Hotel Claremont
Crowne Plaza Melbourne(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
US$134
US$116
CrownePlaza.com
  • Restaurant
Radisson on Flagstaff Gardens(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
US$143
US$102
Radisson
  • Restaurant
Pan Pacific Melbourne(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
US$208
US$115
Hotels.com
  • Room Service
Alto Hotel on Bourke(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
US$120
US$104
  • Restaurant
The Hotel Windsor(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
US$181
Pegasus Apart'Hotel(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
US$110
US$88
  • Pool
Citadines on Bourke Melbourne(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
US$199
US$117
US$302
US$178
  • Restaurant
Treasury On Collins(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
US$200
US$157
  • Breakfast included
All reviewssouth yarra train stationbunk bedschapel streetguest housefree wifishared bathroomtoorak roadno liftsingle roominstant coffeesmall tvcontinental breakfastcooking facilitiesminute walkconvenient locationlocation is fantasticstreet noise
Reviewed 23 September 2013

This guesthouse does NOT have off street parking as it states on its website. My friend and I booked this place because it said that it had parking. After driving from Sydney and checking in, we were told that there was a public carpark across the street...that closed at 8pm and was $20 a day. So, we would have no access to our car ( or the car park ) if we were out after 8pm AND we would need to spend $140 EXTRA on parking. This is COMPLETELY unacceptable.
The accommodations are fine if you have no vehicle with you but this experience on our first night after a long day of driving made a very sour beginning to our vacation. Very unhappy. Update your bloody website.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
10  Thank sou1957th
Reviewed 13 September 2013

I stayed here for two nights and it was perfect for me. The location is fantastic with chapel st, main south yarra train station and the tram just 100m away! Shops and restaurants across the road! The shared bathrooms were really clean and always well stocked! The rooms were good, had opening window and were very clean. Only comment I would make about them is that mine only had a small lamp so it didn't give off much light at night, but that's not a biggy! Great place to stay while you are in Melbourne without being in CBD!

• Stayed: September 2013
6  Thank Hilary H
Reviewed 31 August 2013

I put myself and my friend up here for a couple of nights. Compared to my experiences of hostels in Europe, this was exceptional. The rooms were clean, beds were comfy, with beautiful Victorian high ceilings and the bathrooms always looked just-cleaned. We had a fridge in the room which was very useful, and got onto wifi okay. I got a bedroom on the second floor with one wall on Toorak street, and the noise was quite bad during the night. The windows let all the noise through, and i didnt sleep well as a result.

Also, for what we paid, we could have been in a four star hotel, had i booked with an internet offer somewhere else.. and this really is a hostel (unfortunately it was last minute, and some of the cheaper rooms were booked already). I definitely expect a bathroom to ourselves for that price, so that was a shame. Price was probably inflated due to location also - South Yarra is a great location, and if I hadnt been specific about being THERE, i would have been looking for a higher brow hotel with an offer online..

For a hostel, its great. Amazing even. For a hotel.. no way. And i think I am definitely more of a hotel girl..

Room Tip: I got a bedroom on the second floor with one wall on Toorak street, and the noise was quite bad.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Rachael A
Reviewed 26 August 2013

This place has the basic features of a backpackers' hostel (shared bathrooms, dorm room/bunk options, good rates), but without the grimy/slightly shady feel that a lot of backpackers' have! Huge positives: the room and bathrooms were spotless, service was good, and a basic breakfast was included - cereals, tinned fruit, juice and tea and coffee, with the option of toast with condiments. There was also free wi-fi.
The location is top-notch: Toorak St in South Yarra, close to hundreds of shops and good restaurants, and about 50m from the South Yarra train station so it's really easy to get into the city for sightseeing.
The only downside was that there was no parking. I came by car and ended up parking at a nearby shopping mall's parking lot, which turned out expensive. I would recommend coming here by public transport if possible.
Overall, because this was a really positive experience I am going to continue staying over here when I need a place to sleep in the city.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
5  Thank Linda M
Reviewed 12 August 2013

Although they claim it is a hotel, it is more of a backpackers. Hard to find entrance leads you to an old Victorian building with a sweeping staircase. Free buffet breakfast with cereal, toast, juice - if the staff feel as if you eat too much for breakfast, they just leave out a loaf of bread. Rented tiny room with bunkbeds that overlooked an ugly rooftop. Not the most attractive view. Communal TV and books. Nothing but a bed in your room. Shared toilets and showers. Had to go through the toilet rooms to find one that was the least disgusting. Sometimes toilets remained that way for 2 days - evidence of their cleaning schedule. However, when complained to desk staff, it was cleaned.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo