“Decent budget backpackers”

The Greenhouse Backpacker
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for an end of season sporting trip. Great location, clean showers and rooms. Our room was a little small and crowded but we werent in there much so wasnt too bad. Some of the floors are designated "quiet floors", so be wary of this if you want to play music and talk loudly.
Good staff who looked after us. Would probably stay again.

• Stayed: May 2014

Reviewed 26 May 2014

Big fan of this place,stayed four nights with my wife and four children,and couldn't be happier,clean,friendly,top location,will be back.
Breakfast was good and included in the price,staff helpful,no downsides,stay and enjoy.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 May 2014

Excellent experience when catch up with different backpackers. Great location. Dorm clean with personal locker. Simple breakfast to serve on daily morning. Staff helpful and convenience to book tour online or at tour desk. Skybus can be book at reception to airport, but need book one day in advance.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 May 2014

Great location and friendly staff. The rooms were clean for a bigger hostel with plenty of space. I met some great people and had a great time. They can also organise trips and tours for you. I would stay again.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Really nice hostel, well located just next to Flinders street station. The majority of the rooms don't have any Windows, it's good for you if you want to sleep all day (it helped with the jetlag). There's a lot of activities offered by the hostel and it's really Worth the time. The tuesday night free meal is great and delicious. Facilities are good, even though some of the stoves don't work. I would totally recommend this property if you plan to visit Melbourne. It's a very good place for the price. I've been back a few time overthere and would keep going there if I would still be in Australia.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 May 2014

I stayed here over the weekend with my cousin who was exploring Australia following a work trip to Sydney. I had been staying with family in the suburbs and wanted to stay in the CBD, but budget was a constraint.

I have stayed in hostels before, and this one was ok. Having stayed in hostels before, I knew that earplugs would be a necessity, however, the walls were so thin, and we were so close to the lifts that I could still hear noise even through my earplugs!

I booked us a twin private room so that we didn't have to worry about locking up our things all the time. It was $90 each for the 2 nights that we stayed. My cousin stayed an extra night for $34 in a dorm. The room was clean and the beds were comfortable, however there were no windows in our room, which I find difficult to sleep in as I am always anxious about oversleeping when there is no natural light.

The showers were relatively clean - although I went in there immediately after they had been cleaned, and there were still hairs stuck to the floor in the corners which is not what I was expecting to see after cleaning! The showers and toilets always smelled fresh though.

You need to be early for breakfast, otherwise there is nothing there. It's also a bit hectic, with lots of blurry-eyed people milling around trying to figure out what to have/wash up/cook. Quite basic - choice of 3 cereals, toast, eggs etc.

The lift is the slowest one I have ever been in - considering the reception is on the 6th floor, I'm surprised they are not faster. Luckily my room was on the 5th floor, so was able to take the stairs between the 2 floors when required.

Great location for seeing and getting around the city, but you do get what you pay for.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank beany63
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Nice clean hostel with great location and helpful staff. The free dinner on Tuesday is really good.
The place runs out of cutlery sometimes, but that is because some guests tend to leave them on the table and take their sweet time to chat after meals.

ps: Thanks to Germaine from Friendly Travel for sorting out my ground tour to GOR and PI!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo