“MCG at your door”
Review of Mantra on Jolimont

Mantra on Jolimont
Ranked #97 of 161 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed 10 April 2014

We choose this hotel specifically for it proximity to the MCG for an AFL evening match.
The hotel itself is a little dated and furniture a bit worn but the bed is comfortable, the room is clean and quiet.The staff are friendly.
Breakfast doesn't commence until 8 am. Patrons were lined up outside the breakfast room which took me by surprise. The pastries on offer were delicious and freshly baked. There was variety to cater for all types of diets.
For the price and proximity of this hotel, it is the perfect location for an overnight stay for an event at the MCG.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
JolimontMGR, General Manager at Mantra on Jolimont, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2014

Good morning,

Thank you for taking the time to document your experience at Mantra on Jolimont. It's a great location for making the most of footy at the MCG. Thank you for your 'tip' regarding Saturday & Sunday Breakfast opening times - we do struggle to get staff here as many casual hospitality staff rely on public transport which has much later starting times on weekends hence the slightly later opening hours - which we hope allows people to have a sleep in... Please though, if you are staying with us and require an earlier breakfast, chat to one of our front desk staff, we should be able to sort out a continental breakfast pack at the very least if you need to get moving before 8.

Reviewed 10 April 2014 via mobile

Old world 'club' decor is a surprising and welcoming element of this hotel. Rooms are strong, comfortable and clean. The hotel disappoints however by under estimating the need for detail. (eg. Room bar fridge not replenished, empty tissue box in bath room, 30 minute wait for poached eggs at breakfast, TV remote control not working.)
Nice people, friendly reception team and very comfortable hotel design and furnishings however will bring me back for another
try.

• Stayed: April 2014

Good morning,

Thank you for posting a review of Mantra on Jolimont, I do appreciate you taking the time to document your thoughts regarding the property.

I am glad you enjoyed some aspects of the property, and rest assured that we will be sure to action those items you have raised for our attention. I was already aware of the wait for your poached eggs and am happy to say we've addressed this with our breakfast cook - regrettably they didn't have any poaching water on as the restaurant opened so I believe this was the main source of the wait. I have passed on your comments regarding the tissue box, our minibars are only checked on departure so I will make sure the tent card we usually have advising this is checked in all rooms, and I hope the television remote was replaced promptly!

Reviewed 9 April 2014

We received an email advertising Mantra's 48hr flash sale and managed to book a 1 bedroom apartment for $109/night which we thought was great value for Melbourne CBD. Having stayed at other Mantra's many times previously we were happy with the standard of rooms and quality of service. This property is clearly older than other Mantra properties we have stayed at, and while some parts are quite dated the property is clean and pleasant. The apartment had been (mostly) refurbished and was spacious enough although not huge. The queen bed was comfortable. Drawers would have been good in the bedroom but there was plenty of wardrobe space. The staff were all very friendly and helpful if called upon, although we were fairly self sufficient during our stay. The outdoor pool and heated spa area were great and we were fortunate to have warm weather during our week long stay. We didn't eat in the restaurant but other guests we spoke to raved about how good the food was. It was only a short walk to the closest tram stop, about a 200 meter walk to the MCG (great if you're there for the footy), and only a short walk (1.5km) to Federation Square / Melbourne CBD. In all we were happy with our stay and would happily recommend this property to others.

Room Tip: We requested a room on the 'quiet side' of the hotel (away from the train track) and had no...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Good morning,
I'm glad you enjoyed your stay! We are in a great position to make the most of your concerts and sporting at Rod Laver Arena or the MCG. Thanks also for your other 'traveller tips' - I'm sure others will appreciate them.

Reviewed 9 April 2014

My wife and I stayed here for a night recently and were reasonably happy with the accomodation and very happy with the service. We had a one bedroom apartment and found it value for money and quite comfortable.
My only concern was when I asked to park my car (there were plenty of spaces), I was told that I would need to leave my keys. The reason for this, I was told, was that if the car park became full then my car would be moved off site, but I wasn't told where "off site" was. I also was asked to sign a damage disclaimer for this as well. I realise parking space is limited, but it should be a case of first come first served. Fortunately when I said I didn't want my car moved that was accepted by the staff and my car was left in the car park.
I fail to see if I arrive in time to get a parking spot that my car would need to be moved to an unknown location. If it is driven by a staff member, then that person is responsible for any potential damage or accident, and a guest should not be asked to sign a waiver. This could have been a down side to our stay, but the staff were very pleasant and accomodating and were only following policy (which I think should be re-assessed)

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Good morning,

Thank you for taking the time to document your experience at Mantra on Jolimont. I'm so glad that you enjoyed your time with us, and appreciate the time you've taken to document your experience at the Hotel. I hope you will bear with me while I address your main concern regarding car parking.

You are spot on in your advice to arrive early - this is the best way to secure a car space for the night. During the week we only have access to our onsite car spaces, but of a weekend we do have access to a corporate car park just across the road in one of the office buildings on Jolimont Road that we move cars to on occasion. These are juggled and are dependent on when you are likely to depart the following day - if you are departing later in the morning, the car will be moved across the road, if you are departing earlier it will be left onsite - this is all just to expiadite the check out process and avoid unnecessary waits for your car. The waiver is standard as requested by our insurance companies, any damages etc are always assessed on a case by case basis.

I hope this addresses your concerns, but please feel free to contact me directly at the Hotel if none of that made sense...!

Reviewed 9 April 2014

Recently I travelled to Melbourne for a Business Seminar and a friend suggested I stay at the Mantra Hotel in Jolimont. I was somewhat cautious as I tend to stay at bigger, more expensive hotels but decided to save some money and give it a go. And I am so glad I did! It is a small, old terrace style converted building. So it has some lovely old world charm but it has also been upgraded so has enough modern touches to make it very comfortable. I found it charming, relaxing and it was a total pleasure to stay there.

I also loved the location - in a quiet tree lined street within walking distance to the city and all the shops, restaurants etc.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Good morning,

Thank you for your review of Mantra on Jolimont! I am glad you enjoyed your time here. While being just on the fringe of the CBD, we do have good access to public transport and are within easy striking distance of bustling shopping areas in Richmond and South Yarra.

We'll look forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed 3 April 2014

The room was adequate for $120. Close to amenities and public transport. It was a studio on the 5th floor. The $100 "bond" they took against my card still has not been returned 6 days later despite having settled the account. Room Service was delicious - I would recommend the burger and fries to anyone if you need something delicious and quick. The room was very clean and the bed was comfortable but only queen sized not a king. The two requests I had were met quickly and with a smile. The staff were very professional, knowledgable and friendly.
The Nitty Gritty - the wooden furniture was extremely dated and worn, the drawers were broken, you had to pay for wifi, the mini bar costs are some of the highest I have ever seen in a hotel, it backs on top a train line so if your window is open you will get a lot of noise.

You get what you pay for and all in all those nitty gritty things did not make for a bad overnight stay. I would recommend if your just passing through but I would look for a deal as the full rate for this room can get you something nicer and more central.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
JolimontMGR, General Manager at Mantra on Jolimont, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2014

Good morning,

Happily, our Studio Apartments are scheduled for a furniture replacement later on in the year, and we would be more than happy to help allocate you a room away from the train tracks the next time you're coming back to Melbourne.

Reviewed 2 April 2014

Only stayed one night but it was problem free. The room was very clean and the staff were pleasant and polite and very helpful. The room itself has clearly worn furniture and the cupboards in the bathroom are clearly past their prime but like i said - it was very clean. The pool area with spa was great although there was a local from the apartments in Wellington crescent behind the hotel making use of the spa. It's so close to the MCG anyone seeing a game their would be crazy to stay anywhere else. I've seen people complain about noise from the nearby trains but I didn't notice it at all from inside the hotel, only when i was out the front on the street. All in all I'd be more than happy to stay there again. Also the room provided a microwave oven which i didn't have in a 5 star Hotel which I stayed in the night before!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends

Good morning,

Thank you for taking the time to document your experience at Mantra on Jolimont. I do appreciate it and will be sure to share your comments with the team!