“Something a bit different”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Hotel Windsor

The Hotel Windsor
Ranked #28 of 158 Hotels in Melbourne
Christchurch, NZ
“Something a bit different”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2013

I booked the Windsor through an Expedia mystery booking and I was very pleased with what I got! I was upgraded to a superior room which was great! The room was very tidy and it was a quiet night for a Saturday and two weddings were on downstairs. The customer service was outstanding and location great too. Enjoyed the heritage and history of the place too. Would highly recommend!

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Nick M, Rooms Division Manager at The Hotel Windsor, responded to this review, 18 December 2013
Dear Matt P,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your recent stay with us.

To hear that you enjoyed your stay with us is simply wonderful and is a credit to our service team.

Until your next visit we do, as always remain at your service.

Rooms Division Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (571)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2013

After finding ourselves in a dingy old fashioned tired room next door to a wedding party in full swing we asked to be moved to a new room. After a couple of hours a new room was provided in the renovated section. It was beautiful decor and much more appropriate considering the cost of the stay. Thank you for your response.

1 Thank Kate G
Dear Kate G,

Than you for reviewing your recent stay with us.

Although inconvenienced upon your arrival with your room allocation it is important for us to hear that our reception team was able to respond to your room request efficiently and were able to make for a pleasant stay.

I look forward to welcoming you back when next visiting Melbourne and if I can be of any assistance in ensuring a memorable and comfortable stay please do not hesitate to contact me directly at the hotel.

Once again thank you and as always, we remain at your service.

Wahroonga, AU
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2013

We love coming home to the Windsor - we make it at least once a year and stay in the same room - 306. Two things I would like to see in the future - free Wi-Fi throughout the hotel and a change back to the in room dining menu (as it was last year - more extensive) and the breakfast buffet including hot food as it was previously. Other than that, just keep things as they are - it's perfect.

Dear David A,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us.

It is wonderful to heat that you enjoyed your stay with us and more importantly I would like to thank you for your considered notes regarding both our breakfast buffet and room service menu. Both of which we are working on currently updating so your comments are quite timely and will be taken into consideration by our Director of Food & Beverage.

Once again thank you and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Bendigo, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2013

As a 'mature-aged' couple, both with degenerative eye conditions, we need to come from our country city quite regularly to visit our eye specialist. Early this year our attention was drawn to The Windsor, and we are so thankful for this.
It is very easy to reach from Southern Cross railway station, and as well the eye specialist and St Vincent's Hospital are easily reached, just a short distance by tram.
From the moment we approach the hotel entrance, everything is so easy... a true welcome, assistance with luggage, very efficient booking-in procedure, clear instructions on how to reach our room. (We had arrived quite early, before the room was made up, but when we returned a little later our luggage was awaiting us in our room. A complimentary bottle of 'bubbly' arrived soon after.
The next morning for breakfast we were looked after splendidly by efficient and courteous waiting staff. No problems at all to cloak our luggage, retrieving it after our appointment en route again to Southern Cross.
We are looked after so well that we hope to keep returning to The Windsor for our future specialist visits.

Dear Valerie P,

Thank you once again for choosing The Hotel Windsor as your home whilst in Melbourne.

It is wonderful to hear that we are able to offer that place of relaxation and comfort so close to your medical appointments at Epworth. Please rest assured that I will be sharing your kind words with our team and I very much look forward to welcoming you back to The Hotel Windsor when next visiting Melbourne.

Kind regards,

Eltham, AU
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2013

This hotel was recommended to me. It was lovely to spend our 33rd Wedding Anniversary there.
We were in a Deluxe room. The décor was lovely, old world style without anything looking shabby or feeling 'old'.
Would have loved to stay an extra night. Buffett continental breakfast was plentiful.
Have recommended this to friends.
Thank you Windsor Hotel, we will be back.

Dear Lorraine F,

Thank you for your review and my congratulations on 33 years together.

Please rest assured that I will be sharing your kind words with our service team whom I know will be very appreciative. Thank you also for your support in sharing your experience with your friends who I know will also have an enjoyable stay with us if we do in the future have the pleasure of their company.

Once again thank you and until next time we do as always remain at your service.

Kind regards,

Singapore, SG
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2013

For over 25 years until my wife and I moved to Singapore for five years in 2007, we used to stay regularly at the Windsor and invariably had an enjoyable experience. Last weekend I returned to the Windsor for the second time since 2007 and I was disappointed to be allocated an internal room with no view (apart from "frosted" windows) and located immediately adjacent to the elevator which meant being kept awake late into the early hours of the morning and then being woken up after only a few hours sleep as other guests went to breakfast or checked out. Although I could have stayed at the Grand Hyatt in a superior room with a nice view including breakfast at a corporate rate of A$275 per night, I elected to stay at the Windsor for A$265 and A$365 per night with no breakfast, no view and being next to the elevator no sleep. In retrospect I am sure you would agree that I made the wrong choice. I gained the impression the hotel focuses more on weddings and associated guest accomodation than regular customers.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Nick M, Rooms Division Manager at The Hotel Windsor, responded to this review, 17 December 2013
Dear Jeffrey J,

Thank you for taking the time to review your most recent stay with us and from myself a belated welcome back to Melbourne.

I would like to thank you for your considered review which clearly outlines a number of items which I will be addressing this morning and with my team. The hotel does have a number of rooms at the back of the hotel (backing onto a lane way). These are ideal for a short overnight stay when travelling on business or the like however I can understand that for an enjoyable and relaxing weekend may not be as suitable.

As you are a return and regular guest if ours it is important that we recognise this and do all that we can to make every stay as memorable as the last for all the right reasons and I must offer my sincerest apologies that this was far from the case on this occasion.

May I ask that if every travelling to Melbourne in the near future that you contact me directly at the hotel so I can personally assist in ensuring a stay which will I hope restore your faith and fond memories of The Hotel Windsor.

Bellerive, AU
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2013

This was our 3rd stay here (2nd this year) & we were so looking forward to staying again BUT room 429 is a big no no! Whatever you do, do not stay in this room. There is a noise like a freight train coming through the "old vents" (especially in the bathroom). It doesn't matter whether the air conditioning is on or not, this roar is constant & doesn't stop. I challenge anyone to sleep through this noise. This was by far the worst room we have ever had here & was very disappointing for the cost. We understand it was a busy time of year but standards had dropped also e.g. having to ask for a towel on the 2nd day as it had not been replaced. The loss of sleep caused by this noisy room has compounded our ratings & comments because it used to be our favorite place to stay in Melbourne, a place we had vigorously recommended in the past. We will now look for better value as you cannot charge this nightly fee unless you are providing an exceptional experience. To write this is such a shame and saddens me as our previous experiences were delightful.

1 Thank Nigel G
Dear Nigel T,

Thank you for reviewing your most recent stay with us and for indicating a number of items especially related to your room 429 which I will be addressing as a matter of urgency this morning with our maintenance team to firstly find out what is making that loud humming noise which disturbed you throughout your stay.

It is wonderful to see that your did find your room cleaned to a high standard however it is the little things which matter and can at times make for a frustrating stay such as a missing towel. I do hope that our other team members which you encounter were attentive during your stay.

May I ask that if we have the pleasure of your company in the future that you contact me directly at the hotel so I can ensure for you a pleasant and far more enjoyable experience in the hope of restoring your faith in us and leave with memories far more befitting The Hotel Windsor.

I look forward to hearing from you in the near future and once again my sincerest apologies for what was an unpleasant stay.

Until then we do, as always remain at your service.

With my sincerest regards and thanks,