“Really good hotel, slightly over priced though.”

Ranked #113 of 160 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed 16 April 2014 via mobile

Everything was perfect with this hotel, good room, location, service, gym, bar and everything else. only thing I could fault it for is it may be slightly over priced. If your flush for cash then stay here. If money's a little tight then maybe look elsewhere.

• Stayed: March 2014
MercureAP, Guest Relations Manager at Mercure Melbourne Albert Park, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2014

Dear Ryanyoung89,

Thank you for your recent review of the Mercure Melbourne Albert Park.

It is wonderful that you experienced all our facilities, including the pool and gym during your stay.

We are pleased that you had an enjoyable stay with us and that “everything was perfect”. Your feedback is appreciated and will be shared with the team.

There are newer reviews for Mercure Melbourne Albert Park

Reviewed 15 April 2014

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
MercureAP, Guest Relations Manager at Mercure Melbourne Albert Park, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2014

Reviewed 9 April 2014

Located next to the Pullman, shares the same reception and lobby, it is the cheaper version of Pullman. The room is spacious and comfortable. The bathroom however needs a bit of renovating.

The lift takes forever. But all in all for the price is it fine.

• Stayed: February 2014
MercureAP, Guest Relations Manager at Mercure Melbourne Albert Park, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2014

Dear Thebudgetbeauty,

Thank you for your recent review of the Mercure Melbourne Albert Park. We are delighted that you found our rooms spacious and comfortable. Your comments regarding the bathroom and speed of the lift have been noted for our Maintenance team to review.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 9 April 2014

Loved staying here. The service was outstanding with very friendly and efficient staff. The room was immaculate and had a super comfy king size bed. The bathroom was a good size with a decent shower. This hotel meets up to the usual excellent standards of Mercure hotels. I would highly recommend staying here as it is ideally located close to both the CBD and St Kilda and in a very pretty area.

• Stayed: April 2014

Dear Felicity W,

Just as you love staying here, we love having you stay here. Thank you for your review and for recognising our staff for their friendliness and efficiency. They will be delighted to learn of your comments.

Thank you for your recommendation to other travellers, we hope to welcome you back again soon!

Reviewed 8 April 2014

I stayed here from 4 April until 7 April.

Star rating: In my experience the hotel is a 3.5 star property with Holiday Inn style rooms. Good beds, a good range of TV channels, tea & coffee making facilities and a fridge. And windows do OPEN!

Getting there: If you have just an overnight bag you can take a tram from the city (the 3, 5, 6, 16, 64 or 67) and alight on St Kilda Road at Stop #27. Get off the tram and cross the road towards Albert Park. It is a 7 min walk to the hotel. Enter where it says PULLMAN CONFERENCE CENTRE (the back of the building, way before you see the front of the building and the main entrance) and you will halve your walking time.

Otherwise it is a $14 taxi ride from Southern Cross Station. This is the interchange where the airport bus, called “SKYBUS” arrives. This bus from Melbourne’s Tullamarine Airport costs $18 one-way or $30 round trip.

Location: If your intended hotel stay is for a holiday, then proximity to the city or the beach or fun parks is crucial.

The tram stop on St Kilda Road (at High Street, also called “Stop 27”) is about as convenient a location you can find given St Kilda Road is the main traffic artery of Melbourne giving you easy access to both the CBD (10-15 mins away) and the south eastern suburbs of St Kilda (beachside), South Yarra and Prahan, amongst others.

Before you leave the hotel for the tram remember you need a prepaid card to use the tram called a MYKI which is sold by the hotel for $14 in a Visitor Pack. The card costs $6 and you get $8 of travel. That is enough for one-day travel in Zone 1. You can recharge the card at tram stops. The Visitor Pack sold by the hotel has all the details including a map of the trams and an explanation of the Zones. For most tourists, Zone 1 is sufficient. For more information see

There are no shops or cafés near the hotel. You can either take a short tram ride from the hotel or walk through the adjacent Albert Park (20 min) to Fitzroy Street in St Kilda where restaurants, bars and cafés not to mention a cinema and a supermarket are located.

If you like your coffee as much as I do then take the #16 tram to St Kilda (this is on the side furthest from the hotel as you walk to the tram from the hotel) and alight just before the beach on Fitzroy Street at stop 135. This is an 8 min tram ride. Walk 5 mins to Acland Street. About 150 meters into the road on the left you will see a warehouse like café called Il Forniao, which opens at 7:30am. It is just after the Prince of Wales hotel. See

One tip: if you like coffee please do not order the standard size. This costs $3.80 and is small. Maybe a small wine glass full. Instead order a large size coffee. This costs around $4.30 or $.4.80 I cannot recall. And this option is NOT listed on the menu. i suppose it is meant for insiders. It is 3x as large and enough to satisfy the coffee addict in you.

Amenities: The hotel has a pool and a gym, but as I didn’t try either I cannot comment. Wifi is available in the room but is both costly, about $24 per day and is very slow. I complained about the speed, but nothing was done even though a pretty staff member did say she will 'immediately' join me in the room to investigate.

I did not try the breakfast, but heard from a neighbouring room that it is expensive.

Value: I booked on a third party site for $120 per night, room only. At that price the hotel represents good value.

Gripes: Just one. I returned to my room at 8:45pm on Saturday and found the room was not cleaned.

I was very angry as I expected my partner to join me later that night. But what would she think looking at such a mess?

I complained to the front desk. And having had many problems in other hotels in the past, I made it painstakingly clear what I expected. I was firm but very polite when I requested the room be made up in the next three hours, as I was going out. I also asked for reasonable, not ridiculous, compensation. I suggested free wifi for my last two 2 days.

Given my politeness, the staff member, Andrew was willing to help me. I made it clear that even though I was unhappy, OF COURSE he, Andrew, was not responsible for the unclean room.

Of course problems come up in hotels. The secret to resolving them and keeping customers happy is having a sympathetic member of staff do his or her best to fix the problem. I still don’t know if Andrew was the manager on duty or just one of the team members, but I do know he fixed the problem to my satisfaction.

All in all this isn’t the Four Seasons, but then neither is the price. For value for money I’d give it a 8 out of 10.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank JA-From-Sydney

Dear JA-From-Sydney,

Thank you for your recent review of the Mercure Melbourne Albert Park. We are delighted that you have taken the time and put so much thought into your review. I’m sure other travellers, will be appreciative of your attention to detail.

I do apologise for the downfall of your room not being serviced in a timely manner, and ampleased that Andrew was able to resolve the issue swiftly for you.

Thank you for taking the time to share your observations with us. We hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 7 April 2014

Location is great if you want to spend the night at St Kilda. The entrance to the hotel looked very inviting but the rooms did not meet expectations, the bed was an uncomfortable double bed, the bathroom terribly old and run down, we were excited to be getting a spa bath in our room but neither of us used it, it was the tiniest spa bath we had ever seen and looked very uncomfortable. The staff were friendly and helpful but unfortunately it didn't make up for the disappointment of the room.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Wynita B,

Thank you for your recent review. I agree our hotel is perfectly located for a night out in St Kilda.
I am pleased that you found our staff friendly and helpful during your stay. Our staff pride themselves on making all of our guests feel welcome.

I was disappointed to learn that the room did not meet your expectations on this occasion but hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back for a more memorable stay in the future.

Reviewed 5 April 2014

We stayed one night (29 March 2014). Room was very hot when we entered, heating turned up to full and it took about an hour to reach a comfortable temperature. The room was very clean, good bathroom facilities, comfortable QS bed. Good TV etc. Didn't have time to check out the other "out of room" facilities. Guy that brought our bag up refused a tip, not sure if that hotel policy?
Room was very quiet.
Only complaint - Mini bar prices are over the top.

Room Tip: The hotel is only 100 metres from a tram stop on St Kilda Road which has trams coming along on regul...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
MercureAP, Guest Relations Manager at Mercure Melbourne Albert Park, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2014

Dear Family_Traveller_...

Thank you for your recent review of the Mercure Melbourne Albert Park. We are pleased that you enjoyed your one night stay with us and that you found our room clean and comfortable.

Our Housekeeping team have been advised of your comments regarding the temperature of the room on arrival, I appreciate you bringing this to my attention.

We hope to welcome you back in the near future.