“A pleasant surprise on Southbank”
Review of Trocadero - CLOSED

Trocadero
Cuisines: European
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Canberra, Australia
“A pleasant surprise on Southbank”
Reviewed 24 March 2013

I was in Melbourne to see a Bruce Springseen concert which started at 7.00 pm. I needed to find a restaurant around Southbank that would give me dinner at 5.00 pm. My traditional favourite at Southbank, Walters Wine Bar, said "no", not until 5.30 pm. Trocadero had been well reviewed that day in the Sunday Age so I walked across the square to try it out. I had no reservation but the maitre d' welcomed me anyway and I was given a table in the attractive dining room with its views of the city skyline and river. On a latish sunny afternoon it was a delightful ambience. I was quickly set up with a French champagne for around $20 and given a menu. The place says it is a bar and brasserie. It is more than that. The wine list is ambitious and enticing. The food verges on fine dining. I had 6 oysters from Batemans Bay in NSW which were delicious. They were fresh as ... and still attached to the shells. There was copious liquid still in the shells and the squeeze of lemon was all they needed. These were beautiful oysters that tasted absolutely of the sea. Following was another fish dish - crispy skinned flathead fillets with a terrific green salad. The bread was artisan and the unsalted butter beautiful. A French chablis by the glass was subtle and creamy. I looked at desserts on a small but appropriate list and chose an apple cake with quince and other things. It was up to standard, as was the viscous and deeply flavoured espresso coffee. The service was excellent throughout and the cost was $112, which I though good value. I think Walters has a great competitor and I'll be back here again. They open from 11.00 am until "late", but I think they see "late" as 11.00 pm. In this location they should go later. There would be a demand.

1 Thank fatheralbert

Melbourne, Australia
“Not for after theatre supper despite location”
Reviewed 23 March 2013

Went after a performance at the Arts Centre on a Friday evening. Arrived at 22:00 on the dot and told could only have the bar snack menu. Staff were disorganised and disinterested. Food arrived before drinks despite being ordered ten minutes after the drinks. Food was ok without being outstanding. A table with a couple of young women was attended by four different waiters who chatted and laughed with them while we could not get our water glasses refilled. Have heard good things but there was no evidence of it on this occasion.

Melbourne
“Clever, tasty food, great value”
Reviewed 14 March 2013

You can eat extremely well at Trocadero with a range of very reasonably priced dishes - and the odd 'special' that might blow your budget. Inventive food combinations, beautifully cooked, with a great view across the Yarra River of Melbourne's CBD. Part of the arts precinct at Hamer Hall, the restaurant can be very busy in the early evening - which sometimes means the daily specials can run out quickly. If you're not going to the theatre, book after 7.30 and avoid the rush. Tables are reasonably well spaced and although the restaurant caters to large groups, the noise isn't oppressive and diners don't feel crowded, unless you're unlucky enough to get a table in a little corridor area linking the restaurant to the bar.

1 Thank thefoodieworld
Melbourne, Australia
“A night out in Melbourne CBD with views”
Reviewed 12 March 2013

This restaurant has amazing city views. Situated right opposite Flinders Street station across the Yarra. We were a table of 5 and were taking our staff out for our end of year celebrations. The food was faultless, absolutely delicious and unexpected. The menu can seem a little confusing but got with it as we ordered many different dishes and everyone was blown away. The were two important elements to the evening that did not go so well. First the waiter we had was absolutely useless. We found him very hard to hear and when you could hear him instead of making a the menu clearer he made it even more confusing. We were starving and there was oil and butter on our table but no bread. I asked the waiter possible 7 times for the bread over the course of waiting over an hour. Got the attention of what looked like the head waitress and thankfully she responded immediately. The outdoor area definitely does not match the food. They have put synthetic grass outside along with a kids table tennis setup - like what the?? The lighting outside was interrupting the beautiful city skyline and as the night got darker those hideous lights got brighter - like get it right people? The food was well worth trying but the rest of the restaurant needs help!

• Visited January 2013
Melbourne, Australia
“Fine dining without all the fuss”
Reviewed 5 March 2013

I've been to this newish place twice since it opened last year, and both proved to be a satisfying experience. The first time was more like a quick snack before a show at Hamer Hall, so I only had the triple cooked potatoes with truffle mayonnaise and pecorino. But even so, I enjoyed it a lot and it made me curious to go back.

So the second time I had a proper, 3-course dinner with a friend. We shared the heirloom tomato salad with buffalo mozzarella, which was really refreshing during one of those long summer days in Melbourne. For the main, I tried the onion risotto (sweet and tender, with a nice contrast of scattered pepitas) and my friend the garfish pie (apparently it's one of the favorites here and keeps featuring on the specials).

Desserts are a must-try here. The tiramisu has an unusual presentation, with the surprising twist of blackcurrant jelly (nice, but I think the jelly should have been less acid). And the caramel cooked cream with pear and popcorn crumble, already mentioned by several reviewers, really lived up to its reputation. This smart dessert made me smile at the first spoonful.

Service was friendly and punctual - I guess they are trained for this because a lot of people go here before a show or concert next door. But you can just go here to enjoy the food, too. In terms of taste and presentation, it can compete with other fine dining places in Melbourne, with the added flexibility (eat as much or as little as you'd like) and a relaxed atmosphere.

2 Thank SpiceNSpruce