“bad experience”

Mantra 100 Exhibition
Ranked #78 of 161 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed 24 February 2014

Booked mantra 100 at last minute...good rate for a Sunday night but that was it then the nightmare began.
Arrived at hotel welcomed by receptionist who was looking a little bit bored with the overall situation upon arrival. Got electronic key for room then went to go up in the lift to be confronted with only 1 lift out of 3 working.
Waited 5 minutes for the lift to arrive, got to room to find that our electronic key would not work, asked a staff member but refused to call or open for us, then proceeded downstairs again, it seems that others were having the same scenario.
Went back up to our room at which time the receptionist let us in, then took the key to preprogramme once again.
Went to go from our room earlier to still find 1 lift working then when it arrived it was full of garbage bins with no room to board, once we did get in the lift some 6 minutes later we were confronted with garbage liquid all over the floor and had not been mopped, we had to draw this attention to front office staff.

After a night out we came back to our room for a wine to only find No wine glasses and the kitchen area poorly equipped for any catering.

having stayed here before I felt that the hotel is not being maintained to the level of some time ago and would not stay there again due to the way in which it is operating.

We were told on the sunday night that they were working on the other 2 lifts but even on Monday morning only 1 was working, very frustrating....Spoilt the short break away.

Great location but not a great hotel internally.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Ray P
Kara F, General Manager at Mantra 100 Exhibition, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2014

Thank you for posting your feedback on your most recent stay with us. I was of course disappointed to read of the issues you encountered during your stay.
We have indeed had some lift issues which we have now resolved. Due to the nature of lifts, operational issues will happen from time to time, although we are working hard to ensure this is limited.
It appears we failed in providing the internal basics in that particular room and acknowledge due to earlier lift issues, this may have compounded your dissatisfaction. This is not acceptable and certainly not what we are trying to achieve.
We have been working hard on many processes to endeavour to provide consistency in this area, we feel it is improving, however note that this was not the case for you and for this I truely apologise.
My thanks once again for taking the time to make comment.

Kara Francis

Write a ReviewReviews (1,234)

Reviewed 24 February 2014

Mantra was perfect for our needs with a good price and convenient location near the top end of Collins and a short walk to plenty of good food. Our 1 bedroom apartment had a comfy bed and plenty of space overlooking the Melbourne club lawn. The only downside was a bit of party noise from nearby bars and events. Wednesday and Thursday nights there was a lot of noise so we were worried what Friday night would bring-quiet! Luck of the draw I guess. Despite the noise our toddler went off to sleep fine and so did we. Id recommend the apartments for others travelling with a baby / young child for the convenience of having kitchen and laundry facilities while youre travelling, at a good price. And all of the staff were friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for sharing feedback on your recent stay with us. We appreciate your insight and it is great to read that you had a comfortable stay, despite the local revellers. I was also glad to note you all managed a good nights sleep.
We hope to be able to host you once again when next in Melbourne.

Reviewed 22 February 2014

I stayed 11 nights 4 – 15 February.
I was assigned Room 101 – a corner room that overlooked the alleyway. The corner room was slightly larger than the other rooms, although all the rooms are spacious. The benefit of overlooking the alley is there is no street noise. The downside, other than the lack of a view, which I did not mind, was the noise from the trash pickup which occurred every morning by at least 2 companies between about 3:30 AM and 5AM. For the most part the A/C fan drowned out some of the noise, but I was awaked every morning.

While spacious, Room 101 had a slightly odd layout. The bedroom was accessed through a door way from the spacious living/lounge room. From the other end of the bedroom the bathroom was accessed after stepping up two stairs. While this layout in itself is not odd, the A/C unit was in the living/lounge area and did not directly cool the bedroom. I discovered that by jacking down the A/C temperature, and jacking up the fan speed, and leaving the bathroom light on so the exhaust fan would run, I was able to draw cool air into the bedroom.

The room included a nice size refrigerator, fairly new microwave, a two burner range and a sink for washing dishes. There was adequate flatware, dishes, cups, glasses and pots and pans for two guests. A toaster and hot water kettle are provided along with an assortment of teas and instant coffee.

The Mantra does not include breakfast, but the eficeint kitchen more than makes up for having to purchase bre’ky supplies the night before.

The crème de la crème had to be the small (tiny) combination washer/dryer for clothes – up to 2.5kg per load. Laundry soap packets were provided each day. Having the ease of an in room laundry makes packing for long trips much easier as items can be washed and worn again.

As others have mentioned the location is very nice, on the edge of Chinatown in the central business district with plenty of shops and restaurants.

The Mantra is also serviced by the Skybus’ hotel transfer service, making the trip from and to the airport not only economical, but painless.

I found the staff to be most friendly and always helpful. My room was cleaned and made tidy everyday except on my last night. I am not sure why housekeeping skipped my room that day – but it was a minor inconvenience as I was leaving in the morning.

I found the price to be most reasonable, given that everything else in Melbourne is expensive relative to the States. There are several Mantra’s in Melbourne and throughout out Victoria, I suppose they are all similar.

I plan to return to Melbourne next February with my wife and will likely return to this very nice hotel.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank LostLen

Thank you for taking the time to provide a snapshot of your most recent stay. The Team and I appreciate your candid and honest assessment of our property.
We take on all comments and are delighted you overall had a comfortable stay with us. It would be a pleasure to see you return should you be in Melbourne once again.

Reviewed 9 February 2014

I stayed at the Mantra for three months from May to August last year for work and had a mixed experience of the hotel.
The location is great, right in the middle of the nicer end of the CBD with lots of good restaurants, shops and tourist attractions within easy walking distance. The staff were friendly and helpful when I needed things.
The apartment I stayed in was on the 9th floor and was a good size, nicely decorated & had all the basics things I needed in it. However my initial good impression was soured when I noticed that the carpet was filthy in the bedroom, complete with nail clippings from a previous occupant. I then had a closer look at other parts of the apartment and realised most of it was really dirty. I could write my name in the dust on the tv stand and the bathroom mirrors, I had to clean the kitchen drawers and wardrobe area myself before unpacking as they were filthy. The hair dryer in the bathroom had quite a long wire which was covered in think, sticky dirt and I doubt had ever been cleaned.
When I complained to management they were very apologetic but it took several days for my room to be cleaned and throughout my 3 month stay I quite regularly had to ask for the room to be cleaned or do it myself.
One other negative regarding the noise from other rooms - the walls were paper thin and I could hear everything from the rooms on either side.
Having said all that I did actually enjoy my stay at the mantra and would possibly return but they really need to sort out the cleaning!

Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
Kara F, General Manager at Mantra 100 Exhibition, responded to this reviewResponded 16 February 2014

Thank you for posting your feedback on your recent long stay with us in Melbourne. We were naturally really pleased your stay was overall comfortable and that the Team were able to accommodate your service requests. I was disappointed of course to read of your view of our housekeeping levels and as such have addressed this with our housekeeping Team. This area of our business is a constant focus as we are aware of the importance of getting this right so we appreciate all insight.
I apologise that the level was not to an acceptable standard during your stay, however please trust that we are definately onto ensuring this type of service level is constantly improved.
Our thanks once again for your comments, I hope you decide to stay with us again in the near future.

Reviewed 9 February 2014 via mobile

Bought a last minute deal for 1 bed apt. Good location and apartment was spacious enough for us both. Was nice that the bathroom was not directly beside room as they often are, gives a little privacy if needed! Bed wasn't amazing but to be honest but ok for one night. Easy walk to China town, aami park and everywhere in cbd really. Cheap enough parking down little Collins ($16) overnight on weekend. Staff.were lovely and friendly. Would stay here again.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for posting you feedback on your recent stay with us. We were pleased to read that you had an enjoyable and comfortable stay. We look forward to welcoming you back when you are next in Melbourne.

Reviewed 1 February 2014

Overall my stay was ok. The best bit about this hotel for me is its location to my work and the fact it has opening windows.
I stayed 3 nights last week and had one major complaint. I extended my booking from 2 nights to 3 nights with 48 hours notice before check in and the call centre staffperson was excellent in this. On my last morning I woke up early (6:30am) and decided to go searching for a good coffee, before checking out, only to find that my room key would no longer let me into my room. When I went to Reception they said that my room key was still programmed for the 2 night stay and had locked me out. They could not explain why this was also not extended in light of my extended booking and implied that it was up to me to check the programming of the room key (??). Strongly suggest that Management look into this as it meant that I left Mantra on a sour note and think I will check out Rydges one block down Exhibition next time.

Room Tip: away from the lifts
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Adelaidegirl233
Kara F, General Manager at Mantra 100 Exhibition, responded to this reviewResponded 5 February 2014

Thank you for posting feedback on your recent stay with us. I was pleased to read that until your last day, you had to date had a comfortable stay with us.
Regarding the room stay extension, this is indeed our responsibility to inform our guests and I sincerely apologise this was ineffectively communicated to you.

I am disappointed that this has caused you to look elsewhere for your next stay, please accept that this is not the level we strive for, nor extend as an intention. Should you wish to re consider your position, we would welcome an opportunity to have you stay with us once again.

Reviewed 20 January 2014 via mobile

I would rate Mantra 100 Exhibition average +.
The rooms are comfortable. Bed and pillows are comfortable. Basic supplies provided.
The location is excellent for Rod Laver Arena. Close to great eateries ie - Longrain and Pellegrinis. It is also 2 minutes from Her Majestys Theatre.
Being on Exhibition St it can be noisy as it's a busy road but I have found staying up high, level 5 and above helps with this.
The reception staff were helpful and friendly.
A couple of things management need to address is the housekeeping and room maintenance.
Upon entering our room we immediately noticed the floor was not vacuumed, previous guests dirty socks were still in the bedroom,the sofa bed was not made up - this had been requested twice prior to check-in, coffee and tea were not refilled, not enough towels were supplied for total guests.
The shower and bath area desperately needs regrouting.
Overall this is a good hotel some small improvements would make it much better.

Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank Localtassiefamily
Kara F, General Manager at Mantra 100 Exhibition, responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2014

Thank you for posting your feedback on your recent stay with us. I was delighted to read that we were able to offer you a great stay from a location and customer service perspective, this is always lovely to hear.
I was, however disappointed to read your comments relating to other areas of your stay. We are curently reviewing and taking action with regards to both areas to ensure that they continue in the same direction as the rest of our business, your comments do assist us in showing that we are indeed focussing on the right areas. Maintaining a building is always a challenge, especially given the location of the property and how busy Melbourne is but we are committed to ensuring that no area is missed and that we continue to offer a value for money, comfortable place to stay.

Thank you again for your honest feedback.