“Brillant Hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 158 Hotels in Melbourne
Melbourne, Australia
“Brillant Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2014

We stayed here a night before a wedding in October 2012 (does not let me go back that far). We stayed in a normal suite with a separate living area and bedroom. Our floor was low and not a great view but the hotel is really first class. The advantage of staying at Crown is that you have so many options for meals and entertainment within the complex. It is family and kid friendly, and worth while staying here if you are from overseas and want to stay within reach of the Melbourne CBD. Service is always good and would stay here again.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (522)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2014 via mobile

We were absolutely blown away by our stay at towers. We had our wedding at crown so we were given a free room for our wedding night. After a long night we went up to our room and discovered we had been upgraded to a stunning executive suite with a living room and wonderful L shaped lounge. This came in handy when our family and friends came up the next day. The staff had also organised a lovely card and champagne. It was such a wonderful room and experience that we've booked to stay again in march!

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Las Vegas, Nevada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2014

The customer service is so bad at this poor excuse of a five star hotel I am writing this review while still staying here. Australia is not known for its customer service and the Crown Towers lives up to that reputation. From check-in to check-out the staff act if you’re an inconvenience rather than a paying guest. I booked an Executive Club Suite that allowed access to the Crystal Club. Upon arrival at 1630 I stood in front of the staffs desk while he continued his telephone conversation with his friend for another 10 minutes before he decided to help and check me in. There was no “Hi” , “How can I help You?”, or even a slight “Welcome” , it was simply “What do you need?” This started out my trip on a sour note and it has only gotten worse.

Overall the room was not bad. Actually most parts of the hotel where you don’t have to deal with staff are just fine. The room is showing its age though. The TV in the bathroom didn’t work. I called about it within 1 hour of arriving and as I wait to check-out 2 days later it still doesn’t work. The carpet is dirty and clearly hasn’t been shampooed in several months or even years. The TV stand in the living room has a broken door that wont stay on.

Food around the hotel is not bad. Unfortunately to get anything you again have to deal with rude staff that could care less that your there. It shows in every aspect of how they conduct themselves. FYI, the Atlantic Restaurant should be avoided unless you like rubbery seafood.

As far as customer service I will say there has been ONE bright spot. There are lovely elevator attendant girls in the main lobby who are friendly and say hi. During my entire stay, visits to the Crystal Club, restaurants, casinos, spa, these are the only friendly people at the hotel.

Being from Las Vegas, I guess my expectations of customer service when paying $1380 for two nights were just to high. I’m not asking for someone waiting on me hand and foot, but a friendly hello , goes a long way.

If you’re looking for luxurious accommodations and friendly staff in Melbourne then by all means avoid the Crown Towers! The Crown Towers is a perfect example of a Billionaire building a hotel/Casino , hiring pretty people and not training them on service and execution of their proposed service. The Four Seasons, Peninsula’s and Ritz-Carlton’s of the world have nothing to worry about with Crown.

I suggest that anyone considering booking a reservation here to reconsider. There are much better TURE luxury hotels in this city that start with an S or L , that are miles ahead of the Crown Towers.

Please don't waste your money like I did here. If I hadn't pre-paid I would have gone to another hotel before the first night was over.

Room Tip: The rooms facing the north/river have much better views. If your stuck looking to the south like me...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
13 Thank Bobsobe6
MrAndrewCairns, General Manager at Crown Towers Melbourne, responded to this review, 4 February 2014
Dear Bobsobe6,

It was disappointing to read of your experience after your recent stay at Crown Towers.

While other reviews on the Trip Advisor site suggest that your experience is not indicative of a stay at Crown Towers, you have raised several points of concern, that I will share with the team for their consideration and review.

I am sorry that we were not able to meet your expectations on this occasion.

Kind regards,

Andrew Cairns
Bendigo, Victoria, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2014

Stayed 4 nights during the tennis. Excellent location, easy walk to tennis centre. Booked well in advance and got a very good rate. Room spacious, elegant with many nice touches. Television in bathroom and walk in robe not usual in hotel rooms. Pool area excellent. Staff all very attentive, it's all the little things that make this hotel better than most. Looking forward to staying there again. If you have a car be mindful of the parking fees, $40 per day to self park under the hotel.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2014

I was lucky enough to stay at the Crown Towers through my complimentary hotel stay on my American Express Platinum Reserve Card. Normally when in Melbourne for the tennis, I'm on the north side of the Yarra in the downtown core, in order to take advantage of the shopping and cafes, so this was a bit of a different experience. The first thing you notice is the customer service when you walk through the front door - you do truly feel like you are being welcomed and being taken care of. The room is pretty outstanding - very spacious, walk-in closet, comfortable beds (though Westin Heavenly bed still wins overall...), good desk area, and massive bathroom with large soaking bathtub (with a tv so you don't have to miss any of the tennis) and separate shower with large overhead rainshower fit-out. Lots of good little amenities in the bathroom. Very little to complain about in the room, but only recommendation was that it was small little details like caulking in the shower that could use a little more love. There was a nightly turndown service, and I have to say I fell in love with the bathrobe - so much so I am thinking of buying one from their online gift store. I unfortunately did not have time to visit the pool or spa, as I was hitting the tennis so often, but next time I plan to do so. I did order one meal in, and while the overall presentation was fabulous and the accompanying items were great, the steak could have been a lot better. This could have been a one off though. The reality is that there are so many restaurants located in the building that you're likely better off going down to one of them anyway - you've got everything from 5-star to Food Court eats within minutes of the elevator. Location to the tennis is fabulous - you can walk, take a quick Yarra water taxi ($10 one way), or tram it by quickly jumping over to the north side of the Yarra. Hope to be back at the Crown again for a shopping/dining weekend sometime soon.

Room Tip: I was on the 5th floor and while I had a good skyline view, I also had a roof. So if you want a spec...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Leafsgirl77
Torquay, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2014

A recent overnight stay at this hotel proved to be a good travel experience as long as you are looking for a glitzy and lively night or two away from home. The hotel forms part of a large complex with several hotels, restaurants, shops, cinema and casino, situated on the river in the centre of the city. When we arrived we were shown to a rear facing room but after one phone call we were moved to the front facing suite we had requested. The suite was stunning with a living room, bedroom, walk in closet and amazing bathroom with every amenity you could imagine. If that were not enough the views of the city skyline and river took your breath away. Managed to use the facility of the spa with charming reception host and excellent massage. And I sat next to Boris Becker at breakfast but he didn't recognise me.

Room Tip: Must be a front facing room, preferably over floor 10.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Canberra, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2014

We came to stay the weekend before Christmas for my husbands 40th. We had booked ages ago so got a great rate and paid extra to have crystal club access one night.

The rooms are beautiful and super clean. Beautiful extra touches like great tea/coffee, selection of current magazines in the room and turndown with chocolate treat each night! We also received a beautiful bottle of bubbles and box of chocolates complimentary for I am not sure what reason but it was a very lovely and welcome gesture!

Crystal Club is divine - expensive - but as far as hotel club lounges go it is one of the best. Great food and beverages (just lacks a view).

Crown is a great place to stay with so much to do without leaving the complex and if you do it is only 15min walk to city

• Stayed December 2013