“Great Muslim Fashion Exhibition”
Review of Immigration Museum

Immigration Museum
Ranked #31 of 435 things to do in Melbourne
More attraction details
Owner description: Explore Australia's history and culture. Journey through Melbourn's history and explore stories of people who have migrated from all reaches of the world. From the reasons for making the journey, to the impact on indigenous communities, these stories are sometimes sad, sometimes funny, but always engaging. Located in the Old Customs House in the heart of the city - an easy walk from Flinders St Station or Southern Cross (or catch the free City Circle Tram).
Reviewed 10 May 2014

I visited this museum in April. I really enjoyed the Muslim Fashion Exhibition with the different stories of the individual Muslim women, especially the designers who came up with solutions to fill the fashion gap caused be wearing more traditional gear. The fashions were beautiful and very feminine while being modest.

The immigration portion of the museum was also interesting. I particularly enjoyed the individual stories. The exhibit of the modes of transportation for immigration also hit home for me. My father worked in a dutch transport ship that was later converted to an immigration ship, and he later used the converted ship to came to Canada instead of Australia. The backgrounds for immigration for both countries are very similar. I could picture him in the ship after seeing the exhibit.

I would recommend this museum if you have a couple of hours to spare.

Reviewed 10 May 2014

I had a few hours to not spend at the shops so spotted this attraction on my walking around
It was excellent value for $10 with 2 full floors of information
I someways I wish I had spent more time on the recent migrants rather than the history
It has a mock boat that has privy sounds of people being very unwell glad no realistic smells!
The dictation test was such an eye opener as was the interview section which allows you to determine who gets in or not and the type of questions that get asked
Having jumped through hoops to emigrate to Aus myself it brought back memories of the form filling and medicals.
The identity section was so illuminating on what new Australians go through to fit in.
It remained me of the privilege I have for being born white, Scottish and educated.
Only my gender put me lower on the ladder of success.

Reviewed 10 May 2014

This is a very interesting and unusual museum documenting the history of Australian and particularly Melbourne immigration. The histories given in the video interviews are often very moving. Anybody with a family link to immigration will find it very valuable but even without a direct genetic link you will be impressed about how immigration has blended together in Melbourne much more than elsewhere.

1  Thank md1mm
Reviewed 3 May 2014

Good staff and well curated and I think was worth the visit. The story of all immigration and interesting given today's discourse about immigration -

1  Thank Wiced
Reviewed 25 April 2014

This was very interesting. 3 floors to look at. As we both came out with our parents when young as ten pound poms it had lots about this. Very impressive. Also the fashion section on 3rd floor was great.

3  Thank JoHebditch