“Central for Trams Good Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Royce Hotel

Royce Hotel
Ranked #33 of 158 Hotels in Melbourne
sydney
“Central for Trams Good Hotel”
Reviewed 29 January 2009

Neat and tidy room, good friendly service. Close to transport on a busy Australia Day Weekend. Woulds stay there again.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (218)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Darlinghurst, SYDNEY
Reviewed 29 January 2009

I was so looking forward to my week away in Melbourne. I'd planned to stay in a fantastic 5 star hotel (eg Lindrum, if only I'd visited this site first), spend a kings ransom on clothes and shoes and wine and dine the evening with my melbourne buddies....

I'd had visionsof spoiling myself, had hoped for some attention and help with my huge amount of luggage (3 nights!), when I arrived at the front door in a limo, but no; I had to drag my bags in, open the front door myself, interrupt the front desk girl from her magazine, find my own way to my suite etc etc.....

Fortunately I started early on the champagne in the very nice restaurant attached to the hotel. It made the thin veneer of quality that had been employeed in the incomplete renovation seem somehow more substantial when view through a glass of french bubbles.

the room was spacious and very cold on arrival, which was great, as it was 43 degrees outside! it was however the 'second floor' suite that overlooked the loading bay and faced (without double-glazing) the frightening st kilda road tram noise. The better suite apparently live on the 5th and 6th floors, none became available during the 4 days I was there for a look!!

The hotel is badly positioned, every step outside requires transportation to destination, walking is not an option from this place to anywhere in melbourne summer!

5 star features I couldn't find
comfortable bed
razor
water pressure
quality bathroom products
gym (a small triangular room with a treadmill is NOT a gym)

The only real upside to the hotel was the price, it was cheap, now I understand why.....AVOID.....

• Liked — the amount of space in the suite
  • Disliked — everything about the place is a lie, its simply not a 5 star hotel...
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled solo
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 13 September 2008

I recently stayed at the Royce whilst on a business trip. Check in was quick and easy. I had a room on the 5th floor, which was in keeping with the reception area and beautifully decorated. I did notice that some of the other floors where quite different to this one and obviously out dated.
My room was very clean and well appointed. I couldn't work out the TV and the front desk was very helpful when I called for assistance. Only 2 small faults with the room, the data cable point beside the bed didn't work and there was no spare blanket in the room, however one was brought straight up to the room when requested.
I had room service one night and this was very fast and pretty good value for money. The gym is very substandard for a 5 star hotel, only a very small room with 3 pieces of equipment, and it does nothing to enspire you to workout.
The breakfast in the restaurant is only continential and I would have expected a cooked one to be available.
Overall I was really happy with my stay at this hotel, great location efficient service and a beautiful modern room.

• Stayed September 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank leanne7r
Sydney
Reviewed 27 August 2008

We experienced the same disappointing problems during our stay as the majority of reviewers in this forum.
There is no parking at this motel, so be prepared to pay around $50 per night to park in the commercial car park over the road and haul your baggage the distance. (Fabulous in the rain!)
Our room wasn't ready on arrival. We were made to wait in the bar, for THREE hours until it was ready.
The room stank of deodoriser. We were kept awake for hours with the noise of a wedding party in the hotel, and of other guests returning to their rooms. The light from the hallway shone very brightly under our door....we had to block it out with a towel.
Couldn't turn the heating past 18 degrees. I find it hard to believe that anyone without a vested interest could rate this hotel as anything above sub standard.

• Stayed July 2008, travelled on business
2 Thank molliieemoo
Sydney
Reviewed 25 June 2008

I sympathise with the other reviewer... This has been the one time I didn't check the ratings before staying somewhere, and boy, did I suffer for it.

The Royce is nothing but false advertising. Sure, the website looks all nice and eclectic, and from the outside and in the lobby the place looks great. Then you get to your room. Cheap furnishings, smells like a Best Western hotel, and looks like one in many respects too. Not plush, inviting and fashionable as the site and lobby suggests. Yes, it really does look and smell cheap and nasty.

Then my biggest bugbear - false advertising at its worst. I work in Digital Media, and online access is vitally important to me. Hating being chained to a desk in a hotel room, it's crucial that any hotel I stay at must have wireless. And the Royce's website says it does. When I tried to connect to wireless and called the lobby to complain when I couldn't, they told me that they do have wireless, but you have to see them to get the password, and it will then cost... get this.... $10 per half hour. $10 PER HALF HOUR! That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. How can you say you have wireless internet when, you do... at $20 an hour!!!! That is insane. We are in Australia. Wireless internet does NOT cost $20 an hour.

I will never return to the Royce. I will never recommend the Royce. This hotel is marketing itself well beyond its means. It is a 3 star hotel at best and should be upfront in marketing itself that way. Oh, stop the lies! Read through the ratings here, and you'll find casualty after casualty after casualty. I feel scammed and taken advantage of. Even worse, I'm stuck here, paid up for a 5 night booking!

• Stayed June 2008, travelled on business
3 Thank Blonde_from_Sydney
melbourne australia
Reviewed 9 June 2008

This place is so bad in so many ways it makes it difficult to begin!
1. The bed (aka camp bed) in our 'deluxe' room folded down from the wall and was without doubt the worse night sleep I have ever had ever!
2. The shower door wouldnt close and you cant help but flood the bathroom
3. There is no parking unless you want valet parking
4. The dining room floor hadnt been swept from the night before and there were food scraps under the tables
5. The lights in the bathroom didnt work
6. The temperature control was stuck on 18 degrees - Melb in winter is something not limited to outside apparently
7. The staff really dont care about anything you might complain about and just keep repeating 'thats unfortunate'
Im in the process of writing to the Victorian Hotels Assoc about their supposed '5 Star' rating - avoid this place like the plague!

• Liked — checking out
  • Disliked — not realising how bad it was before we got there
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank AussieWorldTour
Dubai
Reviewed 27 May 2008

The Royce's website is very deceiving. We check in for one night and planned to stay in Melbourne another night. We ended moving the second night to Crown Promenade.

Room smelt. Bathroom was awful, Drain in floor flooded when we showered. Bartender could not make cocktail I ordered. restaurant was closed and room service menu awful. There was no place to park when we arrived at 6pm on Sunday night. We had to check in, go back to our car to get our bags and bring them to the room ourselves (while the three staff stoof behind front desk watching me struggle with the bags). 5 star it definately is not...

Breakfast that was included in the restaurant was awful. Nothing else to stay but we would never stay again or recommend anyone stay there.

• Liked — Leaving for another hotel
  • Disliked — staff, food and beverage, quality of product
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled on business