“A comfortable apartment at a great price”
other traveller has booked this property
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Very good
Melbourne CBD Serviced apartment entry area
Supervised undercover parking nearby (not affiliated with StayCentral)
Melbourne CBD Serviced apartment city view
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
stinker13
Adelaide, Australia
“Great Location - Good Accommodation”
Reviewed 23 February 2013 for a stay in January 2013

My husband and I stayed here during the Australian Open and the price was very reasonable for a peak period. The location was perfect for us. Chinatown is literally on the back doorstep - there is a back entrance and it leads directly into Chinatown. There is numerous handy restaurants and shops nearby. There is a bar / sports bar next door a 24 hour restaurant half a block a way, various other small restaurants within a block, supermarket and Big W - both which are open quite late at night about a block away and several blocks away is Swanston St, with fast food eateries and shopping precinct. Tram stops are in nearby streets, but we chose to walk to Melbourne Park for the tennis, which took us about 20 minutes each day. The apartment is almost on the city edge, and I also did a couple of runs/walks and it was nice to head out of the city towards the MCG with the parks and gardens around there, very pleasant to run through.

We were let in by Douglas who was lovely and very helpful, in showing us around the apartment and advising us of the amenities nearby. But we did find that he lingered, perhaps a few minutes too long in his "tour" - trying to be helpful I think.

The apartment is as it appears in the photos, although in real life it is a little more tired than the photos depict. It was comfortable for 2 people - personally I would not want to be there with any more people than that. The other apartments in the building are predominately privately owned by the looks and seem to be owner occupied or rented to mainly overseas students. I found everyone I met in the building or lift to be very pleasant and the corridors and apartments were all very quiet.

Note that the pool is not a private pool. The pool is actually part of the hotel next door, but accessible from the residential part of the building. I did not visit it, but my husband did and he said it was not the cleanest pool he had ever visited.

The TV and air conditioning are both in the lounge room - which for us was a little annoying. It was quite warm while there and the airconditioner reaches the bedroom, but was not as effective as being in the bedroom. Also I was not able to curl up in bed to watch the TV after a long day out.

The bathroom sink / bench space is nowhere near enough, so I resorted to placing items on the floor. The bathroom itself is a reasonable size. I did find it very hard to regulate the temperature of the water - the temperature seemed to change throughout a shower and the slightest touch of the taps, made for an extreme change in temperature.

The bed and pillows were extremely comfortable and the bedroom was a good size. Blockout curtains and double glazing makes for little external noise and light at night, if that is of concern.

Be aware of the servicing arrangements. This apartment is advertised as a serviced apartment. We stayed for 7 nights and there was no servicing in this time. It was an additional charge - which I found out when we got there, if you wanted more frequent servicing (I think standard was only once every 7 days - so we did not get any). Although in saying that, it may have been mentioned in the booking notes - but you don't get this until after you have paid the deposit. I did not expect daily servicing, but every 2 or 3 days or even 4 would have been more appropriate.

Lastly the kitchen.... This was the major downfall of this apartment - there was an insect infestation in the cupboards. As a result I did not use anything from the kitchen, except the sink. It did not upset me too much as I really had no intention of cooking or using the kitchen to any extent, but if I had arrived expecting or wanting to use it, I would have been highly annoyed. I did however find some of the offending insects as far away as the dining table - so I did not keep any foodstuffs in the dining / kitchen area.

Overall would I stay here again..... Hard to say. It was good, but a few little things meant it was only good and not great or excellent. Let's just say we have not written it off, but it may not be a first choice for a future stay. Would I recommend it to friends.... Same - hard to say, but not written off.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Location and comfy bed
Liked least: Tired setting and insect infestation in the kitchen
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
Older travelers
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Management Response
23 Feb 2013
It is so good to see that some guests go to so much trouble to give us feedback. We really appreciate it. In fact we pursue it with vigour, as it can only help us to improve guests' experience.

In this case, we tried to contact the guest after their first night, calling the apartment and also leaving a message on their mobile phone to call us if there were any issues, but we heard nothing back, and could only assume that all was well.

We're glad they seemed to like the apartment on the whole, as well as the location; it is brilliant for visiting the city. Douglass receives a huge amount of praise by guests, as evidenced in the other reviews and in the guest book. His willingness to help people with their orientation obviously seemed unusual in this case.

We're not sure why the guest felt the apartment appeared more tired than in our photos. The photos were not taken by a professional, or doctored in any way. To overcome fears by guests that our properties are not like the way they are shown on our website, we offer a 125% Satisfaction Guarantee on the site. We have never had to refund a guest for this.

The pool is not a private pool. Everyone (most of them permanent residents) in the building, which includes the hotel, is permitted to use it. Hotel staff clean the pool regularly, so I am not sure what was "not the cleanest". The Owners' Corporation, which includes the hotel, spent more than $150,000 refurbishing the pool area last year, and it looks brilliant, so we will be checking that they will not be missing any of the cleans on their schedule.

This is a 3.5 star property. Even our 4 star apartments mostly don't have air-con and TVs in the bedrooms, though some do. It is, however, a standard that we are working towards across the group, so we are impressed to heart that some of our guests do indeed want this facility.

We have noted the comments about the bathroom, and have begun investigations with the building manager regarding the hot water, which comes from a central location in the building. We have recommended that the owners install a slightly larger vanity, but the space is limited, so we are looking at installing an extra shelf to overcome the issue re shelf space.

We advertise weekly servicing on all our marketing material, so we are surprised to see this comment, however, we have noted this in some extra places to make it more prominent.

Thanks to feedback from this guest, we discovered that the building itself had an insect problem; it wasn't just our apartment if that is any consolation. The source of the insects was a pipe duct that ran past the kitchen, so this fits with the guest comments. Fortunately, the building was manager had already started addressing the issue, and it has not been a problem since.

Thank you once again for the feedback.
Penang
Reviewed 17 December 2012 for a stay in November 2012

People with disabilities Older travelers
Jacqui T
Port Elizabeth, South Africa
“Neat and cosy - and centrally located”
Reviewed 3 December 2012 for a stay in November 2012

The apartment, although fairly small, was neat and cosy and had everything we needed, even for our 11 month old baby (e.g. fridge, micro). Very centrally located and easy walking distance to China Town and to trams / bus routes. Douglass is very helpful and explained all we needed to know!

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Location
Liked least: Shared laundry
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Your age range 35-49
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Sydney

Buninyong
Reviewed 24 September 2012 for a stay in September 2012

A romantic getaway Older travelers
Luxury-minded travelers
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing
;