“Great location and decent accomodation”

Mantra 100 Exhibition
Ranked #75 of 162 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed 5 November 2013 via mobile

We stayed here in October and found this Mantra to be in a great location in central Melbourne. We were in a 1 bedroom apartment and it was a decent size. The apartment was a bit dated and they could leave some more cutlery and utensils i.e. There were 3 of us staying and we got 3 forks, 3 knives etc. The staff were all helpful when we spoke to them. Overall a decent place to stay, not luxurious but nice.

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank imac2411
Mantra100, General Manager at Mantra 100 Exhibition, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2013

Dear imac2411,

Thanks for taking the time to review your recent stay; it is pleasing to hear our location suited your needs in Melbourne and that our staffs were helpful. We hope to see you again soon.

Kind regards,

Mantra 100 Exhibition

Reviewed 31 October 2013 via mobile

We chose this hotel because it was close to rod laver arena and it cost just under $10 to taxi from there when it was just two of us and $27 when we took the whole group in a maxi taxi. (Slow traffic on the way to the concert) The hotels location is great being just a few minutes walk to shopping, restaurants and the regent theatre. The hotel itself was well presented and the staff were friendly and helpful. We arrived early so they were happy to store our luggage and give us a call when the room was ready. They also stored it after checkout until our ride arrived in the afternoon. We had a two bedroom apartment and used the sofa bed in the lounge too. We all slept well after a big night out, you can hear the traffic which is to be expected given the location, but this doesn't phase us. We didn't hear any noise at all from other guests. The only negatives I could find is the shower wasn't the best and the bath very small, but these things weren't overly concerning to us, just mentioning in case it's vital to others. The apartment was comfortable and suited our needs and we would stay again.

Stayed: October 2013

Dear TasMum,

Thanks for taking the time to review our hotel. I am pleased to hear that you found the apartment comfortable and suited your needs. We also appreciate your comments in regard to our location and friendly and helpful staff.

We look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

Kind Regards,

Mantra 100 Exhibition.

Reviewed 25 October 2013

I stayed here for 4 nights in late May with my 18 month daughter. I am also a travel agent.
I paid per night for a cot to be in the room for my daughter....I should have read this site first because I've now learnt other customers got this for free!!
On my first night I had a housekeeping staff member walk into my room without knocking, while I was having a bath. I had to scream at him to leave now as he shouldn't be in my room, it took me saying this 3 times before he left! After complaining to reception, I was told that the reason he was there was to make sure the cot was ok, and was offered only a sorry from the girl at reception. She told me my complaint would be passed onto management but I heard nothing from them throughout my whole stay.
On our second night one of the towels left in the bathroom had a massive hair ball stuck to it.
There was quite a bit of rain on our third night there and waking up the following morning found the carpet under the windows (which were closed all night) in the lounge area completely saturated. I asked to be moved to another room for our final night as the room smelt damp and I wasn't comfortable having my daughter in that environment. They did change rooms for me, which was good.
I must admit after my first nite experience my decision was made that I would never stay there again and would never recommend to any of my customers wanting to travel to Melbourne. Perhaps an apology or recognition from management of what happened may have changed my mind. Overall, very bad service!

• Stayed: May 2013
3  Thank User115

Dear User115,

Many thanks for your review on your stay with us at Mantra 100 Exhibition back in May. It is disappointing to hear there were aspects of your stay that did not meet expectations. I apologise for these. I was partially disappointed to hear that our housekeeping department walked in on you without knocking. This is unacceptable and we are very sorry for this occurrence.
I have shared your comments with my front desk, housekeeping and maintenance staff and I expect improvements to be made in this area. Please accept my apologies for not receiving a response to your feedback, this is also unacceptable and I will investigate why this was not brought to my attention earlier. I appreciate your feedback and allowing us to learn from our mistakes. I hope you will consider us again in the future.

Kind Regards,

Mantra 100 Exhibition.

Reviewed 15 October 2013

In July, my husband and 1 year old daughter stayed in a 1 bedroom apartment.
The apartment was large, clean and contained all necessities.
Porta cot was provided free of charge.
Location is great, we stayed here as close to both the city and MCG.
Service at reception was great.
Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 October 2013

The room was excellent, with a fantastic view. The location is spot on.
The staff were super friendly and helpful, as was the manager.
We were so surprised and impressed by our experience I don't think we'd want to spend a weekend in Melbourne in any other hotel.
The bed was so comfy and we slept really well.
The value for money is great too.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 October 2013

Stayed one night in a 1 bedroom apartment on 10th floor facing Exhibition Street.
Bizarre arrangement that there were 10 floors but the lift only serviced the top 9 floors so 10th floor rooms were accessed via the stairs. Was the 10th floor an afterthought or do the lift cables not reach far enough? This wasn't an issue for me as was an overnight stay but clearly an issue for others as they were lugging their suitcases up the stairs.
Had no noise related problems at all.
However was typical wintry Melbourne weather while I was there (8 degrees overnight). Provided bedding was thin and no extra blanket existed in the room (which I understood was standard hotelier practice). Requested a blanket at midnight as was still shivering and was provided a thin summer blanket. Ended up sleeping in my coat and scarf to keep warm.
Also the clock radio was blinking/flashing when I checked into the room, tried to re-set it, went to dinner and came back and it was blinking/flashing again - gave up.
Provided written feedback on customer care card in the room so will be interested to see if I receive any response.
For this stay I think that the Housekeeping team's lack of attention to detail let down the Mantra - and its not an experience I want to have again - moral of the story is to check any spare blankets in the room before going to bed and to ask for two blankets rather than one if cold.

Room Tip: higher floors seem better
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Adelaidegirl233
Reviewed 2 October 2013

The one bedroom apartments are a nice design and everything is comfortable. We have stayed here several times, when it was Mantra and also when it was under different management. We have returned because it is so convenient for anything in the CBD, but our last stay was disappointing. We booked through a booking service, but arrived at the hotel to find that our booking had been lost. Luckily we had paperwork with us proving we had a confirmed booking, but we were told the rooms still empty were being held for other guests. We had a dinner engagement, so left to eat, while the staff sorted out what to do. We got a call during dinner to say our booking had been found.
Although our booking was for 6 nights, our room access cards stopped working after a few days and had to be re-programmed. When we checked out of the hotel, I didn't have my booking information to hand and only realised when I got home that we had also been overcharged for our stay. The money was refunded as soon as I contacted the hotel. None of these things spoiled our stay in Melbourne, but we have lost confidence in service at this Mantra and we are staying elsewhere on our next visit.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet location. We have always asked for this and never had problems with noise at this ho...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple