“Simple and nice...”

ibis Melbourne Swanston Street Hotel
Ranked #102 of 161 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Friendly and helpful staffs.
Room is small but its clean, tidy, and comfort.
Hotel facilities are shared (laundry, computer, drink water), located at ground floor, simple and nice.
Public parking is just in front the hotel, very convenience.

Room Tip: Try to book earlier, you may get a better price.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
NathanCopsey, General Manager at ibis Melbourne Swanston Street Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

Hi LoganWeng,

Thanks for your kind words. In regards to your room tip to "book earlier, you may get a better price" this is definitely the way to go!

Reviewed 8 June 2014

We stayed in this hotel at the end of May (23rd to 29th). We booked a few months ago and we found it to be a very good choce in expensive melbourne cbd. It worked out to be 75aud per night inclusive of tv, towels & amenities and wifi. This is for 2 adults and a child, so it VERY good value indeed.
The location is great, with the tram stop (Queensberry/Swanston st) diagonally across the hotel. We used the tram everywhere we went & found it very convenient. But take note, this isn't the free city circle tram. The free hotel transfer service from Southern Cross station drops you off at the building in front of the hotel.
The staff who greeted us on check-in was a pleasant young man as well as the lady who checked us out (even the cleaning staff were friendly). We only encountered one unhelpful front desk staff, and definitely, management must make sure ALL staff are helpful and friendly to all guests.
The room we were given was clean & spacious enough to fit 2 large suitcases and leave space for us to walk around. Toilet & shower were both clean.
The laundry room on the ground floor is heaven sent - $4 per wash & $1 per 20minutes of drying. As you can see from the pictures I included in this review, Tune hotel is new & clean.
This would be my 1st choice when we come back to melbourne

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank wandermum

Hi wandermum,

Thanks for your review. We encourage everyone to book early to get the best rates, sounds like you did exactly this!

Hope to see you again on your return to Melbourne.

Reviewed 7 June 2014

tram is just mins away ! you may purchase the Tram ticket at reception too. so convenient ! 1omins away from QV chinatown too ! Amazing experience in Melbourne, nice clean convenient hotel, a must go again !

Room Tip: all ! we stay at 528, its just so beautiful.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Hi kimlim,

Thanks for your review! Glad you had a 'cool' stay, that's definitely what we like to hear! You obviously enjoyed our fantastic location as well.

Hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 7 June 2014

I'm currently staying at the Melbourne Tune Hotel. The location is great, the staff member who checked me in was very friendly. I'd had a very long day and appreciated the attention. The room is decorated in my favourite colours. My only gripe is THERE'S NOWHERE TO PUT YOUR CLOTHES. I am staying for five nights and have no drawers or wardrobe. There is a rack with five coat hangers and that's it. In a hotel of this standard I would have thought that this was a basic consideration when building the hotel. I have looked at the other reviews here and no one else has complained about this major bungle. I have my clothes on the bed as I'm staying by myself. I just wonder why there's no storage. There's a whole alcove where I'm sure a wardrobe could have been included. Or even some shelving wouldn't have gone astray. Very strange to say the least.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo

Hi BigJ581,

Thanks for your kind words about our staff.

In reference to storage space, as our rooms aren't as big as others we have employed some space saving techniques in the room to help with storage. You have already mentioned the hangars on the wall. There is also plenty of room under the bed to fit your bag (or you can use the luggage rack provided). We also find the shelf above the bed is very handy to put any items on, they are out of the way up there.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

I had pre-purchased my booking with full appreciation for the core concept of Tune Hotel - you pay for only what you need. The room and the facilities are new, clean and modern - which was all great.

The biggest disappointment and reason for my review, however, is with the same bare minimum approach to the service of the reception. Taking initiative was a foreign concept. For example, prior to my arrival I had asked for advice on the way from the Southern Cross Station to Tune. A nameless person advised there would be free shuttle service by Sky Bus "depending on the time you arrive." I must admit, I was quite curt and bratty in my reply to this (which wasn't called for and for which I apologised!). It just pushed the wrong buttons because it seemed like such a lazy response and the failure to think on one's feet so apparent!

By virtue of being in the service industry at an allegedly decent establishment, I would have thought the reception would like to make the trip TO the hotel as easy as possible - not just for their sake but also for your experience of the visit. I don't think it was too demanding or over the top of me to have expected that the reception would take initiative by asking just that one further question about intended arrival time (especially since I had already purchased early check-in) and provide info on the operating hours for the hotel shuttle service. I would do this for my clients. It clearly was not that hard given the info was begrudgingly given when pushed.

The blank look I got when I asked about how to catch a tram and where the nearest tram stop was, was also astonishing. Again, no further questions were asked on where I was intending to head, then providing how I could get there etc. It may be a banal question and obvious to them since they work / live in Melbourne, but for a tourist/foreigner it would be reassuring to have assistance and reassurance. Not every city in the world has trams.

In an ideal world, obviously I would have figured these things out on my own and not have to have bothered the staff. But by circumstance, I simply had not had the time to and therefore reached out to the staff for their expertise. My annoyance emanate primarily from each time as if pulling teeth for everything and not understanding why certain service industry professionals cannot fathom the concept of trying to make your guests/clients' experience as easy as possible to the best of one's abilities.

I chose Tune over others that I had previously booked because of the good reviews, especially of the staff. Unfortunately, I did not receive that reputed level of service and instead something that really did sour my whole stay (beginning even before I had arrived in the country).

On the upside, Siobhan was lovely and another female staff member at reception seemed to be more joyful and helpful upon observation of her interactions with other guests. The lobby area is nicely kept and the location of the Hotel is fantastic. All that aside though, I doubt I will frequent another Tune Hotel anywhere unless I absolutely must.

ps. FYI on the hotel shuttle service for those that may arrive at dusk/cloak of the night - by verbatim courtesy of Cameron at reception in a concise, an almost underhanded F-You:

From skybus.com:
SkyBus Hotel Transfer Service operates:

§ Monday to Friday: 06:00 – 22.30
§ Saturday, Sunday: 07.30 – 17.30

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank gogo124
NathanCopsey, General Manager at ibis Melbourne Swanston Street Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

Hi gogo124,

Thanks for your review.

Sorry to hear you didnt receive the service you expected from some staff members. This is very strange to hear as all I seem to get is good feeback about them.

I hope you give us another chance to make your next stay enjoyable.

Many Thanks

Reviewed 2 June 2014

I stayed at Tune Hotels Melbourne for one night on business.

You should be aware (as I was) that when booking this hotel that the internet, TV, towels etc are 'add-ons' and must be purchased.

I found the staff to be friendly and helpful. The hotel is obviously very new and modern with a fantastic lobby.

The only suggestion for improvement I have is the addition of a mini-bar/fridge in the room (even if purchased as an 'add-on').

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
NathanCopsey, General Manager at ibis Melbourne Swanston Street Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Hi r4ryan,

Thanks for your review. Glad you enjoyed the stay and embraced the concept.

We don't have fridges in most of our properties, we save on electricity costs and effect on the environment, and pass these savings onto the guests. I have taken your feedback on board though.

Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

Booked a family room - more like a suite of 2 rooms - when travelling with friends. Perfect for our needs - very comfortable beds, excellent shower. Nothing extra that we were paying for and didn't use eg. mini bar. Great concept. Only gripe (I have noticed this in other customer comments) is the smoke smell creeping in from other customers' rooms - despite it being a non-smoking hotel. I did report this to the v.helpful reception staff who took my complaint seriously. I appreciate that there is only so much the staff can do when people decide to light up at midnight, however they need to look at putting some type of huge penalty charge on people who ignore the non-smoking policy, otherwise it's going to ruin it for everyone. Perhaps they need a smoke detector like they have in aeroplane toilets. However, I would certainly stay at the hotel again.

Room Tip: We were on Swanston St side and although the trams were a bit noisy, it didn't prevent me from s...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

HI Helen_in_Perth,

Thanks for your review. Our family rooms are very popular, glad you got to enjoy them.

I understand your comments re the smoking. We do our best to explain to our guests that it is a non smoking hotel, and we are continually thinking of ways to get this message across.