“Ordinary. Would like to see better”

Mantra 100 Exhibition
Ranked #75 of 160 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed 1 February 2014

Overall my stay was ok. The best bit about this hotel for me is its location to my work and the fact it has opening windows.
I stayed 3 nights last week and had one major complaint. I extended my booking from 2 nights to 3 nights with 48 hours notice before check in and the call centre staffperson was excellent in this. On my last morning I woke up early (6:30am) and decided to go searching for a good coffee, before checking out, only to find that my room key would no longer let me into my room. When I went to Reception they said that my room key was still programmed for the 2 night stay and had locked me out. They could not explain why this was also not extended in light of my extended booking and implied that it was up to me to check the programming of the room key (??). Strongly suggest that Management look into this as it meant that I left Mantra on a sour note and think I will check out Rydges one block down Exhibition next time.

Room Tip: away from the lifts
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Adelaidegirl233
Kara F, General Manager at Mantra 100 Exhibition, responded to this reviewResponded 5 February 2014

Thank you for posting feedback on your recent stay with us. I was pleased to read that until your last day, you had to date had a comfortable stay with us.
Regarding the room stay extension, this is indeed our responsibility to inform our guests and I sincerely apologise this was ineffectively communicated to you.

I am disappointed that this has caused you to look elsewhere for your next stay, please accept that this is not the level we strive for, nor extend as an intention. Should you wish to re consider your position, we would welcome an opportunity to have you stay with us once again.

There are newer reviews for Mantra 100 Exhibition

Reviewed 20 January 2014 via mobile

I would rate Mantra 100 Exhibition average +.
The rooms are comfortable. Bed and pillows are comfortable. Basic supplies provided.
The location is excellent for Rod Laver Arena. Close to great eateries ie - Longrain and Pellegrinis. It is also 2 minutes from Her Majestys Theatre.
Being on Exhibition St it can be noisy as it's a busy road but I have found staying up high, level 5 and above helps with this.
The reception staff were helpful and friendly.
A couple of things management need to address is the housekeeping and room maintenance.
Upon entering our room we immediately noticed the floor was not vacuumed, previous guests dirty socks were still in the bedroom,the sofa bed was not made up - this had been requested twice prior to check-in, coffee and tea were not refilled, not enough towels were supplied for total guests.
The shower and bath area desperately needs regrouting.
Overall this is a good hotel some small improvements would make it much better.

Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank Localtassiefamily
Kara F, General Manager at Mantra 100 Exhibition, responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2014

Thank you for posting your feedback on your recent stay with us. I was delighted to read that we were able to offer you a great stay from a location and customer service perspective, this is always lovely to hear.
I was, however disappointed to read your comments relating to other areas of your stay. We are curently reviewing and taking action with regards to both areas to ensure that they continue in the same direction as the rest of our business, your comments do assist us in showing that we are indeed focussing on the right areas. Maintaining a building is always a challenge, especially given the location of the property and how busy Melbourne is but we are committed to ensuring that no area is missed and that we continue to offer a value for money, comfortable place to stay.

Thank you again for your honest feedback.

Reviewed 15 January 2014

We stayed here just for a night in the 1 bedroom apartment for the New Year's Eve celebration. The price was exorbitant, but again, similar to other hotels in the CBD for the same date.
Upon arrival, easy check-in by the staff and gave us direction where to park the car. Be careful of the entry door itself if you have big or lots of luggage, as it was just a pair of double hinged doors. It doesn't have a door closer, meaning someone has to hold the door open especially if you have a lot of luggage. Maybe the management could take a note of this.
We went to our bedroom and everything seemed ok. However, acoustic in the room wasn't that fantastic. We can hear the baby's screaming in the next room, of course with the parents' voices as well. We can hear people wheeling their bags to/from the lift lobby. Also sometimes the cleaner's trolley would bang against the wall. Although it wasn't loud, it was enough for us to doubt the acoustic integrity of the wall. Perhaps the management should get the wall inspected by a reputable building surveyor.
What got us through the night was because we were so tired from going out that night.
The room we stayed in only had basic kitchen facility, perhaps do not expect to cook up a storm here.
All in all, I like this place because of its location. Other aspects, perhaps just average.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Kara F, General Manager at Mantra 100 Exhibition, responded to this reviewResponded 19 January 2014

Thank you for posting your honest feedback on your recent New Years Eve stay with us. I appreciate you acknowledge the demand for such an evening in Melbourne, we do ensure we remain in line with the industry in respect to special event date annually.
We were delighted to read of your ease of check in and service experienced upon arrival.

I understand that the wall integrity was questionable during your stay, all I can note it that the building meets all the regulations required for a Hotel, I can only say that it is indeed a very busy day and perhaps the activity was increased due to this.
The front doors have magnet openers attached to them to enable guests and the Team to easily keep them open during check in, unsure why our Team did not make this clear upon your arrival, I can only summise that perhaps they were unable to communicate with you at the time, for this I apologise.

Again, our thanks for sharing your recent experience, we hope you may again stay with us to observe our product for a second time.

Reviewed 15 January 2014

Stayed at Mantra 100 Exhibition for 2 weeks end of December 2013 and into January 2014. Previously stayed in Dec 2012/Jan 2013, that visit was excellent, the room was good - no complaints at all. One year later, not so good. Noisy neighbours on several occasions made it difficult to sleep, upon complaining to reception they came to check and of course at that time the noise had stopped. Also noticed that the cleaning standard was not so good this time, really needs some detailed cleaning. The location of this Mantra is excellent 5 mins walk to Bourke Street Mall, access to both Collins and Bourke Street trams. Staff are friendly with a good knowledge of Melb. Will try another Mantra next visit to Melb perhaps Russell Street.

Room Tip: I asked for a room away from the lifts, sometimes it helps this time it didn't as I had noisy ne...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Saphire07

Thank you for sharing your recent experiences with us. We were clearly disappointed that we failed to meet your expectations and to also read of the drop in standards you encountered between your stays. We have now put in place a process to ensure that the consistency in this space improves and I am pleased to say we have already seen great improvement.
We endeavour to ensure that all our guests feel comfortable during their stay, I am apologetic that your stay was marred by some fellow guests, trust that when identified this is able to be handled appropriately, although it appears on this occasion the Team could not action due to not sighting the noise issue.
We hope that you might re consider your return and enable us to show you our usual standard of service.

Reviewed 14 January 2014

Booked through a mystery package of a 1 bedroom apartment and was stoked to received a free upgrade to a very spacious 2 bedroom apartment. Great friendly service from all staffs ie reception, housekeeping and restaurant. Spot on location if you like walking distance to Chinatown but very close to the park. And I also appreciate their generous late check out fees.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Noritaco

Thank you for posting your recent experience with us. We are all delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and thank you for your kind comments on our Team.
We look forward to providing you a comfortable place to stay when next in Melbourne.

Reviewed 11 January 2014

Booked 2, one bedroom apartments for 3 nights. On checking in waited 10minutes for room allocations together even though we had requested them. One room the air conditioner didn't work so fans were supplied. The other room had plumbing problems as when showering the bath filled with water. No shampoo on arrival and had to request more tea & coffee. Both rooms on 6th floor looked a bit shabby.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Graham S
Kara F, General Manager at Mantra 100 Exhibition, responded to this reviewResponded 12 January 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on your recent stay with us. I was disappointed to read that your stay did not go as smoothly as should be expected.
There appears there were indeed some maintenance issues with your rooms and for this the Team and myself are regretful.
These issues will inevitably happen from time to time in any large property, although the crew have processes in place to identify issues prior to them affecting our guests in most cases.
I trust the Team looked after you as best they could given the circumstances and the high occupancy the Hotel was experiencing.
My apologies we were unable to accommodate your request upon arrival, at times we may not be able to accommodate prior and only on the day we have the movement necessary to do so, this is why we do not guarantee requests, to avoid disappointment.
The property underwent a refurbishment in recent years so I was surprised to read your comments on how you viewed the property. New furniture as well as new carpet and painting has been completed in the past year, all leading to what we believe is a fresh look in the property. I apologise you did not view the rooms in this way.

Our thanks again for taking the time to post your review.

Hotel Manager

Reviewed 10 January 2014

I want to stay for more than a night but I think it was fully booked. My room was big and has the complete amenities (fridge, big flat TV, hairdryer, washing machine, stove) for a business traveler. Staff were very accommodating and helpful. Would stay here again given a chance.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Karen F

Thank you for posting your review on your recent stay with us.
The Team and I are delighted to hear that you had a great stay and that we surpassed your expectations.
We look forward to seeing you again when next in Melbourne.

Hotel Manager