“Great value for money”

Ranked #77 of 158 Hotels in Melbourne
Tas, Australia
“Great value for money”
Reviewed 12 February 2014

Stayed two nights in an Executive King Room on the 5th floor facing towards the Victoria Market. Each level is a different colour (mine was pink) and I think adds a great boutique feel and selling point to the hotel. The room was spacious, clean and well presented. Check-in/Checkout was a breeze and the staff were very friendly and happy to help provide directions and recommendations of things to do and places to eat.

Breakfast was included in my stay and the Jasper Kitchen was a decent feed and the service was reasonably quick.

During my stay the weather in Melbourne was 35C and the room did struggle to keep cool with the blinds closed in the late afternoon but the room was north facing and I do don’t like the heat. TV wasn’t a priority during my stay but I do have to agree the reception is poor with the in-house signal.

Location of the Jasper is so convenient only a minute away from the Queen Victoria markets and tram stop. Alternatively the train station is only a 10-15minute walk away being Melbourne Central.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Doug S, General Manager at Jasper Hotel, responded to this review, 20 February 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback on you recent stay.
I’m pleased to hear you enjoyed exploring the colours of Melbourne with us and overall you were consistently happy with the hotel features and facilities.
We recognise that the TV reception at the hotel is not 100% clear and is a requirement of our guests therefor we will be upgrading the hotels TV units when we undergo our refurbishment later this year.
We look forward to welcoming you for future stays in Melbourne.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Reviewed 8 February 2014 via mobile

Stayed for over a week. Got a bit tiered of looking at a mini fuzzy tv that doesn't display the full picture despite adjusting the viewing ratios. O ya and you don't even get all the free basic cable channels -only 3. The kettle was dirty and so was the ironing board cover. Some sort of white stains. The entrance air freshened is so overwhelming that it can be smelt from outside with the doors closed. Location really is all I liked about it. Staff not particularly friendly. I'm glad I found a discount rate otherwise it would have been a real ripoff. Seems like the rooms are missing furniture or something. It felt like a uni dormitory.

Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Italy R
Dear Valued Guest,

I appreciate your comments related to your recent stay at the Jasper Hotel Melbourne.
All comments inspire us to seek the opportunities to refine our service to our guests.
I have tabled the matters outlined with the retrospective department managers with the vision for improvement in the execution of the hotel rooms.
I have been in contact with the television service provider to ensure all free to air & Foxtel channels are feeding through to our guests. We will be upgrading this service in the near future.
Once again thank you for your comments & I do hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back later in the year.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 5 February 2014

This hotel is conveniently located next to public transport and a 10 to 15 mins walk to Melbourne Central, which is a shopping mall. When we arrived late on Friday night, we were greeted by the hotels Team Leader, who was very nice and well mannered. The room was small and the bed was more like a double not a queen, however it was very clean and that is important to me. The walls are paper thin. We were woken up on the first night by a male vomiting next door, a baby crying and heard other unfortunate sounds! The next day, we raised our concerns and experience with the front desk and the "Customer Service Rep" rolled her eyes and said the only room that was avaible is located next to the elevator. We were happy to upgrade however was told thats all I can do for you. We declined and thought hopefully because we had 3 hours sleep, we would be knocked out. However we were woken up by doors slamming, loud music and more vomiting and their poor baby cried for hours (I don't blame the poor child). The next morning we bought ear plugs, not sure if they worked or if it was because we were so exhausted.The PROS related to this hotel is the Location and housekeeping. We will not be back to stay, However I would like to say thank you to Housekeeping for doing a fantastic job and the Team Leader at the front desk, if only we had her when we asked to be moved.

Room Tip: If you are not happy with your room speak to the Team Leader only and I over heard other guest compl...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Vanessa,
Thank you for taking the time to review the Jasper Hotel on Trip Advisor.
We pride ourselves on our customer service & endeavour to exceed guest expectations by assisting where we can. It is disappointing to hear that on this occasion we did not fulfil your expectations and assist you further.
We have now implemented further training to front office staff members to assist with future issues.
I have also passed on your praising comments to Sophie (Team Leader) and the Housekeeping department for their great service.
Once again thank you for providing us with the opportunity to develop our skills.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 27 January 2014

So on a work trip to the Jasper hotel, where my colleagues and I stated along with our clients. It was a hot night in Melbourne anyway, but the fact the air con decided to break just made things worse.

The reception girl on the front desk did not seem to care or want to help. There were a few good staff members however, there seemed no sense of urgency.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank AlexRaw
Dear Alex,

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at the Jasper Hotel and taking the time to express your concerns about the Air Conditioning fault both you and your guest’s experienced.
Regrettably the Air-conditioning fault was during the extreme temperatures Melbourne experienced. The hotels maintenance and service technicians were contacted immediately to rectify the issue as the unit had a failing part. After sourcing this part it was replace late afternoon which delayed the cooling of the building until early hours of the following morning.
I have spoken to my team re the communication of such an issue with our guests and improve on the service levels.
If you feel there is anything outstanding feel free to contact me directly on 03 8327 2770, as we look forward to welcoming you and your conferencing guests back one day soon.
melbourne
Reviewed 25 January 2014

This hotel is conveniently located next to public transport and attractions at the Northern end of the CBD. The is no parking located within the hotel or even within the block, the closest parking is in Franklin Street. The staff were pleasant when we arrived and during our stay. Each level of the hotel is 'colour coded', which does look a little tacky. We had a room on the 8th floor, facing the Market and didn't have the noise issues that others have spoken about here. Room was small and the colouring, while recently done, seemed a little depressing and again, tacky. TV was ridiculously small and may as well have not been there. Nice to see lots of options in regards to room service. Our mini bar was only half stocked, a little disappointing. The bathroom was small, small, small - little to no bench space. Overall, while the staff were lovely, it could not make up for the overall experience, again I have to agree with others and suggest that the four star rating is a little high for this hotel.

Room Tip: Higher rear facing rooms
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Rae C,

Thank you for choosing to stay with the Jasper Hotel on your recent trip to Melbourne and sharing your experience.
We acknowledge that the hotels décor is not to everyone’s desire and I would like to share that we are in the final planning stages for a refurbishment including TV’s. We are hoping to have completed by next year. We will continue to acknowledge the hotels past through the existing rooms & explore the jasper stone concept.
We are all very excited & hope that we can share the new look Jasper with you.
Reviewed 24 January 2014 via mobile

My friend and I stayed one night to go and see Grease the musical. The location is great, right next to the Vic Market . It wasn't open the morning we checked out so we didn't experience any noise issues like the other reviews have said.

Bed was comfy and the bathroom was clean and big. No issues for an overnight stay.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your comments, we take pride in our feedback and appreciate you taking the time to post your review. We look forward to seeing you again.
Reviewed 4 January 2014

The room was basic but clean. They provided me with more amenities than the Hilton South Wharf did. After reading all the reviews about the noise, I requested for a quiet room at the back but got a room facing the front. I guess I should have insisted but didn't because I'm usually ok with noise. However, this was really bad. I was on the top floor but as I was facing Elizabeth Street, I could hear the trams go by in the morning. The location was excellent though. Just outside the CBD (1 tram stop to Melbourne Central - < 10 mins walk) and next to Vic Mkt. Excellent service I must say. Everyone was friendly, smiley and helpful. Pity that they do not provide free wifi but it seems to be the same throughout Australia. Keep up the great service!

Room Tip: INSIST on a room that does not face Elizabeth Street.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank wohoo-holidays
Dear Valued Guest,
It is wonderful to hear you enjoyed the Appelles skin care range we are all very excited to offer these products to our guests. I would also like to share that we are introducing complementary guest WiFi access in the coming months.
As a part of the hotels refurbishment plans we are looking at options to block out the street noise from Elizabeth Street.
We would love for you to stay with us on your return to Melbourne.