“Deserves the hype!”

Chin Chin
Ranked #28 of 4,037 Restaurants in Melbourne
Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Bar Scene, Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Full Bar, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighbourhood: Central Business District
Melbourne
“Deserves the hype!”
Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

I hate queuing for tables. Hence on our third attempt to eat at Chin Chin we arrived before 5pm to get in the line for dinner. After 20 minutes we were inside the door and told it was an hour wait for a table - or we could have a seat at the bar. We took the latter offer.
CC is loud, lively and has a great energy. The staff are friendly despite what must a frantic and gruelling job. The pace never lets up and it is seemingly always packed.
However it is the food we were there for and it is fantastic. The kitchen is quick so we had our first course with minutes. Pulled pork on a bettel leaf. Great. The beef short ribs were a revelation. Sweet, sticky, sour yum.
Everything we tried was exceptional. The cocktails looked cool too. next time we're going for the 'feed me' option to try all the chef's specials.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
“Chin Choke”
Reviewed 9 June 2014

I have heard some great reviews so I had to try this place out. Unfortunately my experience was quickly diminished as we were greeted by a male waiter of what appeared senior floor staff in taking our reservations he scoffed at us with a 2 hour wait. When finally seated the food could be described as less than pedestrian. When the bill came the waiter ensured to serve this with an open sneeze. I would have had a better dining experience at a St Vincent’s Soup Van.

4 Thank Joseph R
“Loved it!”
Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

Great experience. ...great food great service. ...didn't have to wait more than 5 mins. Food served up promptly. Will be back. ..only thing to be aware of is very noisy so not a place for young kids or elderly parents.

Tokyo
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The best thai meal I've had outside of Thailand”
Reviewed 9 June 2014

I was very impressed. We ordered a range of noodles, salads, curries... all were really good. Probably the best thai food I've had outside of Thailand.

Melbourne, Australia
“Worth the wait!”
Reviewed 7 June 2014

We waited for close to two hours on a Sunday evening. The final twenty minutes was spent waiting downstairs in the bar over a cocktail which could be finished upstairs. Highly recommend the "feed me" option as a way to sample a number of dishes from the menu. This was the second time I have been and am already looking for a time to return.

• Visited April 2014