“Excellent Hotel”

Ranked #43 of 159 Hotels in Melbourne
Geelong, Australia
“Excellent Hotel”
Reviewed 22 August 2014

Stayed here in August 2014. Was easy to get to, about a 2 minute walk from Flagstaff station.. check in took less than five minutes. Had to use two different lifts to get to the 28th floor, but this was explained and a printed map from staff made it easy and no hassle.

Got a free upgrade to a park-view room, room was lovely and clean, good views however construction near the buildings around meant cranes blocked some view but not the hotels fault.
Had a fridge and milk/coffee etc was supplied, also dishwashing liquid and washing machine liquid was supplied which was good!

Tram stops right out the front of the hotel made getting around easy. Didn't use the wifi.

Check out took less than 1 minute. All the staff were great. One man on checkout couldnt find the hotels carpark and the staff literately left the hotel, went with him to his car and helped him find it which was so lovely of them!

Great hotel, would stay again :)

Room Tip: Choose one with a balcony :)
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Hotel Manager W, Manager at Oaks On William, responded to this review, 1 September 2014
Thank you for choosing to stay at Oaks on William. I am delighted to read that you found the service from our staff great and your apartment well equipped. The comfort of yopur own private balcony and the views overlooking the park are definitely a hit with our guests and I am glad you where also able to enjoy this. I look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (477)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 20 August 2014

Nice hotel, centre of city and easy enough to get to anywhere you need to go. I have stayed at Oaks hotels in Melbourne many times for work and havent really been disappointed. On first visit to the hotel here, I had a room on the 22nd floor and want advised on the process needed to get there. Need to swap elevators and needed a separate swipe tag to move further up the building. Came back down to ground, got the additional swipe the reception staff forgot to give me to move to the top levels and finally made it to my room. Room itself is nice, roomy with everything you could need - I do wish the free 30min wifi was extended to at least an hour so you can answer a few emails. Overall though, a nice place, like the other locations the Oaks has

Room Tip: Take a room with a balcony - excellent views
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Sammy T
Hotel Manager W, Manager at Oaks On William, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Thank you for posting your kind review. It is always a pleasure to hear from one of our valued guests. I am pleased to read that you found the hotel comfortable and well located. We are in the process of installing further directional signage within the building to make access to our brand new studio and one bedroom apartments easier. I look forward to having the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel again soon.
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 20 August 2014

After researching a few different places to stay (and looking at places we had previously stayed) the cheaper price and reviews drove us to trying Oaks on William. It was great! Our room (a studio park) was exactly as described, larger than expected with a balcony overlooking the park. Having a full size fridge and small kitchenette was convenient too! We didn't have any issues with room service (as I read in previous reviews) and found the hotel staff to be super friendly and approachable. Be mindful when booking that it is a little further out of the CBD - but still within walking distance to everywhere in about 10-20 minutes. The only thing I wasn't that impressed with (and seems to be common in Australia) is that there was very limited free wifi. Despite this, highly recommended!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for posting your kind review. I am pleased to read that you found our property exactly as described as well as larger than expected. All of our apartments are fully self contained and I am glad you where able to make full use of the in-room facilities. I look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you back again on your next visit to Melbourne.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 20 August 2014

We stayed in this Hotel for 4 nights in the beginning of February. We booked through Hotelclub and got a good deal. The Melbourne airport shuttle has dropped us in front of Raddison Flagstaff and Oaks is just 1 minute distance from it. We have requested for a quiet room beforehand. We are asked whether we prefer to take a garden side room, though we have decided not to go for it.

The room was clean, well sized and well equipped. The bathroom was also clean and modern. We got a good-sized balcony with this room. Staff were helpful and always ready to help.

The Hotel is situated near Queen Victoria Market and just opposite to Flagstaff Gardens. Also, just around corner there is a tram stop from where one can catch the free city circle tram. There are few cafes around the Hotel also.

The downside is although there are many small Cafes and restaurants around it, except the one at Radisson, all of them get closed by evening. So, if you need to get dinner, you need to walk to Elizabeth street (A good 10+10 minutes walk), which might be a bit of problem after a hard day. Also, if you need to go out with a group tour, the tour company will pick you before 7.30 a.m. and at that time no restaurants (except Raddison) start their day.

Apart from this, Oaks at William is a good modern well maintained Hotel and we have enjoyed it.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for posting your wonderful review of Oaks on William. I am delighted to read that you found our hotel clean, well sized and well equipped. Your comments regarding the friendly service you received from our staff is truly appreciated and has been passed on with thanks. You will be pleased to know the hotel offers room service should you need to stay in for a relaxing night. I look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon.
Olathe, Kansas
Reviewed 18 August 2014

After staying on St Kilda Road for years, I decided it was finally time to try someplace new, and in the CBD more or less. Price and location drove me to Oaks on William. I checked in and was directed to my Studio View room on the 22nd floor. However, getting to the 22nd floor isn't the easiest - you get on one elevator, go to floor 3A, get off, walk around the building to another corridor and get on another elevator for the 22nd floor. It seems as though this would be required for floor 20 and up.

The room itself was well appointed, with a small kitchen area, a small but functional bathroom, and a nice sitting area. I found the bed comfortable enough. My issue was the view...first, it had a balcony which was great. However, the website talks about the view of the city, when in fact I had a view of the park and not much else. I was quite disappointed, as I hoped to see the other buildings of Melbourne from my bed and balcony, and had paid extra for this.

WiFi is expensive at $18 per day, but was quick and reliable. Location is good - 10 minutes from Southern Cross Station, on the edge of the CBD, and about a 7 minute walk south of Swanston Street and the associated tram lines. Tram 55 does stop right by here, but that line may or may not be useful depending on where you need to be.

I would likely stay here again, but would not be dedicated to it. Being in the city certainly gave me many more food options that I am used to on St Kilda Road, so the area in general will draw me back...but not sure if the hotel will.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Zacharius
Hotel Manager W, Manager at Oaks On William, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. I am pleased to read that you found our apartments well appointed and functional. You will be pleased to know that directional signage to make access around the building easier is being installed as I write to you. We have up to four city view options available for our guests and although the park view happens to be the most popular we would gladly offer a city view apartment facing other buildings based on your request. I do hope we have the opportunity to tempt you back to Oaks on William again in the future and recommend contacting the hotel directly to ensure we are better able to meet your requests.
Queenstown, New Zealand
Reviewed 18 August 2014

We booked online from NZ for 9 nights. We were impressed with the hotel and reception staff on arrival and the room was great ........... very clean everything you need again impressed.
The first day we came back from a day out room hadn't been serviced so we thought maybe we left room to late. Hmm second day we come back after day out still room hadn't been serviced so we call reception to be told only one service on a 9 night stay that does not impress me. We were told to get replacement towels etc from reception but sorry I dont want to be going to reception every other day for essentials.
On check out I mentioned that I didnt find the room service very suitable and was told when you book online there is 2 prices and 1 offers and xtra service for a higher price. I have looked and can not find this option.
Overall the hotel is great for transport options and very clean if only staying short term, but long term seems to be a problem

Room Tip: Rooms looking over Flagstaff Gardens are great, in the evening the lights from the Big Wheel and cit...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for posting your kind review. I am pleased to read that you found our hotel and reception staff impressive. We pride ourselves on great service and I am glad you experienced this during your stay with us. Although the hotel provides daily housekeeping servicing certain promotional rates via third party websites offer extra discounts which limit service. I have asked our staff to ensure that this is explained on check-in so that in future you may have the option to include daily servicing. I look forward to having the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel again in the very near future.
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 17 August 2014

I stayed in room 1912 and I could not fault it. It was a studio apartment with kitchen and bathroom.

Everything was spotless and it was great to see a spacious, modern bathroom with a modern shower with a rainwater style shower head. The view from the balcony was spectacular.

The service from reception was outstanding. They went above and beyond to make my stay enjoyable.

There is no dedicated room service, however you can order some meals that are delivered from outside the hotel - this didn't worry me as it's Melbourne so really no need for room service at all. There was an adjoining cafe but I did not visit it. There were also other facilities - gym for example - but I did not see or use these.

I am a Perth girl but I used to live in Melbourne so was back to visit friends, shop and really just enjoy the beautiful city. I walked everywhere - approx. 4 blocks to Swanston Street. Overall I enjoyed the stay so much that I will be staying there for my next visit (approx. every 12 months).

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
Hotel Manager W, Manager at Oaks On William, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Thank you for posting your wonderful review. I am delighted to read that your experience at the hotel was most enjoyable. Your comments regarding the outstanding service you received from our reception staff has been passed on with thanks. I have also passed on your kind feedback regarding the cleanliness of your apartment to our housekeeping staff. We look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you back again on your next visit to Melbourne.