“Funky and modern with a bright flair!” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Ovolo Laneways
Ranked #13 of 158 Hotels in Melbourne
Melbourne, Australia
“Funky and modern with a bright flair!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2014

My partner and I are local Melburnians and decided to stay 1 night in the city to treat ourselves. We had a very fun stay at this quirky and comfortable hotel.
Our room was a perfect size with great character, including a blackboard to leave each other messages! The bar fridge is complimentary and on arrival you receive a 'loot bag' of snacks as well. The lounge area was particularly relaxing too with a surprising amount of space.
It's in a great location on the Eastern side of the CBD, right next door to the great restaurant: Mrs Parmas.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PaxRomanaXVII
Kelly O, General Manager at Ovolo Laneways, responded to this review, 29 January 2014
Dear Saric246,

Greetings from the Ovolo Hotel Melbourne! I hope you are surviving this Melbourne heat wave.

Thank you for such a wonderful review on the property and for taking the time to share details of your recent stay.

I hope to welcome you back to Ovolo soon.

General Manger
Ovolo Hotel Melbourne

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2014

The Ovolo is in a fantastic central location close to shopping, restaurants and nightlife. It has a great funky style and casual friendly staff. Thanks especially for the fast free wifi - more Australian hotels need to get on board with this standard. I liked the idea of the free mini bar and happy hour, although sadly the wines available are basic, not helped by the strange plastic cups (hint - decant the wine into one of the glasses provided in your room). The bathroom was disappointingly cramped - the basin ridiculously small, with nowhere for our toiletries. This is extra strange given the generous size of the room, which could easily give up a few square metres to make the bathroom glamorous.. More detailed attention is required by the cleaners, the job was adequate but not sparkling. The lifts are disturbing - they need an upgrade to be smooth and to work smoothly with the security system.

Room Tip: room facing the street, or higher up, get more light
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Kelly O, General Manager at Ovolo Laneways, responded to this review, 27 January 2014
Dear Sajehouse,

Sunny Greetings from Ovolo Hotel Melbourne!

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay here at the hotel.

I am glad to hear to you enjoyed the location of the property and the super-fast WiFi, these are two things we pride ourselves on, along of course with great customer service.

Regarding the room design and lifts we understand that these are areas of improvement and are always looking for new designs and features that fit with the Ovolo branding. I hope to have you return to the property in the coming months and see some of the updates to the hotel.

Kelly O’Neill
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2014

Having read the reviews of this hotel in advance, I was concerned about noise so at check in asked for a quiet room. I was reassured that I had a quiet room and there was no significant external noise. This proved to be totally false - there was a constant loud intermittent humming which even with a sleeping tablet and ear buds made it impossible to sleep (it turned out immediately on the outside wall of my room was two large air con units).

Eventually in the in the early hours I could bear it no longer and had to ask to be moved to another room. This was quickly provided - however the room I was given was already occupied and I walked in on someone in bed!!! I was shocked how this could have happened and it made me question the hotel security.

After another trip to reception I was provided with another room key and thankfully did manage to get some sleep.

Another constant problem was the room key (which you need to use in the lift to get to your room). I found it only worked around 20% of the time, despite repeated replacements - this quickly became very annoying. I note others have highlighted this issue - although the staff claimed to be surprised.

The room itself was modern and trendy - although was showing quite a lot of signs of wear and tear despite this being a new-ish property. The free mini bar and loot bag was a nice touch.

It's worth nothing that this hotel has minimal public space, you have to squeeze past the reception desk to get the the lifts. They do have an open bar in the evening, but in the small space having to squeeze past large groups drinking heavily wasn't really an upmarket boutique hotel experience.

On the face it it this is a modern, forward thinking hotel - but I had too many issues to consider this chain in the future.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the highest floor available.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Dear richardlondon,

Greetings from the Ovolo Hotel Melbourne.

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with the hotel, it’s with this feedback that we are able to identify reoccurring issues and work on amending them immediately.

With regards to the noise in room, I do apologise. Being a smaller CBD based hotel it is difficult for us to guarantee no noise however as you discovered there are a few rooms at the back of the property for guests who may find the city noise a little too loud. We are always looking into ways to minimise the noise externally and hope to find a solution to this issue as soon as possible.
Also, I must assure you that the room security was an isolated incident and I shall speak with my team regarding this.

Regarding rooms please also note that we are currently embarking on a soft refurbishment to bring the rooms back to their original state. This will include painting, slight maintenance and a few upgrades to certain rooms.

I do hope that you should return to Melbourne you can give the property another chance as I would like to restore your faith back in Ovolo. If this is an option please come direct to the hotel and I will ensure your return stay is better than the first.

Auckland, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2014

Overall we enjoyed our stay here. The rooms are very quirky amd different to any others I have stayed in. Our room was large for a studio suite and I loved the modern design and little quirks such as free mini bar, loot bag and chalkboard. However there was no chalk available to use in any of our two rooms. We also found te rooms not to be very well sound proofed and were awoken early each morning by loud noises from bot inside and outside the hotel. The plumbing was the worst as when the room next door showered it was loud enough to wake us up and prevent us from getting back to sleep. Our room was made up every day except for one, possibly due to use arriving back to the room at about 3pm. Housekeeping did a great job as everything was always perfect. The mini bar was restocked each day which was great. The grab n' go breakfast was great and saved us a lot of money, only negative is the pastries were quite stale on each of our 5 mornings. Free happy hour between 6 and 8 was handy however the limit of two drinks per person was a bit of a downer. I would have wished there was room service available for something easy when you want to stay in, however there are a wide range of restaurants surrounding the hotel. The self laundry facilities are very convenient and a cheap and fast way to clean your things. There were quite a few black marks on our rooms walls and the beds platform was falling apart and had been taped rather poorly back on. Service was average and not what you would expect from such a small and especially boutique hotel. They were obviously bored out of their minds and disinterested but it would have been nice to have been greeted on each occasion of us passing by without us initiating conversation. And this was not on the odd occasion as i experienced this service on each day of our stay from all staff. I work in hotels and am aware of how boring it can get but having a positive and outgoing attitude when working can brighten everyones day and make time go a lot faster. I am in love with this hotel and wouldnt have looked to stay any where else if I had the chance, however the service caused meant I couldnt reward it five stars. I have enjoyed my time here and looked forward upon returning back to my beautiful room after each day.

• Stayed January 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Kelly O, General Manager at Ovolo Laneways, responded to this review, 2 January 2014
Dear Japan2003,

Happy New Year to you!

Thank you for your review on our hotel from your recent stay with us in Melbourne.

Firstly, I am pleased to find that you liked the fit-out and quirky vibe of Ovolo Melbourne and also enjoyed your time here regardless of a few hiccups encountered.

As a fellow hotelier, I am sure you can understand that general wear and tear takes place in most properties, I like to say 1 year in normal years is really 5 in hotel years. And so due to this the hotel in 2014 is going through some soft maintenance with sound proofing also something we are looking into.

Regarding the customer service you received, I can only apologise as I find it a shame that you didn't receive the upbeat customer service which our team here usually deliver. This is something we can look at internally and amend as it's not something Ovolo prides itself on. We portray a fun and vibrant environment and service should reflect this.

I do hope to have you back at the hotel again soon as I would like for you to experience the real 'Ovolo Life'; fun smiling staff, rocking music, quirky rooms and 'no rules Happy Hour'.

Please drop me a line if you do return and I will ensure you receive this service on your next stay.

All the best in 2014.

Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2013

We stayed for as couple of nights. This hotel is in a great location. The room was clean and had a goody bag and a blackboard for expressive doodling. The bed was on a raised pedestal/platform - sometimes a trick for the unwary but nothing too bad. Noisy plumbing from other rooms was the only major disappointment. Laundry access was easy and convenient. Breakfast pastries and complimentary beverages in the foyer were welcome but tea/coffee facilities in the room were minimal. The staff were helpful and made suggestions if asked. Close to trams and within walking distance to a lot of the city.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Rafowl,

Happy New Year to you!

Thank you for your feedback from a recent stay at the hotel. I am very pleased that all in all you had a great experience at the property.

Please keep us in mind for any future stays and don't forget about our fabulous properties in Hong Kong if you are ever travelling.

All the best in 2014.

Union, New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2013 via mobile

This hotel has some good points and some bad I will list the bad first. First and foremost is the keying system for the elevator and the rooms they have second rate system that immediately needs to be replaced. This was absolutely the most annoying thing to happen to me at any hotel, my key was replaced no less then 30 times in 5 days. The shower is odd and the water spills all over the bathroom no matter how carefully you shower. The hotel is slightly noisy and we had an issue for 15 minutes with music one night.
The room design is excellent free Internet works well. The hotels location is central to many places in Melbourne. Mini Bar a plus and breakfast was enough for my family. If they improve a few items I would give them 4 stars.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Dear ken a,

Happy New Year to you!

Thank you for your feedback from a recent stay. I am very pleased to hear that you liked the room design and location and enjoyed the "Ovolo Freebies" such as mini bar and Wi-Fi. We too are big fans!

Regarding key issues, I do apologise for the numerous re-cutting of keys, it really was not ideal and so we have had a technician repair the existing key access systems, and we are now back up and running.

I do hope you can return to the hotel soon and enjoy a key issue free time!

All the best in 2014!

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 December 2013

We had a great stay for a single night in Melbourne. Great Location for restaurants and theaters. Rooms are well presented and clean. The staff friendly and helpful. We asked nicely and received in full.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Kelly O, General Manager at Ovolo Laneways, responded to this review, 26 December 2013
Dear Wickedweasel,

Seasons Greetings to you!

Thank you for such a fab review on the hotel. It is great to hear that you liked our rooms, location and staff. I look forward to welcoming you back in the New Year and further exceeding your expectations.

Have a wonderful 2014!