“Great :)”
Review of The Hotel Windsor

The Hotel Windsor
Ranked #30 of 161 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed 9 January 2013

A fantastic place to stay. Old world service and charm but not pricey.
A perfect place to stay in the city. The rooms are good and clean and the high tea is renowned.
Perfect for a night or two in the city. The higher the room the better the view (of course~) so request this at booking time, the staff are more than happy to accomodate you. Very knowledgable staff and concierge etc. Will be staying again!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Nick M, Front Office Manager at The Hotel Windsor, responded to this reviewResponded 12 January 2013

Dear This_Is_My_Password,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us.

It is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and found your room to be clean and comfortable. I do hope that you enjoyed your time in our wonderful city and I do look forward to welcoming you back when next in Melbourne.

As always we remain at your service.

Reviewed 7 January 2013

What a lovely & graceful hotel! Reluctantly I left this beautiful hotel after staying just the 1 night, but I will definitely return in the future. I booked through wotif.com as this was a very last minute flying visit to Melbourne & although my room had no view was pleasantly surpised at the delightful furnishings & size of the room. The bed was super comfy. Service was friendly & efficient.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
Nick M, Front Office Manager at The Hotel Windsor, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2013

Dear Mia K,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us.

It is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and found both your room comfortable and our service friendly and professional.

We do look forward to welcoming you back when next in Melbourne and as always we remain at your service.

Reviewed 7 January 2013

Our family stayed at The Hotel Windsor for the most fantastic five nights we have spent in Melbourne. The fabulous interiors and top quality service made us feel as though we were living out a Downton Abbey lifestyle for the week. Each morning we would descend the beautiful heritage staircase to enter a magnificent dining room for breakfast complete with white damask table cloths, silverwear, original paintings and fresh flowers. The food was superb and the waiters attended our every need. The hotel very kindly arranged adjoining Superior Rooms for our family. Both had fabulous views over Parliament House and were decorated in a beautiful period style. The service was the best I have ever experienced in Australia. The staff at the reception desk were warm, friendly and helpful. The concierge team were incredible. Nothing was too much trouble. My husband lost his wallet in a cab one evening on the way back to the hotel and the concierge went to no end of trouble to try to find it. The concierge team also gave us the best directions on how to get to all the Melbourne sights each day. The staff throughout the hotel were impeccibly dressed and gave fantastic service. They addressed us by name and made us feel at home at all times as if we had our own personal butler. And to really add a touch of class, a pianist played beautiful music in the foyer on many of the afternoons. Thanks Hotel Windsor for an experience we will never forget!

Room Tip: The Superior Rooms have great views over Parliament House. Choose the Bed and Breakfast option for t...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family

Dear Judy J,

Thank you for choosing The Hotel Windsor as your home whilst in Melbourne but more importantly for taking the time to review your recent stay with us.

It is simply wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your week and that you were looked after by the entire team who really do work tirelessly to ensure all of our guests have a magical experience.

We hope that this will not be your only stay with us and we really do look forward to welcoming you back when next visiting Melbourne.

Once again thank you and as always we remain at your service.

Reviewed 6 January 2013

I stayed at the Windsor on the 20th december as I had to see a surgeon in Melbourne. I only stayed the 1 night and took off my diamond stud earrings (which were valued at $1,500) and put them on the bedside table. I realized on my way back to the airport about 45mins after leaving the Windsor that I had forgotten my earrings so i called the hotel straight away.
They advised they would send the supervisor up to my room to look for them. They called me back on my mobile to say they could not find them, much too my horror. I would have thought being a 5 star hotel, something that was left behind would have been found as I had only checked out an hour before hand and know they were definately left in the room.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank sue d

Dear sue d,

Thank you for you review of your recent stay and for providing me with some details of your stay.

The hotel does have a strict "lost property" procedure which is adhered to by all it's staff so I am sorry that your earrings were not locate in your room. I can say with confidence that if anything was found that our team would have logged the item and store it securely. However please do not hesitate to speak with me to address this further.

Reviewed 6 January 2013

The Windsor is still a grand hotel. This was our first stay since the night after our wedding 25 years ago and we found the hotel has retained its style. There is much more competition these days but the Windsor still manages to impress. We took advantage of an on-line special deal so the price was very good and I'll keep an eye out for similar offers in the future. Our room was a good size although the location of the air conditioner by one side of the bed did mean that we had to turn it off overnight so that my wife wasn't too cold. In a Melbourne heat wave, this meant that the room was a little warm by morning, but not awful.

Our rate included breakfast which we found to be reasonable but not quite up to the standard that I have come to expect from top hotels. I would not want to pay $35 for a buffet that lacked the variety that I expect to see.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear MikeDav,

Thank you for staying with us and for reviewing your visit.

It is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and were able to relive memories of some 25 years ago. We do have so much history in our hotel and hearing that our guests also appreciate it is simply fantastic.

Once again thank you and we hope to welcome you back in the near future and there not be such a delay between visits.

As always at your service.

Reviewed 6 January 2013

We were a little disappointed by the Windsor. It was a Wotif secret deal so we only paid $199 for the night, but still we found the hotel had a cigarette smoke smell to it. It must be in the walls. The bathroom was very small, very awkward space to get in and out of the shower and the toilet gets knocked by the door as you walk in. I thought I would mention the prices of the wine - a 375ml bottle of white wine from the mini bar was $38, googled the wine and you can get it for $12, I expect them to make a profit but not that much, breakfast the next day $35 each. Needless to say we didn't spend anything extra at the Windsor....I can't say that we would recommend or be back.

Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Gucci1506,

Thank you for choosing The Hotel Windsor as your home whilst in Melbourne.

I would like to apologise for the cigarette smell you notice on your floor. We are a 100% non smoking hotel and have been for approximately five years now. Unfortunately at times guests still choose to smoke albeit at a substantial cost to them. Any instances of smoke we do act urgently as to not disturb our other guests and I do apologise that this was noticed by you.

Once again thank you for our review and we do hope that if we do have the pleasure of your company in the future that your stay be a far more enjoyable one.

Like us on facebook

Reviewed 5 January 2013

My partner and I stayed her throughout the year and we love it. The ambience is superb and the service is great. From the doorman dressed in exquisite attire to the check-in procedure, it is really first class. I love having a cocktail in the Cricketers arm, as it reminds me of yesteryear and is full of a great diverse cross section of Melboure's population. The view of Parliment house and the gardens is great and the atmoshphere is awesome. I have eaten in the restaurant many times and I highly recommend it. The high tea is second to none and always a great venue for the special occasion ie Mothers day. The desserts are subliminal.

The only reason I havent given it 5 stars is that some of the rooms are a little tired and need an upgrade, however it all adds to the ambience of this beautiful hotel.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple