“Great Spot”
Review of Jasper Hotel

Jasper Hotel
Ranked #72 of 160 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed 26 June 2014

This was a great choice even with the renovations going on the room was excellent and a great price. A very convenient location as we could walk to where we needed to be the next morning. I would recommend it to everyone.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Doug S, General Manager at Jasper Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for your comments.
It is pleasing to hear that the renovations of the Jasper Hotel did not impact on your experience in Melbourne and that you were able to explore your surroundings.
We look forward to welcoming you back after the hotels refurbishment.

There are newer reviews for Jasper Hotel

Reviewed 26 June 2014

When I booked the hotel there was a huge warning sign that said,
"POSSIBLE RENOVATION DISTURBANCE DURING THESE TIMES:
MONDAY to FRIDAY- 8am-5pm
SATURDAY & SUNDAY- 10am-5pm"

so disturbance during those hours and general inconvenience collateral to the renovation are expected and I am not going to comment on those aspects of my stay.

Generally however, I find Jasper fell below the acceptable standards in the following aspects:

1. Insecure luggage storage - when I checked into the hotel, a girl popped in, cried out to the hotel staff who sat behind the reception table "I have left my luggage here, just gonna nick it" as she walked towards the open luggage storage area in the temporary hotel lobby (which also acted as a cafe). Without verifying the girl's identity nor the fact that she was taking the luggage that belonged to her, the staff nodded and the girl departed with a luggage which may or may not belong to her. This is outrageous because if there is any loss or damage to the luggages stored with the hotel no doubt the hotel would pull out one of their disclaimers in font 2 hidden in some random documents and refuse compensating their guests to the full extent. I would expect that a hotel would at least act reasonably to ensure the security of luggages left in their care.

2. TV - the TV was smaller than my computer screen (around 21 inch) and the resolution was so low that watching TV was extremely tiring.

3. Lighting inside the room - the room did not have sufficient lightings. There were only table lamps which were only able to keep the room dimly-lit. Hopefully when Jasper renovates the rooms they would improve the lighting. It is extremely difficult to read when the room is so dark.

4. Cleanliness of the room - the room was DIRTY. The colour of the carpet (which is a deep shade of grey), while is effective in hiding any stings left by other guests, also highlights the fact that the floor is dusty (especially along the walls) and the carpet is worn out. The window sills were also dusty.

5. Guest requests - in my reservation I specifically requested for a "quiet room away from the lift facing away from Elizabeth Street". I was given the second room away from the lift and facing Elizabeth Street. I understand that hotels could only accommodate requests depending on room availability. Normally at check-in hotel staff, if they are unable to make arrangements per guests' wish, they would explain briefly "Unfortunately we cannot accommodate your request". Nothing was said at check-in so I assumed that they were able to fulfil my request. Imagine the disappointment when I walked into my room. The lack of acknowledgement I presumed, came from the fact that the hotel didn't even see my request which accompanied my booking.

6. Renovation - The warning statement on the booking website said there would be ongoing renovation between 8am-5pm on a weekday. This morning (Thursday) I was woken up by hammering noise at 7.15am. This is absolutely ridiculous. This combined with the fact that the windows of the room were not doubled-glazed so I could hear the train passing and the traffic on Elizabeth Street all night have definitely left me weary the next morning. While the hotel provides free ear plugs, I was hesitant to use them as I wanted to be sure that I could hear the firm alarm should it go off.

On the plus side,
a) The staff were helpful - I had trouble logging into the guest wifi with the password provided upon check-in so I rang the front desk. The asian girl who worked there printed out a new password and delivered it to my room.

b) The water pressure and temperature inside the room is good so despite the bathroom being miniature, I managed to shower efficiently.

c) Free wifi!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank ctws

Dear Valued Guest,
It is great to receive your feedback online, your comments provide the hotel with the opportunity to develop and improve on our service to our guests.
The refurbishment is new territory for the hotel staff and management but we assure you that if there are any issues experienced by our guests please notify our team as we are here to make your stay as pleasing as possible no matter the circumstance.
During the hotels refurbishment we will be improving the TV services and room lighting, along with other key areas of the hotel.
Even with the renovation most guest’s services are still available excluding the café and conferencing facilities. The hotel does offer our guests a secure luggage storage monitored by under CCTV; although in your experience it did not appear to be that way. Being a boutique hotel our staff do get to know our guests, with this we do recognise their luggage they leave behind and would certainly act upon suspicious behaviours.
We are however are doing our best to deter guests from accessing this off limit area; but unfortunately we find it to be a challenge with time poor guests.
We do hope that you will be back in the future post renovation to experience the Jasper Hotel at its best.

Reviewed 25 June 2014

Although the hotel was under renovation during my stay (that's how I got a discounted rate), the overall experience was pleasant. The room was large and clean, with good facilities built in.

The only thing was that the hotel was unable to provide some cutlery for our bday cake, i was hoping they can provide a cake knife and some plates, but was told unable to do so. that's a bit strange for a hotel with restaurant and cafe.

But overall, very happy and satisfy.

Dear Wilfred,
Thank you for your feedback in regards to the hotel. It’s great to hear that even though the hotel is undergoing renovation that you had a pleasant stay with us.
In regards to cutlery and plates for your cake unfortunately these items have been packed away during the renovation due to the fact that restaurant is currently closed, otherwise we would be more than happy to help you in this regard.
I hope we get the chance to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 24 June 2014

My mum and I recently stayed 3 nights at Jasper as part of the 'renovation special' and couldn't believe our luck! When we booked the hotel (through Qantas) we couldn't believe the price and thought there must be some hitch but the location was good to pass up. Upon arriving at the hotel, it was clear they are undergoing some major changes at the moment but once we walked in and talked to the lovely Chloe at the front desk, we knew we'd made a good choice. Firstly-Chloe is the nicest, friendliest and most helped hotel employee I have ever encountered on my travels. She answered all our questions and even helped us find Myki cards to use for our stay. If only all hotel employees were like this!
We checked into our room, situated on the 6th "purple" coloured floor. The rooms themselves are a decent size, clean and comfortable and more than adequate for a stay in a city that has plenty to see, do and eat.
The Jasper is about a 2 minute walk from both the Queen Victoria Markets and a major tram stop with Melbourne Central either a quick tram ride or about a 7 minute walk away so getting around Melbourne is a breeze. Plus there is a range of food options near the hotel so you don't have to go far to be fed.

Although some people seem to have had issues with the renovations, the hotel are doing their best to accommodate guests with ear plugs at the reception and a notice under the room door for water being out of action very early one morning. The noise didn't bother us as we were up early each morning to make the best of our time there and back each afternoon after work had stopped. The one day we were back early to get ready for Wicked, the noise was no where near what we would expected considering the scale of work being done.

Overall, the free wifi, location, nightly price and the service the hotel provides makes staying at the Jasper a no brainer! I can't wait to go back and see the finished product!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank rekah21
Doug S, General Manager at Jasper Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Thankyou for taking the time to write a review of Jasper Hotel. I have to admit the location of the hotel is a great asset to us along with our friendly and helpful staff, which you also had the pleasure of experiencing. I’m glad the renovations did not impact your stay, we do strive to limit disturbance to our guests wherever possible.
I have to agree, it is a no brainer at the discounted rates with all the inclusions eg. Free wifi.
We hope to welcome you back to the Jasper Hotel again, whether it’s before after renovations are completed.

Reviewed 23 June 2014

The hot water in the sink didn't work until the shower was turned on? Strange but funny. Turn the shower off and the water goes cold in the sink. The bed is not a true queen bed. It is just two beds stuck together. To their credit, the beds didn't come apart during the night which was good, but it was a bit uncomfortable. The shops were extremely convenient, the staff were fantastic and friendly. Hotstar chicken is just a few steps away. I had a great time. Thanks Jasper Hotel!

Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Doug S, General Manager at Jasper Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2014

Dear Guest
Thank you for sharing your recent stay at the hotel with us, I’m sorry to hear of your unusual situation with the hot water in your room but if you could please take the time to contact our Front Office Manager; Chloe directly at the hotel so we can get the details of your stay so that we can rectify this issue that would be much appreciated.
We look forward to welcoming you back minus the issues with the hot water.

Reviewed 22 June 2014

Stayed here on 16 to 18 June.. Very pleased with the overall stay. Staff are very friendly and helpful..The location is superb as queen Victoria market is right next door ( can't get a better location than this). Hotel is within walking distance to Chinatown so food is abundant.. rooms are very clean and new. Price is a bargain now because of renovation. The renovation can get a little noisy if intending to sleep in.. but since my family is out early it did not bother us much.. highly recommend this place and would definitely be back.

• Stayed: June 2014

Dear Guest
It’s great to hear from you in regards to your stay with us at the Jasper and even better that you had a fantastic stay with us with your family. I have to agree with you (but I am a bit biased) the team is fantastic and the location couldn’t be much better, so with the two together there is not much else you could want from your hotel experience.
On the topic of sleeping in during the renovation that is something that can be difficult depending on what works the builders will be undertaking. But on the other hand the next time you decide to stay with us after the renovation sleep in’s will be much easier to be had.

Reviewed 20 June 2014

Don't go until the 'renovation' more I 'construction site' has been completed. The jack-hammering goes right through the building. There is no way you can be in your room during daylight hours. The traffic noise from trams and emergency vehicles goes all night long. I was told the windows will be improved with the renovations, so will the TV/ reception, lift, etc. I booked the rooms for my friends and I was very disappointed and embarrassed. On a positive note the rooms were very nice and the staff were lovely.

Room Tip: Don't book a room next to the lifts. The free pass to swim at the Melbourne Baths was excellent.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Julie B

Dear Julie
I’m sorry to hear that you and your guests had such an unenjoyable experience with us during your recent stay. We have done everything in our power to inform guests and limit the impact of the renovations that we are undertaking. Unfortunately on the topic of TV’s and windows these are aspects of the renovation that haven’t been completed at the time of your stay and I apologise for the confusion.
Hopefully once we have completed the finished hotel you will return to the hotel and we look forward to welcoming you back.