“Convenient For The Football”
Review of Mantra on Jolimont

Mantra on Jolimont
Ranked #98 of 161 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed 3 May 2014

This was our second stay at the Mantra On Jolimont with an overnight stay after the football at the MCG. It is very convenient for this reason only. Very disappointing, with our room (705) being very basic. Expected much more for the price we paid. No bath & the shower receptacle was extremely small, with mould visible on the tiles. The bar fridge needs replacing. Rust around the door. Cups were chipped. We bought our own snacks (cheese & biscuits) to have after the game, however there was no knife to cut the cheese - only spoons, so we had to make do with that. The room is looking very tired and dated and in much need of an upgrade. We ate dinner in the restaurant downstairs before the game and the service was excellent, with the meal reasonable. Breakfast the following morning, was nothing to rave about, but again the service was very good. Staff were pleasant and nothing was too much trouble for them. Will we be staying again ? Perhaps not. The Hilton on The Park is a comparable distance from the MCG and we will give this a try next time.

Room Tip: Bring your own supply of milk and a few more towels ! If wanting to have your own nibbles, dip etc...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dianne B
JolimontMGR, General Manager at Mantra on Jolimont, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2014

Good morning,

Thank you for taking the time to document your experiences at Mantra on Jolimont. It saddens to to read about your time here, as usually we hit the mark with our guests.

I've followed up with our housekeeping department regarding your comments surrounding the room clenliness and amenities as this is unacceptable - normally they are excellent in this regard.

705 is one of our Studio rooms which are our smaller room types - we have recently completed a refresh of furniture in our 1 Bedroom Apartments which we'd be happy to help arrange for your next stay at Mantra on Jolimont - please feel free to make contact directly to book in next time!

campbell.lee@mantra.com.au

Write a ReviewReviews (1,851)

Reviewed 27 April 2014

Terrible outdated hotel. Furniture in room was old and dated. Carpet in room stained. Staff need more training on how to deal with complaints. Totally disgusting hotel and would never stay there again.

Room Tip: Don't bother stay somewhere else
2  Thank jean j
JolimontMGR, General Manager at Mantra on Jolimont, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2014

Good morning,

Perhaps you could drop me a line either here on TripAdvisor, or by emailing me using the address below so I can discuss your experience in more detail and be able to fully investigate your experience. Obviously I would like the opportunity to rectify those items that made your time here 'disgusting', but based on your comments and profile I'm having difficulty locating your reservation/room number etc.

campbell.lee@mantra.com.au

Reviewed 21 April 2014

I would only stay at the Mantra Jolimont if I wanted to go to the MCG which is what we did, flying down from Brisbane for 2 nights. The staff are friendly but the rooms are tired and a bit tatty. Flat pillows but we were happy that we could open a window so we could turn off the aircon. Comfy beds but well worn I reckon. Buffet breakfast was good and eggs available how you like them. Mini bar milk was not replenished so we missed out on our wake up coffee. Would come back again next footy trip.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

Good morning,

Thank you for posting a review of Mantra on Jolimont, I do appreciate you taking the time to document your thoughts regarding the property.

Please do feel free to contact us directly to arrange your next reservation, we'll look forward to hearing from you!

Reviewed 10 April 2014

We choose this hotel specifically for it proximity to the MCG for an AFL evening match.
The hotel itself is a little dated and furniture a bit worn but the bed is comfortable, the room is clean and quiet.The staff are friendly.
Breakfast doesn't commence until 8 am. Patrons were lined up outside the breakfast room which took me by surprise. The pastries on offer were delicious and freshly baked. There was variety to cater for all types of diets.
For the price and proximity of this hotel, it is the perfect location for an overnight stay for an event at the MCG.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
JolimontMGR, General Manager at Mantra on Jolimont, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2014

Good morning,

Thank you for taking the time to document your experience at Mantra on Jolimont. It's a great location for making the most of footy at the MCG. Thank you for your 'tip' regarding Saturday & Sunday Breakfast opening times - we do struggle to get staff here as many casual hospitality staff rely on public transport which has much later starting times on weekends hence the slightly later opening hours - which we hope allows people to have a sleep in... Please though, if you are staying with us and require an earlier breakfast, chat to one of our front desk staff, we should be able to sort out a continental breakfast pack at the very least if you need to get moving before 8.

Reviewed 10 April 2014 via mobile

Old world 'club' decor is a surprising and welcoming element of this hotel. Rooms are strong, comfortable and clean. The hotel disappoints however by under estimating the need for detail. (eg. Room bar fridge not replenished, empty tissue box in bath room, 30 minute wait for poached eggs at breakfast, TV remote control not working.)
Nice people, friendly reception team and very comfortable hotel design and furnishings however will bring me back for another
try.

• Stayed: April 2014

Good morning,

I am glad you enjoyed some aspects of the property, and rest assured that we will be sure to action those items you have raised for our attention. I was already aware of the wait for your poached eggs and am happy to say we've addressed this with our breakfast cook - regrettably they didn't have any poaching water on as the restaurant opened so I believe this was the main source of the wait. I have passed on your comments regarding the tissue box, our minibars are only checked on departure so I will make sure the tent card we usually have advising this is checked in all rooms, and I hope the television remote was replaced promptly!

Reviewed 9 April 2014

We received an email advertising Mantra's 48hr flash sale and managed to book a 1 bedroom apartment for $109/night which we thought was great value for Melbourne CBD. Having stayed at other Mantra's many times previously we were happy with the standard of rooms and quality of service. This property is clearly older than other Mantra properties we have stayed at, and while some parts are quite dated the property is clean and pleasant. The apartment had been (mostly) refurbished and was spacious enough although not huge. The queen bed was comfortable. Drawers would have been good in the bedroom but there was plenty of wardrobe space. The staff were all very friendly and helpful if called upon, although we were fairly self sufficient during our stay. The outdoor pool and heated spa area were great and we were fortunate to have warm weather during our week long stay. We didn't eat in the restaurant but other guests we spoke to raved about how good the food was. It was only a short walk to the closest tram stop, about a 200 meter walk to the MCG (great if you're there for the footy), and only a short walk (1.5km) to Federation Square / Melbourne CBD. In all we were happy with our stay and would happily recommend this property to others.

Room Tip: We requested a room on the 'quiet side' of the hotel (away from the train track) and had no...

Good morning,
I'm glad you enjoyed your stay! We are in a great position to make the most of your concerts and sporting at Rod Laver Arena or the MCG. Thanks also for your other 'traveller tips' - I'm sure others will appreciate them.

Reviewed 9 April 2014

My wife and I stayed here for a night recently and were reasonably happy with the accomodation and very happy with the service. We had a one bedroom apartment and found it value for money and quite comfortable.
My only concern was when I asked to park my car (there were plenty of spaces), I was told that I would need to leave my keys. The reason for this, I was told, was that if the car park became full then my car would be moved off site, but I wasn't told where "off site" was. I also was asked to sign a damage disclaimer for this as well. I realise parking space is limited, but it should be a case of first come first served. Fortunately when I said I didn't want my car moved that was accepted by the staff and my car was left in the car park.
I fail to see if I arrive in time to get a parking spot that my car would need to be moved to an unknown location. If it is driven by a staff member, then that person is responsible for any potential damage or accident, and a guest should not be asked to sign a waiver. This could have been a down side to our stay, but the staff were very pleasant and accomodating and were only following policy (which I think should be re-assessed)

Good morning,

Thank you for taking the time to document your experience at Mantra on Jolimont. I'm so glad that you enjoyed your time with us, and appreciate the time you've taken to document your experience at the Hotel. I hope you will bear with me while I address your main concern regarding car parking.

You are spot on in your advice to arrive early - this is the best way to secure a car space for the night. During the week we only have access to our onsite car spaces, but of a weekend we do have access to a corporate car park just across the road in one of the office buildings on Jolimont Road that we move cars to on occasion. These are juggled and are dependent on when you are likely to depart the following day - if you are departing later in the morning, the car will be moved across the road, if you are departing earlier it will be left onsite - this is all just to expiadite the check out process and avoid unnecessary waits for your car. The waiver is standard as requested by our insurance companies, any damages etc are always assessed on a case by case basis.

I hope this addresses your concerns, but please feel free to contact me directly at the Hotel if none of that made sense...!