“Needs profession cleaning but would stay here again lol.”
Review of Elizabeth Hostel

Elizabeth Hostel
Ranked #114 of 136 Speciality Lodging in Melbourne
Chelmsford
“Needs profession cleaning but would stay here again lol.”
Reviewed 20 November 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for about 4 days in late September and the first room we stayed in wasn't great. Had a half a window pane missing so at night it was quite noisy with the wind. Had a skylight in the room which had a fan in to circulate the air but loads of dirt and dead bugs would fall through onto the bunk bed below which was covered every day.
Then as we decided to stay an extra couple of days we changed rooms which was much better, actually had all windows intact, linen was clean, room was clean. However the curtain in the room was absolutely rancid, clearly had never been cleaned and there were about 3 plug sockets that didn't work.
It does have washing and drying facilities on every floor which work well and only cost a few dollars each.
Our sheets were washed regularly as well so people who have said that they weren't changed, the hostel has obviously learnt by now.
But despite all of this, in a really weird way this was one of my favourite hostels in my whole 7 weeks of travelling the East Coast of oz. Made some friends for life in there, got on with the staff so well and it's so easy to just chill in the reception area and drink copious amounts of alcohol which the staff don't mind, as long as you're not noisy after midnight.
I would recommend this hostel but don't expect much from it. It's quite basic but the wifi is free and does work well. That was a massive plus for me.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank gazzah91

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Rotorua, New Zealand
Reviewed 20 November 2013

we stayed here for one night...thank god. We arrived around 11pmish after travelling all day only to think we had walked into a bar/club. There was some sort of party going on in reception and could barely hear the guy behind the desk. He asked for id and kept my drivers licence...why not take a copy?? Next morning the new guy had trouble finding it....scary. The 'free wi-fi' is only in the reception area which was full of drunken idiots. One guy probably needed medical attention but his drinking buddies didn't seem to bothered. Thankfully we were 2 floors above reception so couldn't hear any of the noise down below. The bathrooms were ok....but not clean. The room was ok but only had one socket...which was behind the fridge. The top bunk had a broken base and sank in the middle...so much so, I was almost afraid to move in the night in case it fell through. Would NEVER recommend or stay here again

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Nadine B

Travellers are raving about these Melbourne hotels

York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 September 2013

Run by scummy Asians who would steal anything from you.

I had to pay a key deposit and was told to issue a receipt and I would get my $30 deposit back.

My receipt was in a sports bag with a friend. So I drove to my friends place picked up the receipt and headed back to the hostel.

I got back to the hostel after all my efforts and I was told by a new reception guy that I was late by an hour and he wouldn't give back my $30.

Hate is an understatement.!

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank davidelbourne
Reviewed 22 May 2013 via mobile

We spent just one night there but never again, people at the reception were not friendly and the kitchen was dirty and messy.
The place is really cold, we had a bedroom with no window, doesn't matter for one night but there was a hole in the roof covered only by a thin peace of plastic.

• Stayed May 2013
2 Thank MarcoDall
Wenzhou
Reviewed 8 May 2013

friendly staff, friendly astomesphere. The location is great, at the center of Melbourne. Close to train station and tram station and victoria market.
Room and bathroom was clean. Love the idea of walk-in cool room. Free wifi.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank zhengxingda
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 8 April 2013

It must be said that most hostels are 'average', so one can't expect too much when booking a cheap city room, but this hostel is absolutely disgusting. I at least expected a clean bed but didn't get that. The kitchen was an absolute disgrace, there were even birds flying around (and hence faeces on the cooking surfaces). I couldn't use it to cook any meals during my stay. The bathrooms weren't any better. The toilet floors were covered in urine and mud, and the showers - semen. There were 2 male showers to cater for around 30 rooms which made things difficult in the morning. Nothing was cleaned during my stay there and I doubt it had been for weeks before I arrived. The reception staff were useless and had lost my booking. I stayed in a private twin room (was more expensive than originally quoted) which reeked of cigarette smoke (as did the rest of the hostel), my bed linen hadn't been changed since the previous guest, the wifi didn't work, the power sockets didn't work. THE most uncomfortable mattress I have ever slept in. I can't find one positive thing to say about this hostel. Spend the extra $10 - $20 and stay somewhere worth your money.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank trc26
Reviewed 10 March 2013

Absolutely horrendous. The picture was less than appealing online, however we were on a budget and needed somewhere to stay. When we arrived we found the room not in liveable condition, lacking the "working tv and coffee/tea" promised to us. There were white stains on the "washed linen", which smelt like a sweaty man. Down the side of the bed was an accumulation of hair, dust mites and hair clips from previous customers. The pillows were that old that they were mangled into a hard lumpy cloud which was riddled with bed mites. The pillow cases were NOT WASHED. The facilities were absolutely horrific with hair and tampons in the open bins and smelly stained toilets. We paid a miserable amount of money for the night and to be honest I would have been happier sleeping on the airport floor. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY OR RISK YOUR PERSONAL HYGIENE. A DISEASE INFESTED HOTEL IS AN UNDERSTATEMENT.

• Stayed February 2013