“Very good welcoming experience.”
Review of Jasper Hotel

Jasper Hotel
Ranked #76 of 161 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

A bit noisy in the day, with renovations but overall fabulous location, good service, great staff. Would recommend to people wanting to visit Melbourne to stay at this hotel. Very central.We loved being close to Victoria Markets and publuc transport.

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank zksh
Doug S, General Manager at Jasper Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your review of the hotel, always great to hear from guests that they have had a great experience with us at the hotel. It’s also great to know that the team and the hotel as a whole was what you needed for your stay in Melbourne and such that you would recommend us.

Hopefully we will have the chance to impress you again and those that you pass on the good experience to.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,114)

Reviewed 5 July 2014

Despite renovations & the loud loved up couple next door (haha) was a fantastic and comfortable stay at Jasper Hotel. Staff friendly, perfect location, very reasonable pricing & within walking distance to MCG, Etihad & shopping / dining district.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Keana J

Dear Keana,

It’s great to hear from you in regards to your recent stay with us at the Jasper, even better to hear that you had a great stay. Also that both the location of the hotel and the team where able to impress.
We look forward to welcoming you back for your next stay with us.

Reviewed 2 July 2014

I stayed here with a relative for a girls shopping trip. It was within our budget because we wanted to spend more for shopping. We were very happy with Jasper Hotel. We felt happy that it was within walking distance of the main streets of Melbourne, the staff were very knowledgeable of the area and friendly, we felt safe and beside all the renovations around us...it was not disruptive. The cleaners kept the building dust to a minimum. Look forward to staying here again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Doug S, General Manager at Jasper Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2014

Dear Valued Guest,
I’m pleased to hear you were happy with your choice of Jasper Hotel for your girl’s trip. I’m sure you put the money you saved on our room rates towards a good bargain. I agree our location is fabulous, close to everything you could want to see and do in Melbourne, and I am glad the renovations did not disturb your stay.
We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

I was just reading the couple of negative reviews down from other reviewers and it's evident how picky other people can be. My partner and I stayed here for 4 nights because it was so cheap and for what we paid the value was amazing. Normally overseas and in aus we pay $89 and more for private rooms in hostels. We asked for a floor high up so level 7 was quiet, I was worried the room would be too small but it was pretty big and the bathroom Although small, was plenty big enough. Yeah the shower was small but the pressure was awesome and the toiletries were great. Lighting is a bit dull in the bathroom but only annoyed me when it was hard to put makeup on at night, again didn't make me hate the place. Full length mirror in the closest was great, free tea coffee hot chocolate and mini bar was good too. Yeah the tv was small but big enough to see it. Lift wasn't even that slow and the construction is enclosed so when u walk to the lift nothing is going to come flying out at you and is completely safe. Staff were all lovely. Would happily stay here again even if construction was going on, and i'm really picky, normally love 5 star hotels

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank kat_with_a_k
Doug S, General Manager at Jasper Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

Dear Kat,

Thank you for taking the time to share your stay with us at the Jasper, it’s fantastic to hear that you had such a great experience with us whilst at the hotel. We do agree that there is a lot more to like about the hotel than to dislike. The hotels refurbishment enables us to make improvements to the features outlined in your review and ultimately continue to deliver the best guest experience.
I do hope that your first stay with us will not be your last and that we will get the chance to impress you with the hotel once the renovations are complete in October.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

After trying a number of places to stay in Melbourne I decided to give Jaspers a go. Given the price I expected something a bit basic, the usual run-down, depressing inner city minute box and the renovations to the lobby did not reassure me on arrival. However, the room was immaculate, very modern and the bathroom was larger than the last two hotel rooms I stayed in!Great location for the markets and university, easy travel via tram, surrounded by places to grab a late night meal. Will be using this for all my future Melbourne trips!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Dear Cass
Thank you for sharing your experience of staying with us at the Jasper, it’s great to hear that the hotel was able to impress you even whilst we are undergoing a major renovation.
We look forward to you returning to the hotel in the near future, next time you will be able to enjoy the finished product with the new guest rooms, lobby and restaurant.

Reviewed 29 June 2014

We came down from the country to stay in the city for 2 nights. We had a really good experience. Renovations made no difference for us. We were close to Vic Market, had breakfast in the Cafe next door (it was great). We also walked around the city- great place and would definetely stay again next time in Melbourne.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Valued Guest,

It’s great to receive your feedback of your stay with us at the hotel and that the renovation didn’t have an impact on the quality of your stay.
We do hope to welcome you back after the refurbishment.

Reviewed 27 June 2014

The hotel advertises "POSSIBLE RENOVATION DISTURBANCE". There is nothing 'Possible' about this, the noise was a given and inevitable. Although I do appreciate their attempt to help you with this by giving you some disposable ear plugs, the hotel and their service did really fall below expectations.

I was originally placed in a room on Elizabeth St side prior to requesting to move to the opposite side of the hotel. The noise from the construction wasn't the issue however the noise from the general public, trams and traffic that came from Elizabeth St was, it was unbearable to the point I had to ask to leave.

The beds were probably the most uncomfortable beds that I have ever slept on in my life. I would have slept just as well on the floor. Each morning I woke up with severe back and neck pain. The beds were rock hard and the pillows did no justice. The rooms also had a very dark roof, with no central lighting whatsoever. There was a number of lamps around the room however, for someone wanting and needing a well lit room this hotel is not adequate.

Additionally, the rooms had some sort of unpleasant smell, the showers were cramped and tiny - I could barely fit in them and it is impossible to open and close the door whilst inside the shower. The TV was tiny, my laptop itself is larger - and the TV did not work when pressing the power button. At this point I contacted reception whom seemed hesitant to help me, despite this, a receptionist who spoke broken english came up and turned the TV on by pressing the Power button as well as several buttons on the remote control before the TV finally turned on. Although she managed to turn the TV on I could not turn it on after she left given that the simple press of the Power button did not work at all.

The noise from construction was not so much an inconvenience given that I knew it was going to be there however, it is more of a safety concern and given the fact that you have to walk through the middle of a construction area to access the slow lifts to go up to your rooms is a safety concern as it can cause severe damage to your ears. Please wear some sort of ear protection if you're staying there as you are walking basically within a few metres of large jack hammering, banging etc.

I would probably not stay at this hotel again and I will not recommend it to friends or family. I did not get the service I needed from the reception however more so a hesitancy to help me with my needs. The rooms had scuffs and marks all over them and the room was not 'fresh and clean' as you would expect from a hotel.

The luggage area where you can leave your bags was also not properly secured. Anyone could walk through and grab your bags, I left my bags there and the reception clerk was outside having a cigarette as I walked through freely and grabbed my suitcase - I could of been anyone and grabbed anyones luggage for that matter.

The plus side - free wi-fi although it lagged at times.

In future I would pay a little extra to stay at a hotel that doesn't have noise and construction issues.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank 17,503,642

Dear Valued Guest,

Firstly I would like to apologise that your experience at the Jasper Hotel did fall below your expectations. I would also like to thank you for allowing the opportunity for the hotel to respond to the experience you have shared.
With the hotel undergoing a major construction refurbishment we are working closely with our building team to keep most of the construction cordoned off to the hotel guest where we are trying to limit the effect the renovations are having on our guests.
Regrettably there are circumstances where this is not possible but we ensure you that all safety precautions are taken in accordance with Worksafe Victoria protocols.
I would also like to mention for future reference if the hotels Front office staff were notified of the issues you experienced during your stay this would have allow us the opportunity to rectify your issues or in this case provide you with a more peaceful night’s sleep, better lit room or perhaps a larger bathroom.
If you wish to discuss your stay further feel free to contact myself or Chloe our Front Office Manager directly at the hotel.