“Quality property”

Crown Towers Melbourne
Ranked #3 of 162 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed 24 July 2013

We stayed at Crown Towers for 4 nights and I was impressed by the quality of materials used when fitting out the inside of this hotel. It will last forever ! and congratulations to the team of architects/planners who were in charge. It goes with the saying : do something properly in the beginning and it will be less expensive in the long run. We had a large bedroom facing west towards the Yarra River and although not towards the centre city side, the view was fine. The place is spotlessly clean and my congratulations to the manager who is in charge of the servicing team. They certainly are doing a fantastic job in keeping the place look brand new. Our room had two queen beds and 3 comfortable chairs and a lovely large desk. It also had a walk-in wardrobe and an amazing bathroom. My daughter could lie in the bath and watch tv. The only negative I can comment on is that it took a while for the bath to fill, as if the water pressure was low. We had no problem with the water pressure in the shower. The towels and lined were of a high quality and as white as can be. We loved the bathroom accessories, good quality hair dryer and the chocolates at night and the complimentary newspaper.
Minor things that could be improved on: quality of ironing board and iron.
Since there is no free wifi could you kindly supply menus of the restaurants close to Crown. Of course free wifi would be greatly appreciated. We thought that the actual Crown Towers shop was very disappointing and it does not reflect what the hotel is all about.
Area for improvement: We thought that some of the reception staff command of English was not as good as it should be and some were not very friendly and forthcoming in providing information about the place and the locality of services on offer. I know it is a very large establishment and maybe one cannot expect boutique style service, but if that could be added it could up the establishment to a 6 star venue. It cost $35 per day to park in the car park directly beneath Crown Towers, but you can park for about $11 per day in the car park behind Crown Metropol off Clarendon Street.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view and the best view is towards the city centre.

Reviewed 23 July 2013

We stayed for two nights in a twin deluxe room last week and my mum stayed in a separate deluxe room. The rooms are second to none. From the pillows to the gorgeous beds, it was also exceptionally spacious given there were 2 queen beds in the room. Bathrooms are luxurious with the kids being able to watch tv whilst in the bath. The amenities and little touches are amazing. The pool is huge and great for everyone. Whilst I didn't use the crown spa this time it was exceptional service last visit. I gather the walls are not paper thin either given our daughter was sick and neighbouring rooms didn't hear a thing ! We ate at the Merrywell on the first night and whilst service was initially a bit all over the place the meal was great and kid friendly with sticker books etc provided. Also a great place for visitors to see what's going on at Southbank. The second night we ate at Lucky Chan also in Crown and this was great and obviously a favourite with Asians and Australians alike. Would recommend this. Overall would go back and stay at Crown in a heartbeat given you get such great value for the price .

Room Tip: The twin rooms are perfect for families with 2 queen beds.
1  Thank DaysB
Reviewed 23 July 2013

I have stayed in a fair few 5 star establishments in Australia but never have had my eyes opened to such luxury, almost opulence. We booked a twin room, so that we could have a separate area for my daughter and a bit more space however, upon checking in we were informed that because we required the 2 double beds they would provide us with an upgrade to a 2 bedroom suite. Upon entering the room we were blown away by the space, decor, cleanliness, luxury and the views from floor to celing - panoramic view of Melbourne and the Yarra River (breathtaking at night). I can honestly say that I have never stayed in such luxury, it took us a long time to take it all in and actually believe what we were seeing, and I mean the TV screens in the bathrooms take some beating. All staff were friendly, courteous and extremely efficient. Nothing was too much trouble - the staff that look after the swimming pool and spa deserve a special mention.
My only complaint would be the cost and speed of the Wifi - $25 for 1Mbps for 24 hours is quite steep.
The Crown has now set the bar for what “5 star Hotel” really means, for my family and I and I somehow doubt many others will be able live up to this fantastic experience - and I haven’t even started on the location and the proximity of the Hotel to some of Melbourne’s best sights and sounds. Thanks you to the staff and management of the Crown Towers.

Room Tip: Any rooms facing the Yarra River
Reviewed 22 July 2013

Treated myself to 2 nights at Crown Towers. I booked a Premier Suite with Crystal Club access and paid a lot of money for the privilege. I'll start by saying the room was fabulous. Lots of space, well decorated, great automatic blinds and curtains. Bathroom was luxurious although the shower was a bit dark. Amenities could be better. A good brand name product was expected for that kind of money rather than generic Crown stuff. The day beds were lovely and great for sitting and reading a book or watching TV. View was fabulous from the huge floor to ceiling windows. The staff were very pleasant and friendly. On my way down the hall on Saturday evening one of the lovely cleaning staff said 'good evening madam' then told me how nice I looked. Made my night to think somebody would take the time to notice. Bed was ok and linen and towels are very good quality.
Now for the areas that could be improved. Wifi should be free, particularly considering the high cost of the rooms. I have stayed in many hotels around the world and more often that not wifi is free. It's about time Crown caught up here. The Crystal Club is not worth the money. The check-in staff here were the only staff I found a little unpleasant. I touch over pretentious I think. The only good thing about it was the separate check-in. Breakfast was very average and afternoon tea consisted of cakes and fruit. You can only eat so many super sweet cakes before you start to feel sick. The evening canapes and drinks were definitely better. Really not worth the money for a few drinks and canapes. I ordered room service breakfast on the second morning (and paid extra for it) because breakfast was so unappetising.
I was on the 28th floor and could hear music playing when I tried to go to sleep. Sounded distant, but enough to get on your nerves when trying to sleep. I couldn't figure out if it was coming from another room or somewhere else. It was quite strange as until then I would have said it was the quietest mutli-room hotel room I had ever stayed in. Nothing on Sunday night which was perfectly quiet. You can barely even hear your own TV in the next room.
Would I stay again? Yes, but not bother with the Crystal Club. Oh, and I would definitely try for a better rate.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
MrAndrewCairns, General Manager at Crown Towers Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2013

Dear Jiffy004,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your extensive feedback after your recent stay at Crown Towers.

It was a real pleasure to read of your experience with our Housekeeping staff member and I am thrilled to be able to share such a good example of genuine service to the team, as a result. I do appreciate you passing this along as we pride ourselves on exceeding the guest expectation of the service they experience. I am glad too to read that you found the room to be fabulous.

Your comments about the Crystal Club and the room noise have been shared with the relevant management for follow up and again, I appreciate you bringing this to our attention.

While wifi is not free in the majority of Australian Hotels, we are reviewing our charging model for a possible change in the not too distant future.

Once again, thank you for your comments and I hope we have the chance to welcome you again.

Kind regards,

Andrew Cairns

Reviewed 22 July 2013

Visited Melbourne again for 3 nights and stayed at the Crown Towers - again! This is the quintessential luxury accommodation and I cannot understand how other places are allowed to call themselves 5 Star unless they can actually match the consistent performance from this property. The Crown group have got it right and whilst there are very places that reach perfection, this place comes as close as you can get.

Room Tip: There is no such thing as a bad room at the Crown Towers!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 July 2013 via mobile

My wife & I stayed one nite in a Deluxe King Room with Crystal Club access.

When we arrived we decided to splurge & paid the $50 for valet parking. Its a lot of money but so much easier than finding parking in the area. The valet staff were friendly & helpful.

We tried checking in downstairs but were advised we had a special check-in at the Crystal Club on Level 3. The staff were efficient & also helpful.

The staff at the Crystal Club check-in were efficient if a little clinical & cold. They gave us our keys & explained where our rooms were, but we never got told about the facilities, like the pool or spa, also didnt get told about the Signature Club or the Crystal Club perks (luckily I had researched all this).

If you haven't already, sign up for the free Signature Club. You get discounts off accom, free parking, etc. Well worth it.

Our room was on floor 14 (1406) & had a great view of Flinder St Station & Fed Square (beautiful at night). The room itself is massive. Loved the walk in dresser area, the inbuilt TV with the bath, the big shower, the day bed & large king bed.

The Crystal Club was amazing - we got there near the end of the afternoon tea (2-4pm), & the afternoon tea is great. Lovely finger food.

From 5-7pm is canapes & refreshments (alcohol is free). The canapes consist of a nice selection of deli meats, cheeses & dips, plus a delicious tuna canape (I don't normally like tuna). Be careful with the alcohol - you can be a little tipsy afterwards!

We had booked a dinner at The Merrywell, which we cancelled because the canapes filled us up. Had dessert at Baci and then waddled back to our room!

The only disappointment was the buffet breakfast - plenty of food on offer, but not worth the cost (its part of the Crystal Club package but costs $40pp normally). The food was a little bland and boring. Tried the omelette, fried mushroom & french toast. The omelette & mushroom weren't great. The french toast was nice. The buffet choices are plenty - pastry, cereal, hot food (bacon, sausages, tomato, mushroom), and juices. Maybe its because we got there at 9.45, but I found the hot food to be lukewarm to cold. But the guava, & the mango, juice were really delicious.

The wait staff at Crystal Cluv are a mixed bag - our waitress at canapes was friendly & chatty, the one at breakfast was efficient & cold.

One thing for the Crystal Club staff - not everyone who comes along is a regular, so please don't assume we know what we're allowed to eat & drink. At afternoon tea we just got asked "want a tea?" but didn't a drinks menu or get told what the tea options were. Had to drag it out of her.

But overall a wonderful experience. Expensive yes (helps when work gives you GV to cover 2/3rds of cost!), but everyone deserves a little luxury in their life, at least once!

• Stayed: July 2013

Dear CraigB1970,

Thank you for your feedback after your recent stay at Crown Towers.

While it was great to read that you enjoyed the stay overall, your comments about the Crystal Club are being reviewed with the relevant team members for improvement.

It would appear you made the very best of the facilities, which is a pleasure to read. We hope to see you again some time.

Kind regards,

Andrew Carins

Reviewed 22 July 2013

Probably one of the best hotel rooms I've stayed in. We were on the 9th floor, not directly facing the river, more over to the Queensbridge St side but the views were more than adequate.
We loved the bathroom - superb in every way. Separate shower and toilet recesses are wonderful. Also loved the luggage/walk-in-robe area. The room itself is nice and large and the bay window was a real treat for my wife.
All areas of the room were very clean! Decor was classy.
Didn't use the breakfast or restaurant facilities because there are lots of other food outlets in and around the casino.
We liked the fact that the casino itself is fairly unobtrusive from the hotel lobby.
Only gripe is the lack of any free wi-fi but not unexpected due to the casino's proximity.
All-in-all: highly recommended.