“Good location”

Travelodge Hotel Melbourne Southbank
Ranked #49 of 159 Hotels in Melbourne
“Good location”
Reviewed 21 November 2013

The location of this hotel is excellent but the service was very poor. We had a 3 night stay and found the experience less than ideal for the amount of money we were paying. There were 20 of us staying at the hotel for a friends birthday albeit in separate rooms. We all booked at different times but the birthday hostess organised the event and arranged for us to be on the same floor. This did not happen. Not a big deal but didnt create a very good first impression as they failed to deliver on what they had promised.
There are two main lifts in this hotel and for the entire duration of our stay one was out of service. In this day and age I was very surprised that it was out of action for more than a day. This meant that it would take ten minutes for the lift to arrive at the floor. and even then it might be full. Sounds trivial but after 3 days it was very tiresome. I heard guests going off about it on more than one occasion. On our second day they put up a sign to say the service lift was available for use.
Very average breakfast. Poor value for money.
On our first night while trying to operate the TV remote my partner accidentally pushed the wrong button and purchased an adult movie. It was surprisingly easy to do so. In fact it was so easy that I thought he most likely hadnt purchased it but had activated the preview which had appeared on the television. Anyway to be safe rather than sorry I immediately phoned reception and told them what had happened. I was very surprised when they said that yes it had been purchased and even more surprised when they said we would have to pay for it. $15.95 for ten seconds of nudity. I thought I must just have the wrong person on the phone as this was ridiculous. So next morning when we finally got down to reception after lift taking forever we again told the story. This time they got the manager. Same story no refund as it was our fault. Yeah sure it was our fault but have you ever heard of goodwill. We were there for 3 nights. With 19 of our friends. And we made sure that all 19 of them knew what had happened and how miserable the hotel had been with this matter. Very disappointed and highly annoyed.
Also had issues with staff member seating people for breakfast. Very rude. No idea about how to be tactful about what she was saying. Could be that english was her second language perhaps.
In summary room was ok and location was great but hotel was let down by service.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank liisa75
Toby C, Manager at Travelodge Hotel Melbourne Southbank, responded to this review, 2 December 2013
Dear liisa75,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at Travelodge Southbank.

We appreciate the time you have taken to provide us with your comments. I am sorry to read that our guest service was not up to the standard we expect. I have addressed your concerns with the Front Office department to improve our overall guest experience and will be using your comments as an example in an upcoming team meeting.

We understand your frustration with regards to our lift breakdown. We worked tirelessly to get the lift back up and running and we were glad we were able to get it back inside the expected time frame

For the reference of future guests, movies are available for purchase from your room for $15.95 each and it does require you to confirm acceptance of payment 3 times prior to beginning. liisa75, I hope this can also help you avoid this charge in future at other hotels with a similar system in place

I would welcome the opportunity to discuss this in more detail, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at the hotel.

tcolgrave@travelodge.com.au

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (309)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 November 2013

Centrally situated for transport and City
Room of reasonable size and kettle,microwave and basic dishes and cutlery also provided
WiFi available
Valuables can be deposited at reception as no safe in room
Cafe open on premises for breakfast although we did not use it
Newspapers and good seating area in lobby
Helpful staff throughout hotel
Minor niggles dealt with speedily by housekeeping

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bsandrs
Toby C, Manager at Travelodge Hotel Melbourne Southbank, responded to this review, 18 November 2013
Dear bsandrs

The Team at Travelodge Southbank are delighted to hear you enjoyed your recent stay . Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your positive feedback.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our Travelodge Hotels in the near future.

Shoalhaven, Australia
Reviewed 17 November 2013 via mobile

We loved our trip to Melbourne and were so impressed by the location of our motel. The shampoo and conditioner gave me instant dreadlocks, and a bath would have been handy for the little one, but staff were lovely and the bed was comfortable. Also more tea bags would not have gone astray. All in all I would definitely stay here again (note to self: never use supplied hair products in Travelodge again :/).

Stayed November 2013
1 Thank Bluemoonlover
Dear Bluemoonlover,

Obviously quite disappointing to read your comments regarding our shampoo and conditioner, as this is not something we generally receive negative feedback on. I will however, be sure to pass on your feedback to our suppliers

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 16 November 2013

Family of 3, stayed in a room with sofa bed. Found room the night before for 2 adults and 1 child on line for $199, thought I would call the hotel direct, was given the same price + $40 for extra person. After discussing and them checking the price on line, that I was not being charged the extra $40, they honoured the on line price. Stayed on the 10th floor, which did block off the roadwork sounds happening just under us at 7am (bonus, we did not know there were going to be roadworks). The room was clean, but the bathroom could do with a revamp (especially the shower and the tiles, ground and floor). The shower water falling straight onto the bathroom floor with a shower curtain does make the bathroom floor wet with splashing water! My only other complaint is staff, Well only the one I delt with checking in. He was not in any way friendly, never smiled, when I asked for directions to Rod Laver, he was not very helpful and just told me to turn right and follow the signs (there weren't any). Fortunatly I was going into the right direction, but i had to ask someone else just to make sure and feel confident. Also my husband and son we going to check in later when I was not going to be there, and when i mentioned it to him and wanting to leave his name (cause we have different surnames), he just said "well does your husband know your name?" Which I (who does have a sense of humour) thought the way it was asked, he came across rudely,I did respond in a joking way "I hope so we have been married 11years" (which by the way he still did not get my husbands name). But what upset me more was when I was waiting for the elevator, I turned and he was talking & laughing with the other staff member, while they were looking straight at me and his work colleague quickly looked away with a guilty look. I'm sure the joke was on me! I actually regret not getting his name and making an official complaint.
I will stay at the Travelodge again, cause the position is perfect, but if he is there again I will ask to be served by someone else! Thankyou for reading, but I needed to vent off!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank elle2461
Dear elle2461,

I was greatly disapointed to read your comments regarding one of my team members and would love to discuss further with you so I can address your concerns personally. If you could please contact me directly at the hotel, I would be happy to discuss further

I am however pleased you would like to return in the future and we look forward to welcoming you back

Regards
Toby Colgrave
Assistant Hotel Manager
tcolgrave@travelodge.com.au
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 16 November 2013

Very reasonable price, for this area in Melbourne especially. Nice décor and the room was good, though the staff failed to clean one day. Was corrected immediately after a call to the management however. Lots of food and entertainment close by and only a few minutes walk across the river to the downtown, or the tennis venue.

Room Tip: book in advance
Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Bucky48,

Gladstone, Australia
Reviewed 11 November 2013

Husband & I recently stayed 1 week 01/11/13 till 08/11/13 to attend Melbourne cup carnival. The position of this hotel made our stay very enjoyable. The closeness to Flinders St Station, The City, Casino, and all beautiful eateries exceptional. The entrance to Eureka ( the tallest building) is right next door. The room we had (8th floor) was very quiet, clean, & comfortable.The staff we came in contact with were all very pleasant and helpful. We would stay again with no problems at all. Melbourne is an amazing place. All public transport now is with a Miki System which is simply obtained from a Seven11 store next door plus many other places. Makes life even easier for the traveler. Do yourself a favor and spend a week or more.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that does not have an adjoining room as friends had one and could hear a women talkin...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kazbev
Dear Kazbev,

The Team at Travelodge Southbank are so thrilled to hear you enjoyed your recent stay. Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your positive feedback.

Tasmania
Reviewed 9 November 2013

Very happy with the room comfy bed, nice linens, small but clean bathroom. On checkin we were offered either low or high floor. After previous reviews comments on noise opted for 10th floor noise not a problem. We got a great deal purchasing our room several weeks in advance even though we stayed during Melbourne Cup Carnival. The Southbank area was very busy but plenty of options for dining. Would not hesitate to stay again, pleasant, helpful staff.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Toby C, Manager at Travelodge Hotel Melbourne Southbank, responded to this review, 11 November 2013
Dear Tropical_Traveller88,