay. I would recommend if your just passing through but I would look for a deal as the full rate for this room can get you something nicer and more central.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
JolimontMGR, General Manager at Mantra on Jolimont, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Good morning,

I am glad you enjoyed some aspects of the property, and rest assured that we will be sure to action those items you have raised for our attention.

Happily, our Studio Apartments are scheduled for a furniture replacement later on in the year, and we would be more than happy to help allocate you a room away from the train tracks the next time you're coming back to Melbourne.

Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2014

Only stayed one night but it was problem free. The room was very clean and the staff were pleasant and polite and very helpful. The room itself has clearly worn furniture and the cupboards in the bathroom are clearly past their prime but like i said - it was very clean. The pool area with spa was great although there was a local from the apartments in Wellington crescent behind the hotel making use of the spa. It's so close to the MCG anyone seeing a game their would be crazy to stay anywhere else. I've seen people complain about noise from the nearby trains but I didn't notice it at all from inside the hotel, only when i was out the front on the street. All in all I'd be more than happy to stay there again. Also the room provided a microwave oven which i didn't have in a 5 star Hotel which I stayed in the night before!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Good morning,

Thank you for taking the time to document your experience at Mantra on Jolimont. I do appreciate it and will be sure to share your comments with the team!

australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2014

the mantra looks nice enough from the outside. However walk inside and it looks like an old hotel from the 70's thats had a 20 year out of date renovation. Location is great for the MCG footy and its about a 15 minute walk to burke street mall and city. So location is handy if that where you want to go. Price is reasonable. the rooms are spacious, but the decor is very very outdated and average. All in all its a decent hotel, just very average compared to others in Melbourne.

Room Tip: The higher the better, facing the pool are the quieter rooms.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
JolimontMGR, General Manager at Mantra on Jolimont, responded to this review, 2 April 2014
Good morning,

Thank you for posting a review of Mantra on Jolimont, I do appreciate you taking the time to document your thoughts regarding the property. We are in a great position to make the most of the footy season, and have developed quite a following in the 20 years the property has operated as a Hotel.

As you point out though, some of our rooms are beginning to show their age, and please rest assured this is something we are aware of, and as hotel operators something we are in close contact with the unit owners regarding. It sounds as though you stayed in one of our Studio Rooms, which should have a refurbishment of 'casegoods' (tables, chairs, bedside tables etc) in the next 12-18 months. As you noted though, we certainly make sure that our prices are reasonable in the meantime.

Next time you are travelling up for a match, please feel free to let you know as I'd be happy to arrange something in one of our 1 Bedroom Apartments which were refurbished in January with new furniture.

Geelong, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2014

We stayed here for the Richmond Carlton game and while it is only 5 mins walk to the ground everything else was a disaster. Brunton Ave which is the easiest route to the hotel is closed when football is on so we struggled to find a different route. Once we arrived we were told the only place to park is at another hotel the Hilton on the park which is only a block away but in football peak hour traffic was a nightmare to get to. We then had yo walk back to the hotel to drop our things off. The room was comfortable enough but we soon realised we were on a main train line and the only time there was no noise was from about 12.30 am until 4.30 am when they started running again. We got no sleep and would never stay here again. Travellers beware

Room Tip: Maybe ask for room away from train track side if possible
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank vickie255350
JolimontMGR, General Manager at Mantra on Jolimont, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
Good morning,

Regrettably we are short on car spaces, and while we can normally accomodate, we do become very constrained over special events as a lot of properties in the area do. Obviously we are more than happy for guests to drop their bags off prior to parking at alternative parking spaces and can hold your bags while this occurs.

Train noise can be an issue for light sleepers on that side of the building, staff are normally very happy to allocate or move guests if we have rooms available.

Please, if you're coming up again for a match, do feel free to contact me directly at the Hotel and I'd be happy to help arrange a quieter room for your return trip.

Campbell Lee

Travellers are raving about these Melbourne hotels