“Excellent - Expensive but its Luxury accomodation”

Crown Towers Melbourne
Ranked #2 of 160 Hotels in Melbourne
Hobart, Tasmania
“Excellent - Expensive but its Luxury accomodation”
Reviewed 29 November 2010

Stayed here 2 nights in Sept 10, second stay. Regular visitor to melbourne and have stayed many places. This is by far the best. You pay for it and if you can afford it or as a special weekend away, well worth it. Rooms are spacious. Had a Deluxe room, easily took a fold out bed for teenage daughter. Bathroom is spacious and beautiful spa bath with flat screen tv. Nice walk in wardrobe/dressing room. Amenities of high standard. Bed, linen and pillows the best - you can even buy your own. The pool/gym facilties are excellent. Its location is 10 minute nice walk to city shops however surrounded by restaurants within and outside complex. On tram route. 10 minutes walk south on Clarendon Street are some great cheaper restaurants, and lovely little stores (South Melbourne). The complex has lovely restaurants but sometimes the cheaper ones get busy and not pleasant to go to. There is a Buffett at the end of Casino (near Metropole) that is much better than the one upstairs from food court. The retail shops are excellent and not all Versace, Prada, Chanel etc although they are there also. There is a DFO outlet just across the road near Hilton (10 min walk) and close to both train Stations.
Would recommend this complex - its far more than a hotel. Its well worth it and location is excellent and Crown is the nightlife/entertainment complex of Melbourne. It can be a bit busy and not as exclusive in certain parts of the casino, however the accomodation is excellent and well deserving of 5 stars.

Stayed September 2010, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (552)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
Victoria, Australia
Reviewed 20 November 2010

Just returned back from a quick two night trip to Melbourne, and have just finished telling my family and friends how amazing the Crown Towers was.

We checked in late but basically had no waiting time at all and the check in clerk was friendly. I did however have to let her know that as a part of our booking it included late checkout till 12pm, but I showed her my wotif booking and just like that it was fixed. We arrived at our room and I was blown away. The magnificent frosted glass doors to the bathroom, the separate dressing room/wardrobe and the nice sized LCD. My fiancé is a smoker and a few times we have been placed in non smoking rooms in various hotels, then asked to be moved to a smoking room and quite often then not the smoking floors and rooms are no where near as good as the room I had to give up :(

We had a bottle of sparkling wine included in our room package and it was there ready and waiting for us along with our evening turndown chocolates.

There were also complementary magazines in the room to read (poker, women’s weekly, money, and I think a travel one as well) this was a nice surprise.

We ordered Pizza from a fast food chain the first night as it was about 8.30 by the time we arrived, and the hotel did not look down on us or stick their noses in the air (we generally order take out at most hotels we have stayed at generally all 4 to 5 star)

I was not a fan of the feather pillows and if there was a choice of a pillow menu it certainly wasn't visible, so I tossed and turned the first night only to find a normal pillow in the wardrobe the next day! I assumed the spare pillows would be the same, but I least the hard way.

We also had breakfast included in our package, it was nice, not the most extensive buffet breakfast I have had, but everything I had was very nice, they only had shortcut bacon which was another nice surprise because that’s the only part I eat, so it was nice not to have to dissect my breakfast. I would pay to have breakfast again for the convenience of not having to hunt around for a cafe and ending up paying more than what we would have paid to have it at the hotel.

We checked out the pool, it was heated but too cold to swim in, and I was very disappointed that they didn’t have a separate spa! It was a part of the pool and although the jets had warmish water coming out of them it was still too cold to sit in.

Concierge and housekeeping were all very nice, we had to call concierge on the first night to take the drinks out of our bar fridge so we could fit our own in, and they were there within about 15 minutes. We had no hassles at check out, we thought we may have been charged for the drinks but we weren't.

After checkout the porter quickly found us a taxi and squeezed our bags into the boot and we were on our way. All up between walking out of the elevator, checking out and driving out in our taxi was about 3 minutes!

We loved it and would defiantly stay there again, Crown Towers makes every other 5 star hotel seem like there only a 3 or a 4 star.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
Sydney
Reviewed 8 November 2010

I rarely write reviews for hotels, but my experience in my recent visit to this hotel was so disappointing I feel compelled to this time.

Was in Melbourne for 1 night for business. We arrived late afternoon, and reception was so appathetic I felt they were doing us a favour - and we were paying more than $320 per night!

The rooms are spacious and well furnished, as you would expect of a hotel like this.

When leaving in the morning for the airport, there was no one helping to organise a cab. We were 3rd in a line of 12 grouops waiting for a cab, and which took 25 mins. We understand cabs can be difficult to get at times, but a hotel of this calibre should have cabs organised for what they should know is a busy time. Further, there should be staff at least showing some urgency to hail cabs.

After the 25 min wait we just made our flight to the airport.

We don't think we would stay at this hotel again as others in the city for the same price are much more professional and courteous.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 October 2010

Very quick review... Stayed here more than once and always remember it as a fantastic 'destination' in its own right. Perfectly balanced - not 'too Vegas' but enough of an atmosphere to get you excited! Make sure you jump into the restaurant - even for a quick bite. And the spa is fantastic.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled solo
Melbourne
Reviewed 24 October 2010

I've stayed in several hotels in Melbourne and I have to say that this was by far the best hotel room out of all of them. We got a cheap deal through wotif that included valet parking, breakfast and a bottle of sparkling wine. The room was on a 20-something level and had a great view across the Yarra to Flinders Street Station. The room was stunning and beautifully laid out. There was a great little 'dressing area' that was nicely designed and not seen often in hotel rooms. Bathroom was great- big bath, shower, TV and very clean.

Breakfast, on the other hand, wasn't fantastic. The service wasn't polished and the restaurant looked a bit worn. The food was fine but nothing spectacular.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
melbourne
Reviewed 24 October 2010

I have just stayed here for one night with friends. Service at the front desk was fantastic. Our rooms were not ready when we arrived, so we went and had coffee. They rang us promptly when it was time to check in. Our bags were already in our rooms - so that was a nice touch. We had a Queen Queen room with a view towards Flinders Street station. We were on the 19th floor. It was a gorgeous view. The room was lovely. It was quite large, and the bathroom was a great size too. The only down side was the carpet - which was a stained and dirty. The beds were very comfortable and there was no noise between the rooms. So we really did not hear the other guests. So it was a very comfortable luxurious stay. There were two things that were odd - when we returned from dinner at about midnight housekeeping was cleaning a room across the hall from us. We could smell cigarette smoke throughout the floor , and when I went passed and looked in the room I could see male housekeeping staff, walking around smoking. And in the morning there was a cigarette butt outside the room on the floor (in the corridor). Bit odd. Then the worst part. At 5.30am we were woken by a big noise. In the bathroom there are panels beside the door and they are mirrored (however not glass). One of the panels fell down. You could see glue stains. So i am not sure what happened. At 5.30am we were not going to call maintenance as no one was hurt. However we did tell the front desk when we were checking out. The girl was apologetic, but you would not expect this from a 5 star hotel. Anyway - as to the location. I live in Melbourne and I love the Southbank area. When you leave the hotel you are in the middle of it all. But the problem really is the Crown complex. It is terribly over crowded with people wandering around.
I should also mention the hotel foyer is quite dark. A bit over the top really.
Would I stay here again - Yes I would. the rooms have great views. But I would only stay if I could get a really good rate.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
Jaipur, India
Reviewed 8 October 2010

We, me and my wife, had a very comfortable …. Nights’ stay at Crown Towers hotel. When they came to know about us that we are on honeymoon trip they upgraded our status and provided us a beautiful suite without any extra charges. Also they extended all possible courtesy. Their hospitality was imitable. Their waiters, room boys and girls were so homely, courteous and cheerful that even a sight of them was enough to take away a lot of tiredness of long journey. Night Light Shows are wonderful of crown towers . Casino is an added attraction and the restaurant serves very delicious food. We reached there in November last week. Hence preparation for Xmas were in full swing and we witnessed them. One Sholud roam around the Beautiffull and all branded shops at ground floor of hotel.It was a wonderful trip and a very comfortable stay at crown towers.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple