“The Hotel Windsor is a beautiful, peaceful oasis in a busy world.”
Review of The Hotel Windsor

The Hotel Windsor
Ranked #29 of 160 Hotels in Melbourne
Gold Coast,Australia
“The Hotel Windsor is a beautiful, peaceful oasis in a busy world.”
Reviewed 9 October 2010

This was my third stay at the Windsor and, as I stepped out of the taxi and saw the smiling, jolly doorman, I instantly switched into holiday mode. The staff are clearly very well-chosen; they anticipate your needs and nothing is to too much trouble. Everything is done with a graciousness that so often eludes us in modern life and while travelling. I don't know quite how they do it, but they make you feel that you are the most important guest in the hotel.

The rooms are lovely. If you favour minimalist decor, The Windsor is not for you. If, however, you are after a nurturing, comfortable and elegant room, look no further. The beds ensure a great night's sleep and there is a wide range of pillows to choose from. I like the one that's provided on arrival the best and on this last visit I combined it with an aromatherapy pillow - and felt very spoilt!

The rooms have high ceilings and are very spacious, rare in more modern accommodation. The public areas are magnificent. The breakfast is a delight.

The location is ideal if you want to stay in the city. The free tourist tram passes out the front every 15 or 20 minutes and does the loop around the CBD. I haven't used it yet as I find I can walk to just about everywhere. There are plenty of restaurant/cafe choices withing walking distance with Pellegrini's Cafe and The Italian Society restaurant just around the corner in Bourke Street being my favourites, along with various excellent Chinese restaurants a few minutes walk away in Chinatown. The Rod Laver Tennis Centre is about 15 minutes walk away; no need for a taxi.

I'm already looking forward to my next trip to Melbourne and staying at the Windsor. It's my home away from home.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank MaryLHardy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (592)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 29 September 2010

My partner and I stayed at the Windsor for his most recent birthday. He'd mentioned a desire to experience the city's most famous hotel on many occasions, and so I organised the weekend and checked in early to set up the room. On arrival, the girl who checked me in was surly, unfriendly and ultimately confusing. After a misunderstanding about a credit card for room expenses, she made me feel like an absolute criminal who had no right to be there. That feeling stayed with me throughout my visit and in many ways ruined a weekend we'd been looking forward to for months. Every time I walked through the lobby she glared at me, and I wished I'd chosen a different hotel.

As for the hotel itself, it's a lovely old venue and some care has been taken with telling its history. Reading the displays in the lobby area is worth the time. The bar, however, is sadly lacking in charm, despite the old photos and wooden bar area. There are many other lovely pubs in the area more worthy of your time and money.

As for the room, he room itself was decorated in a period style and was definitely large enough, but was a bit faded and worn for the price (and compared to other period hotels I've visited). Despite the double glazing, it was a very noisy night (from the traffic as well as the neighbours, the heating, the water pipes...). Staying at the Windsor just didn't feel like a luxury experience, except for the price.

The final straw for me was when we were leaving--I was carrying several large items, a box of gifts and my purse and pulling a small suitcase. The bellman didn't even look at me as I struggled to get through the double set of heavy doors on my own, but leapt at the chance to open the door for my partner as he came through separately, carrying one item only.

I submitted some feedback to the general manager and never received any response or acknowledgement of our poor experience at the Windsor. In future I'll spend my time and money in some of Melbourne's other fine establishments.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank ENSimpson
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 29 September 2010

This is a nice hotel. The staff are very friendly.

Parking out the front was difficult and we had to pay for valet parking. I believe they use a public car park located directly behind the hotel.

The bed was comfortable, but the room was very small. The bathroom felt very cramped. Water pressure was poor.

Breakfast was good, but rather expensive. Considering the quality food in Melbourne, we would have been better off having breakfast at a local cafe.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
Wollongong
Reviewed 13 September 2010

Gorgeous, original Victorian heritage architecture and features. May not be everyone's cup of tea, but for those looking for old fashioned charm and service The Hotel Windsor is in a class of it's own. Far more character and history than any modern style hotel and impeccable service. If you are all about the slick mod cons, or looking for a spa/pool etc, this is not the place for you, but I'd definitely recommend it for someone looking for comfort and luxury with a different twist, for an Aussie hotel, anyway. The beds were comfy and it was very, very quiet. The staff are pleasant, helpful and friendly.

I had a girls' weekend away catching up with my mum and my sister, and we found the room rate great for a 5 star Grand Hotel. The breakfast is not very good value, however, for $30 I'd have like a great range to choose from. I've had better breakfast buffets at a much lower price.

The location couldn't be better, in the heart of Melbourne, directly opposite the tram and Parliament House, and only a couple of blocks away from Chinatown.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
Somers, Victoria
Reviewed 12 September 2010

Arrived at check in at 2.10pm our booked suite was not available so we received a free upgrade to a Victorian Suite. Outstanding service from the time we got out of our car until we left. Gorgeous suite with a sumptuous king size bed with down & feather pillows and doona. Large, white and thick bathrobes and towels. The room was on a corner of the hotel with large windows and noise from the outside was minimal. Can't wait to visit again.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Mission, Texas
Reviewed 10 September 2010

Having stayed at a B&B in St. Kilda last year, we wanted something in the city center this year. Using TripAdvisor, we checked a number of hotels in the range we wanted to spend. Some sounded pretty good, but then my wife found that the Hotel Windsor was offer a special package "deal". We stayed for six nights and it was delightful. It is an older hotel, but it really "looks" like a five star hotel. The staff are attired in understated elegance. Someone has gone to a lot of trouble to train them on how to really be helpful in all things. I nearly badgered the staff with questions and they were uniformly helpful.

The restuarant is a class act. Linen, silver, fine china. We didn't eat there (we're too cheap), but I had coffee and read the paper one morning. Very comfortable, silver coffee pot and attentative, even though they knew I was spending for a full meal.

The only down side is that the hotel needs (and I am told is getting) some re-furbishment. On some floors (where the less expensive rooms are) the carpets and hallways are a bit dark and need brightening up.

The room we had was extremely clean and well-maintained. The housekeeping staff were always smiling and greeting the guests.

More good news: It is right across the street from the Victoria State Parliament. They have a great (free) tour. A must see. Lots of eateries close by and a free (only up to 8:00PM) tram runs every 15 minutes in a square around the CBD. The Windsor is not a "glitzy" as the newer hotels, but it is a neat place to stay! The list of notables who've stayed there over the years is impressive.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 5 September 2010

This is a beautiful grand hotel which is perhaps the reason why the rooms are so noisy. Muffling of squeaky floorboards isn't perhaps a possibility due to heritage requirements? My suite was nicely furnished in keeping with the history of the hotel. It had lovely high windows overlooking Parliament House and despite being on a busy street there was no road noise, or from the busy downstairs bar. However every time someone upstairs walked from one end of their room to another the noise was intrusive. Likewise it would have been the same for anyone in the suite beneath me. The hotel was a bit stingy with personal amenities and refreshing of complimentary tea etc. however it was room service which was the show stopper - highly overpriced and poor quality, not in keeping with the Windsor's grand reputation.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business