“Pleasant Overall experience”

Ranked #71 of 160 Hotels in Melbourne
Perth, Australia
“Pleasant Overall experience”
Reviewed 17 February 2014

Located North end of Elizabeth street, it is conveniently located for business trips in the city. Very courteous staff at all levels. Front desk staff were nice enough to change my room as the the one they put me initially was very noisy on account of construction work in the opposite side of street. Spacious, clean rooms. Beware of pre-existing stains on the hot iron though! Nearly cost me my shirt! The deal maker for many may will be this though: they are happy to look after your luggage after you have checked out.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the far side of Elizabeth street- they are quieter, although with no-views from...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Doug S, General Manager at Jasper Hotel, responded to this review, 6 March 2014
Dear Eazzy Ryder,

Thank you for your kind words, we appreciate the time you have taken to write your review.
Please be assured we have addressed the cleanliness of the irons with the housekeeping department as we would hate to ruin a guest’s favourite shirt.
We do hope to welcome you in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Sydney Australia
Reviewed 17 February 2014

Stayed for 4 nights and while it was ok I wouldn't rate as 4 star. Walls are paper thin so you can hear the person in the next room. Location is ok, next door to markets, well worth a visit if you are there on a Wednesday night. Staff are friendly and onsite cafe is good. Management need to remove that horrible sickly smelly deodoriser in the foyer area, it's so overbearing that you can smell it while standing outside the front door.
Overall ok stay but not sure I would stay again when visiting Melbourne .

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Doug S, General Manager at Jasper Hotel, responded to this review, 20 February 2014
Dear Carkel,

Thank you for choosing the Jasper Hotel for your recent stay in Melbourne. We know you have a lot of choices and we appreciate that you gave us a chance. Your feedback is valuable and I appreciate the time you have taken to provide this.
I’m pleased to hear you found our staff to be friendly throughout you stay. At the Jasper we do have a strong focus on customer service & improving our guest’s experience.
The Jasper Hotel is officially rated a 4 star hotel property by the national body- AAA Tourism; to uphold this standard & the changing market we do recognise there are some areas for improvement therefor will be undergoing a refurbishment later in the year.
I do hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back later in the year.
Australia
Reviewed 14 February 2014

Stayed for one night only. Look this hotel is OK generally. clean rooms, funky décor, pleasant staff etc. BUT.....

Had requested when I booked for a quite room at the back having read previous reviews online.

Mentioned it again at check in. Still given a room on the main street although up high directly opposite a building construction site that was drilling holes for pylons all day!!
Not their fault that a construction site was causing the noise but I don't understand why hotels can't allocate rooms based on requests in order of receipt.

Was disappointing. Should have stayed elsewhere.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Geoffrey76_5
Dear Geoffrey,

Thank you for your comments on your recent stay and your constructive feedback.
I do apologise that on this occasion your reservations requests were not adhered too. Whilst we do endeavour to meet all our guest request unfortunately there are times we are unable to.
I have spoken with the front office team on your behalf to ensure that guest requests are not overseen in the future.
Regrettably the construction noise is not under our control however we do recognise that it is an issue & we are doing our best to limit its impact on our guests.
I do hope we will welcome you back to our funky décor & pleasant staff in the near future.
Tas, Australia
Reviewed 12 February 2014

Stayed two nights in an Executive King Room on the 5th floor facing towards the Victoria Market. Each level is a different colour (mine was pink) and I think adds a great boutique feel and selling point to the hotel. The room was spacious, clean and well presented. Check-in/Checkout was a breeze and the staff were very friendly and happy to help provide directions and recommendations of things to do and places to eat.

Breakfast was included in my stay and the Jasper Kitchen was a decent feed and the service was reasonably quick.

During my stay the weather in Melbourne was 35C and the room did struggle to keep cool with the blinds closed in the late afternoon but the room was north facing and I do don’t like the heat. TV wasn’t a priority during my stay but I do have to agree the reception is poor with the in-house signal.

Location of the Jasper is so convenient only a minute away from the Queen Victoria markets and tram stop. Alternatively the train station is only a 10-15minute walk away being Melbourne Central.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback on you recent stay.
I’m pleased to hear you enjoyed exploring the colours of Melbourne with us and overall you were consistently happy with the hotel features and facilities.
We recognise that the TV reception at the hotel is not 100% clear and is a requirement of our guests therefor we will be upgrading the hotels TV units when we undergo our refurbishment later this year.
We look forward to welcoming you for future stays in Melbourne.
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 8 February 2014 via mobile

Stayed for over a week. Got a bit tiered of looking at a mini fuzzy tv that doesn't display the full picture despite adjusting the viewing ratios. O ya and you don't even get all the free basic cable channels -only 3. The kettle was dirty and so was the ironing board cover. Some sort of white stains. The entrance air freshened is so overwhelming that it can be smelt from outside with the doors closed. Location really is all I liked about it. Staff not particularly friendly. I'm glad I found a discount rate otherwise it would have been a real ripoff. Seems like the rooms are missing furniture or something. It felt like a uni dormitory.

Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Italy R
Dear Valued Guest,

I appreciate your comments related to your recent stay at the Jasper Hotel Melbourne.
All comments inspire us to seek the opportunities to refine our service to our guests.
I have tabled the matters outlined with the retrospective department managers with the vision for improvement in the execution of the hotel rooms.
I have been in contact with the television service provider to ensure all free to air & Foxtel channels are feeding through to our guests. We will be upgrading this service in the near future.
Once again thank you for your comments & I do hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back later in the year.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 5 February 2014

This hotel is conveniently located next to public transport and a 10 to 15 mins walk to Melbourne Central, which is a shopping mall. When we arrived late on Friday night, we were greeted by the hotels Team Leader, who was very nice and well mannered. The room was small and the bed was more like a double not a queen, however it was very clean and that is important to me. The walls are paper thin. We were woken up on the first night by a male vomiting next door, a baby crying and heard other unfortunate sounds! The next day, we raised our concerns and experience with the front desk and the "Customer Service Rep" rolled her eyes and said the only room that was avaible is located next to the elevator. We were happy to upgrade however was told thats all I can do for you. We declined and thought hopefully because we had 3 hours sleep, we would be knocked out. However we were woken up by doors slamming, loud music and more vomiting and their poor baby cried for hours (I don't blame the poor child). The next morning we bought ear plugs, not sure if they worked or if it was because we were so exhausted.The PROS related to this hotel is the Location and housekeeping. We will not be back to stay, However I would like to say thank you to Housekeeping for doing a fantastic job and the Team Leader at the front desk, if only we had her when we asked to be moved.

Room Tip: If you are not happy with your room speak to the Team Leader only and I over heard other guest compl...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Vanessa,
Thank you for taking the time to review the Jasper Hotel on Trip Advisor.
We pride ourselves on our customer service & endeavour to exceed guest expectations by assisting where we can. It is disappointing to hear that on this occasion we did not fulfil your expectations and assist you further.
We have now implemented further training to front office staff members to assist with future issues.
I have also passed on your praising comments to Sophie (Team Leader) and the Housekeeping department for their great service.
Once again thank you for providing us with the opportunity to develop our skills.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 27 January 2014

So on a work trip to the Jasper hotel, where my colleagues and I stated along with our clients. It was a hot night in Melbourne anyway, but the fact the air con decided to break just made things worse.

The reception girl on the front desk did not seem to care or want to help. There were a few good staff members however, there seemed no sense of urgency.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank AlexRaw
Dear Alex,

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at the Jasper Hotel and taking the time to express your concerns about the Air Conditioning fault both you and your guest’s experienced.
Regrettably the Air-conditioning fault was during the extreme temperatures Melbourne experienced. The hotels maintenance and service technicians were contacted immediately to rectify the issue as the unit had a failing part. After sourcing this part it was replace late afternoon which delayed the cooling of the building until early hours of the following morning.
I have spoken to my team re the communication of such an issue with our guests and improve on the service levels.
If you feel there is anything outstanding feel free to contact me directly on 03 8327 2770, as we look forward to welcoming you and your conferencing guests back one day soon.