“Fantastic location, comfortable rooms”

Lygon Lodge Carlton
Ranked #117 of 161 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed 16 March 2014

This is a very nice apartment hotel located in the heart of Italian district and with many restaurants within a short walk. It's also very conveniently located for visiting the city centre, so perfect for tourists like ourselves. The owners were so friendly and helpful, we really felt at home right away. We were even given a bottle of wine, made by a friend of the owner! The room we had was pretty compact, but comfortable, with a kitchen area with cooking facilities. The only downside was that there was nowhere really comfortable to sit, although we didn't have lot of time to sit around on our trip! The room was very clean and modern, the shower was fabulous and overall, we were very pleased with this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bernie P

Reviewed 12 February 2014 via mobile

I stayed for 3 nights for work. I was greeted at reception by an older man I believe is the owner and a front desk clerk. Both very friendly and helpful. The owner upgraded me to a queen bed room.
The entry is a little dated and the entrance to the lift is through the car park.
The hallway has been upgraded but a very old lounge outside the lift is terrible.
The room was clean neat and tidy. It had a bed small table and chairs desk and small kitchenette. Bathroom was updated but the room quiet dated.
Each day my bed was remade and towels replaced which I didn't expect but appreciated.
There was no top sheet on the bed, and it was very hard and uncomfortable.
The owner greeted me each time I arrived and left and was always friendly and helpful.
The location was great, but the walk past the restaurants a nightmare with all trying to win your business.
Would stay here again if I'm in Melbourne.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank miamunch
Reviewed 3 February 2014

My son and I booked a twin room for an overnight stay in Melbourne. We were absolutely blown away by the location - couldn't be better. Considering it was a Saturday night, we were surprised that we could barely hear any noise from the road. It was a blisteringly hot day (41 degrees!!) but the air conditioner in the room worked like a charm. On the down side, there is limited car parking. Fortunately we checked in not long after 2 PM and were able to secure a spot. I would strongly urge others to do the same - and then leave your car there and catch public transport or walk. The only other negative was the lack of a hair dryer in the room. According to their website there should be a hair dryer in each room and it was a bit annoying that there wasn't. I would definitely stay at the Lygon Lodge again but make sure to check in early to get a car space and ask them for a hair dryer.

Room Tip: There are four floors. Book a room on the top floor.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 December 2013

Very nice location,. in the heart of Lygon streets restaurants of your choice. clean room and nice and cosy. great value for money. good customer service. I recommend it. I'd stay again if I have a dinner function.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Quickbeds
Reviewed 30 November 2013

It was worth staying there as it is only a 15 minute walk to the city if you want to or a $10.00 cab ride from Sth Cross station.
Lots of restaurants out side the door in Lygon St.
Staff were helpful.
I would stay again.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 November 2013

My wife and I stayed here for two days - we were early and needed to store some excess baggage. The desk clerk said they could look after them whilst we stayed over in another part of town. We arrived back the next day (early again!) and we were afforded an early check in ! The staff are fantastic and very helpful if you need advice on local restaurants or attractions. Our room was clean,tidy,all good - ( the TV was a bit small is my only niggle )

Room Tip: Say "Hi" to Bob - you might get a coffee!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Gypsytraveller65
Reviewed 13 October 2013

I had changed from staying in a city hotel for work and tried the Lygon Lodge. Best decision. Bob and the team look after you. great rooms, free car parking and a 24hr reception. I can exercise at Carlton Gardens, breaky anywhere along Lygon and back to a spacious, comfy room. Clean bathroom and I was upgraded to a room with a kitchenette. love the desk area, it made it very easy to get my work done. no complaints. I'll be back.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business