“Great place to stay”
Review of Oaks On William

Oaks On William
Ranked #45 of 160 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

We stepped off the train at flagstaff station, crossed the road and where at the hotel. Greated by very warm staff, we were very impressed with the new and clean apartment. Recommend paying for a garden view, as the lights at night were spectacular. The free city tram is just around the corner and the markets where you can buy fresh food are very close. We will stay here again.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Catherine P
Hotel Manager W, Manager at Oaks On William, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2014

Thank you for posting your kind review. I am delighted to read that you found the hotel location convenient and standard of service and accommodation very impressive. We look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

There are newer reviews for Oaks On William

Reviewed 19 July 2014

Stayed in this hotel in a trip to Melbourne with my girlfriend. Was our first time staying in the CBD and the staff were fantastic, friendly, knowledgeable and weren't afraid to go out of their way. Room was quiet and clean, well equipped with a kitchen and reasonably large living area! Positive that reception was manned all ours of the night and the gymnasium facilities were excellent.

The price was fantastic for the quality of the stay yet one enormous negative is the PRE-PAID BOND.

As I arrived I was informed that I had to pay a bond of 150 dollars which would be returned after checkout. This is the first hotel I have ever visited that makes you pay a bond, usually a credit card is kept on file and charged if their is damage to the room etc.

This was enormously inconvenient as my partner and I are both students and are living on limited incomes. Having managed a "required" amount of funding for our weekend away this instantly threw us out of routine and actually forced us to miss some of our planned activities (such as Melbourne aquariam and a visit to the sky deck) as the funds were taken only to be returned after we left.

As it was a first time trip and something we both saved for - it was really a spoiler and has greatly put me off staying at this hotel again. It appears to the client a vast level of mistrust is placed in the hotels clients as the hotel needs to strip people of their money and hold for ransom - in the assumption that a young couple such as my partner and I would trash and upheave our room showing little respect.

I cannot explicate enough how offensive this was to have this mistrust placed so blatantly in the patrons.

Still not seeing a return of the money, there will certainly be a phone call made by Wednesday to retrieve the funds and I hope the owner/manager is well aware of how dissatisfied a client I am - particularly after how fantastic the establishment was overall.

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Butterzbeb

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us. I am pleased to read that you found the service from our staff fantastic and our apartments well appointed. I am however disappointed that the pre-authorisation process was not communicated to you prior to arrival. I would truly appreciate if you could contact me directly to identify were the communication was missed and so that I can ensure that any funds held have been duly released. I look forward to hearing from you soon and trust that I will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon. hmwillilam@theoaksgroup.com.au

Reviewed 18 July 2014

We stayed at Oaks on William recently for the second time and unfortunately cannot give it quite the same glowing report as we did during our first visit. We stayed for 7 days this time and despite the fact we specifically requested a quiet room we found ourselves in a room right next to the lifts!

We returned late on Saturday afternoon to discover there were no parking spots available apart from disabled spots which we prefer not to park in as neither of us have a disability. We eventually found a park, which we later discovered was not in the Oaks designated car park. This is despite the fact nobody at Oaks ever provided any instructions on where we should or should not park. We were settled in for the evening when we received a call from a call from a very rude and abrupt reception desk staff member who demanded we move our car immediately! This is despite the fact that we advised the staff member that we had been drinking and really should not be driving a vehicle.

The hotel is so busy these days that rooms are not serviced on the weekend, unless being vacated, until very late in the afternoon. When all is weighed up, we will definitely not be returning for a third visit!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ContentedTraveller51

It is always pleasing to hear from a returning guest, although I am disappointed to read that your recent visit was not as pleasant as your first stay with us. There are always areas for improvement and through feedback such as yours we can ensure that our staff are prepared to again deliver on the great service you experienced on your first stay with us. It would be my pleasure to have the opportunity to welcome you back again in the very near future.

Reviewed 17 July 2014

Location : On the edge of the heart of the Melbourne CBD. Near the corner of William and La Trobe streets which is more of a corporate / legal area of town. About 8 minutes walk to areas with lots of restaurant and shopping choices. Directly opposite Flagstaff underground station (closed on week-ends). Easy transport access major transport hubs. About 5 minutes walk from the Skybus terminal.

Amenity : I had a studio apartment on the 10th floor looking towards West Gate Bridge. Great view. Clean, comfortable, new, everything worked properly. Great bed with big, good quality pillows. Good lighting options. Floor to ceiling, room wide windows for the view. Sliding glass door onto a balcony. Two burner cooker and everything you'd need to cook a meal if you want to. Big fridge. Plenty of glassware and cups. Knives. Teapot. They've thought about it. Equally good for a shorter stay or if you wanted to set up a city base for a week or two and make some of your own meals.
Big flat screen with numerous pay channels as well as free to air. Nice bathroom. Hot strong rain shower.

Service : Friendly and personable reception staff and management. Helpful. Efficient. Daily service to the room.

Internet : The only thing I didn't like. 30 mins free access per day and then $5 for half an hour, $10 for 2 hours or $18 per day. And after 100Mb the speed is limited. So forget about watching movies or any quantity of videos on the net. Get with the program Oaks. Paying for internet in hotels is now not the norm by a long way. Most hotels, across the spectrum from five star to cheapies, provide free wi-fi.
Paying for wi-fi feels like being ripped off, no matter how good value the room price is. And why provide wi-fi for a fee and then slow it down after 100Mb. It sucked.

Food : No restaurant, but there is room service available. A few cafes in a 200 metre radius, but only two blocks walk to Little Bourke St, the Victoria Market and Elizabeth St. Plenty of options.

Value : My room was an upgrade for the view to $109 per night from $99. Excellent value for the quality of amenity and location. Would consider staying again. Everything was good except the paid wi-fi.

Room Tip: Higher floor looking towards West Gate bridge. More of an unblocked vista.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank davidgold

Thank you for posting your detailed review of Oaks on William. I am truly pleased to read such great feedback from a senior contributor of this forum. Your comments regarding the level of service you received from our staff and the standard of accommodation you enjoyed is most appreciated. For future bookings please call us directly for accommodation packages inclusive of Wi-Fi access. Look forward to seeing you at the hotel again soon.

Reviewed 16 July 2014

This place sits at the rear of the CBD just a few blocks from the vic markets. It is right on the city circle tram stop and handy to just about everywhere. We stayed in a park view apartment, which was spacious, had all the amenities we needed and was serviced daily to a good standard. The staff were friendly and helpful and check in and out were quick and fuss free. Would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: We were upgraded for an extra ten dollars per night, when booking online this option was going to co...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Fiona L

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us at Oaks on William. Your comments regarding our friendly staff and the standard of accommodation you enjoyed are truly appreciated. I look forward to welcoming you back again on your next visit to Melbourne.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

I stayed five nights in room 1818 (Studio with Park view). View of the Flagstaff garden and Melbourne night view from balcony was wonderful and can't be beat !
From airport to hotel, you can take Skybus ( www.skybus.com.au ) one way AUD18 and return AUD30. It's about 20mins from Melbourne airport to Melbourne City Southern Cross Station and 10mins walk to the hotel.
Hotel is close to trains and walking distance to Victoria Market (5min), Melbourne Central and Shopping Mall (10mins).
If you have a free time on Wednesday night, visit Luna1878 Winter Night Market ( http://www.qvm.com.au/event/luna-1878-2/ ) @ Victoria Market, you won't be disappointed.
Some complaints about 30 mins wifi time is not enough. I bought a Optus SIM card in the airport, cost me AUD2 per day with free data of 500MB per day.
Definitely i will be back again and again !

• Stayed: July 2014
4  Thank TeoSangsi

Thank you for your wonderful feedback. I am truly pleased to read that you found our hotel was ideally located and that our apartments offered exceptional views and comfort. I would be delighted to welcome you back again in the very near future.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

Overall I am comparing you guys with the Pegasus which is just afew meters down the road. I have been staying with them on a weekly basis for 2 months but switched over to you due to new corporate prefrences. I have to say in terms of room quality I would rate you as equal though I am not a fan of the shower curtain/ no cubicle shower. Also your shower water pressure is very low. Tap pressure is fine but shower is extremely low for some reason. In terms of parking its fine but it would be alot easier to provide patrons with a card or something so they can buzz themselves in ala Pegasus as it is very inconvenient to have to press the hotel button all the time. Lastly, wifi. Pegasus provides free wifi and a speedy connection at that while you guys want to charge 18 bucks? Note that over the last few months the Pegasus has been consistently cheaper than the Oaks and I don't see the Oaks product being that much better than the Pegasus.

Room Tip: Choose the corner rooms on the higher floors
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank jskf01

Thank you for posting your review. I value your feedback and appreciate the time taken to point out areas for improvement. All of your comments will be duly looked into to ensure that we can deliver an unbeatable guest experience. I would be delighted to have the opportunity to welcome you back again in the near future.