“Extremely Unpleasant, Stay Away!”
Review of Royce Hotel

Royce Hotel
Ranked #34 of 160 Hotels in Melbourne
Sydney
“Extremely Unpleasant, Stay Away!”
Reviewed 1 October 2007

Booked two nights accommodation and when we arrived, found the room to be very small and very inadequate. Since there was a bar mitzveh underway, the hotel was full and therefore our request to move to a more reasonable room (we offered to pay extra) couldn't be fulfilled. We left the hotel and found other accommodation. We were charged for the full two night stay. Management was rude and did not respond to my calls or emails to explain why two nights' accommodation charge was processed. I would not recommend this hotel.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Room was very small, management are rude
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank elpuncho

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 27 August 2007

This hotel has been really nicely renovated. The balcony room was very nicely appointed and modern. The bathroom was also new and very nice. The shower didnt leak. There were slippers and gowns provided. It felt almost on a par to the Westin room-wise.

The restaurant had a very good breakfast with fresh fruit and freshly baked goods which is always a good sign.

The staff were nice altough not the most helpful for tourist info. Thats a small gripe.

The location is excellent, very close to the city centre and on a busy tram route so we never waited more than a few minutes for a tram.

• Liked — Room, location
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple
3 Thank VietnameseNoodles
Brisbane
Reviewed 1 August 2007

This was the second time I stayed at the Royce and the first since the renovations. I booked via a special on the internet and at $200 a room with breakfast per night, felt it was good value. However I certainly wouldn't pay too much more given the beds and pillows were too firm and the decor of the renovated rooms a little dark.
On the positive side, the room service was excellent, as were the breakfasts. The buffet was on the simple side but had everything that I liked. In particular the pastries and muffins were sensational. The location of the Royce is convenient as it is right on the tram line and is only a 10 minute ride into the centre of town.
The staff were friendly and efficient. When I didn't get my paper one morning, I subsequently received 3 complimentary papers to read!
All up a good stay but try not to pay much more then $200/night!

• Liked — big plasma tv
  • Disliked — firm bed and pillows
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled on business
1 Thank sausagedog500
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 30 May 2007

Stayed here for one night and it was okay, but not 5 star. we had a balcony with a lovely view, nice and quiet. Small room although nicely decorated, bathroom way too small, in particular the shower which leaks water onto the tiles (no shower screen, hardly safe). Lighting in the bathroom is dreadful for doing make up and no hooks to hang robes etc on. Also the light switches are very difficult to find and understand in the middle of a dark night! Breakfast was in a pleasnat enivroment but standard fare.
Staff at front desk have no personality at all. Although it was reasonably priced.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Bathroom and lighting
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled on business
2 Thank libstar
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 25 February 2007

Good Points: Room was modern, breakfast at the Amber Room was OK

Bad Points: When you stay at 5 Star you expect 5 Star service. We got one of the dreaded second floor rooms beside a lift. Our request for a change of room was met with 'there are absolutely no other rooms available'. This was completely unbelieveable; we were staying on a quiet Sunday night. We persisted and finally, after threats of calling the hotel Manager at home, were grudgininly shown a mezzanine room on the first floor - street level and hideous (see other reviews for the "delights" of these rooms and the accompanying tram/street noise).

So we ended up back in our second floor room beside the lift. Noisy elevator. Noisy air conditioner (had to turn it off). Wet bathroom floor (almost killed myself on the wet tiles). No bath (only pathetic shower with water that goes beneath shower door onto tiles hence wet floor). Shocking service.

If you want anything like 5 Star avoid this place like the plague; much better service for the same price in Melbourne elsewhere. I'll never stay at Royce again and I certainly wouldn't dream of recomending it to anyone for either business or pleasure. Look elsewhere! You have been warned...

• Stayed February 2007, travelled as a couple
8 Thank BusinessClassExile
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 9 January 2007

We stayed at the Royce over New Years when all the other 5 star hotels were booked out or really expensive. The Royce was the cheapest and I suppose for that reason I shouldn't complain too much. But why they insist on calling themselves 5 star I do not know as even with a cheap price people still expect a certain level from a 5 star hotel. Examples....no bathrobes (even though the hangers were in the cupboard with the purchase spiel on them) so I had to phone for one, asked for Weekend Aust delivered in the morning and got Herald Sun, they shut their bar at 10pm on NYE despite being guests in there and people coming in (I asked reception and they don't normally shut that early) - it was obvious the bar staff did not want to be there, we booked a deluxe room (not the cheapest) - no bath which is just plain annoying, the electronics were stupid and badly designed, SO complicated that it was ridiculous - the plasma TV would not turn off by remote, bedside lights were above you so if one wanted to read, the other person had a stupid down light shining down. I could go on....

Anyway we had a nice stay, decent price, lovely location, comfy bed, apples in reception, fox sport, great view from our room however I wouldn't be rushing here to stay again.

• Stayed January 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank or_elsa
Melbourne
Reviewed 15 September 2006

After seeing your awful reviews I felt absolutely compelled to write something nice about this stunning hotel.

My boyfriend and I stayed here last year. The staff at check-in were beyond friendly - extending our check in time and throwing in a free full breakfast!

The room was modern, lovely and clean. We managed to sleep very well!

We had room service which was far better than any other I have had (room service is usually pretty poor) and breakfast in DISH was truly one of the best breakfasts I've ever had.

I have already recommended this hotel to all my friends.

PLEASE don't listen to those in our community who clearly had their hearing aids switched up one too many notches!

GREAT hotel!

• Liked — Rooms are really comfortable and modern. Staff are very friendly and professional - breakfast was JAW-DROPPING
  • Disliked — I honestly can't think of anything.
  • Tips/Secrets — www.wotif.com - cheap deals!
  • Stayed September 2005, travelled as a couple