“Extremely clean and friendly helpful staff”

Econo Lodge City Square Motel
Ranked #118 of 158 Hotels in Melbourne
Devonport, Australia
“Extremely clean and friendly helpful staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

Stayed here with two kids and my friend, we booked using online provider that did not advertise rooms honestly ( advertised as queen plus double sofa) Rita sorted us out and I would recommend dealing directly with them to save this problem. Any how we were booked into a different room consisting of queen and single bed plus a single sofa. The room was spotless and smelt good. There was no noise between the rooms nor the bathroom as there was a nifty dual door set up, plenty of hot water for showers and baths. The location is fantastic, just out the front door and your on the CBD, eateries and trams at the doorstep. Just want to reinforce the cleanliness again, it was a very pleasant experience thanks Rita, With kindness Haidee

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank TasTravelBugs
shontinelle d, Guest Relations Manager at Econo Lodge City Square Motel, responded to this review, 10 March 2015

Shontinelle Daji

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Daylesford, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

We have stayed here a few times before and found it suited our needs for a budget price.
Our most recent trip was an overnighter. This particular room has had a makeover and was neat and clean. On the second floor overlooking Swanston St., we didn't find the noise too bothersome.
My one complaint is taking a $250 security deposit ( nearly twice the room rate) which they did advise at the time of checking in would be held for a week (I think this is excessive, personally) but now, ten days later, they still have not released it.
For travellers on a budget, holding this sum back for this length of time makes the affordability questionable.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Grimace60
Thank you for your recent review of your stay with us. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed staying with us and had wonderful time in the CBD. Its unfortunate to hear of your issue. We will definitely look into this and rectify it for future.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2014

I stayed there in March with two other friends. It is in a great location - close to everything. The room itself is nothing special but the location makes up for it. I definitely recommend this place if you want somewhere cheap right in the city.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank food_lovers26
Thank you for your review of your stay with us. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed staying with us and had wonderful time in the CBD.

Canberra
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2014

I've been staying at this budget motel for almost 30 years. It was cheap and clean with friendly staff in an excellent location: a perfect place for me to stay several times a year when in Melbourne. Prices go up, of course, but I still stayed there because they were fixed for any night of the week. Now they follow other places and price according to how much they can get for any given night. Today I did a check for tonight and found the City Square cheapest standard single room is $135, while the Ibis is $139. I stayed at the City Square last week and was feezing cold as the aircon now seems fixed at a low temp and keeps shutting off. The sheets were like boards, so I couldn't wrap the covers round myself to get warm. For $4 extra a night at the Ibis I can get warmth, comfort in bed, Foxtel tv, a light room (instead of a gloomy) and a fridge that has a bar in the door so my milk doesn't fall out every time I open it. I will also get a table/dsk for my laptop, while at the City Square the single rooms only have a very low coffee table so I have to set up the ironing board if I don't want to break my back crouching over it. It's a very disappointing way to end such a long association.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back, otherwise you will hear the trams and traffic.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank AngelaD17
Thank you for posting a review on Trip Advisor. It is really disappointing hear about some issues during your stay with us. We will definitely look into this and rectify it for future.

Seaside Heights, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

This is an Econolodge brand hotel. It is a budget hotel with a great location right in the middle of Swanson Street (which does not allow cars.) It is across the street from Town Hall. Swanson street is busy and active both day and night. There are many, many restaurants and stores. This hotel is in the center of all the action.

We stayed in a Queen room. The room was clean and fairly large for a hotel in the middle of the city. The bath was good and bed comfortable. There was a refrigerator, kettle and toaster in the room. They provide a “light” breakfast which means tea or instant coffee and 2 slices of white bread for each person. They do provide butter and vegemite. There is a laundry facility: 2 washers and 2 dryers. They worked well.

There is not 24 hour coverage at the front desk so if you plan to arrive very late be aware. The hotel is in the middle of the block on Swanson Street. Cars are not allowed on Swanson so if you arrive by taxi you will be dropped off at the end of the block and need to walk carrying your luggage the ½ block to the hotel. I share this in case you have limited mobility or a lot of luggage.

I would stay here again.

If you find this review helpful, I would appreciate a helpful vote. Thanks.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room away from Swanson Street.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Mary K

Perth, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2014

We checked in at 9pm when we got to our room the internal light wouldn't turn on and when it finally turned on it power surged from completely off to on for 5minutes before working, the power point box had a 20cent piece size hole in it with wires exposed, with hubby being an electrician this is not safe. The air con was covered in dust. I am fully aware you get what you pay for in room look and amenities however safety in this hotel is dangerous. The maintenance man would accused us of damaging the power point and refused to speak to me even though the booking was in my name. When asking to be moved to another room for the night whilst it gets fixed tomorrow they advised the last room was taken by a walk in, the refused to refund out money so we could stay somewhere else and refused to have the manager contact us. Do yourself a favour and stay somewhere else

• Stayed April 2014
3 Thank Lovetravel2723

Long Beach, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2014

The hotel is in the perfect location. The rooms were large, modern and clean. All staff were very friendly and parking was available nearby. Unfortunately, the noise coming from outside the room was just terrible. We were only able to sleep a few hours each night. We expected some noise being central Melbourne city but the amount was incredible. I wouldn't stay here again, unless they installed some sound proof windows and walls!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends