“Nice, but.....”

ibis Melbourne Swanston Street Hotel
Ranked #102 of 161 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed 18 July 2014

On arrival with a friend on Tuesday 15th around 2pm, we were greeted with not a so friendly face.
No happy, warm welcome from this girl....Just a quick run down, keys handed over and that was it :-(
Although the room we shared was amazingly clean, we were both surprised that there were no power points or bin in bathroom.
There were power points in the bedroom, but you couldn't see to do your hair from where they were positioned in regards to the mirror.
After some thought, we both wondered where the little info brochures were that give you info about the hotel and what's in the area. We really thought there would at least be a telephone that would connect to reception in case of an emergency?
I know this is a budget hotel that offers the basics, but a few little extras would be nice. Maybe some bottled water & some tissues?
There also seemed to be the sound of running water at night that was quite annoying.
Everytime we left or returned, there was no acknowledgement from staff behind the counter.
Our last night, we left to have dinner and whom we presume was the duty manager was sitting at the desk with a female employee pushed right up against him. This looked very unprofessional. Again....we were ignored.
Upon departure (this morning), we were finally greeted by a happy smiling face behind the counter....where was this employee when we arrived?
The upside is, the hotel is in a great location and is all in all, good value.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank MyOwnOpinion21
NathanCopsey, General Manager at ibis Melbourne Swanston Street Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Hi Claire S,

Thanks for your feedback. We are glad you enjoyed the majority of your stay.

I am sorry to hear about the staff not being as friendly as they usually are. I have shown all my staff your review, and reminded them that the entire reason we are here is to make the guest's stay as enjoyable as possible. I'll ensure this is worked on as they are usually fantastic at it!

Thanks again

Reviewed 15 July 2014

We made a reservation for 4 nights through booking.com and got the full package with everything we needed for our stay. I think this hotel is a real bargain and absolute find. While it is certainly not luxurious, it really has absolutely spotless rooms with comfy beds and an awesome shower! The location is perfect, and we walked everywhere! Wonderful stay!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Zethrop

Hi Zethrop,

Well what a wonderful review! Thanks for that. We're stoked you enjoyed your stay with at Tune Melbourne.

Hope to see you at one of our properties again soon.

Reviewed 12 July 2014

For the price, it's exceeded our expectation. I personally love the bed and the pillows. The only complaint I have during the stay is that the heater / aircon can't seem to be able to adjust to the temperature we want.

• Stayed: July 2014
NathanCopsey, General Manager at ibis Melbourne Swanston Street Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2014

Hi David W,

Thanks for your review. Glad you appreciated the value we offer at Tune! Sorry to hear about your heating, let us know at Reception next stay and we will get it sorted ASAP.

Thanks again and hope to see you soon.

Reviewed 10 July 2014

Stone's throw away from CBD with friendly staff and clean rooms. However do bear in mind it's after all a no-frills hotel so do bring what you need which it might not provide for. A minor issue was the inability to make hot drinks or instant cup noodles due to the lack of the boiler or a hot water dispenser.

Otherwise it is a brand new sleek hotel with the essentials you need!

• Stayed: July 2014
NathanCopsey, General Manager at ibis Melbourne Swanston Street Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2014

Hi Baoren T,

Thanks for your review and kind words about our staff.

In regards to the Hot Water dispenser we definitely do have one! It's in the guest laundry on the ground floor, next to our lounge and computers.

Thanks again and hope to see you again soon

Reviewed 9 July 2014

As same for all Tune hotels, the mattress comfort was superb, and the room and sheets were very tidy. This particular branch in Melbourne has a coin laundry room, and a spacious lounge to hangout (although I rarely saw any people using the lounge). Of course, for the relatively cheap hotel price keep in mind that it won't have your usual in room amenities like hot water kettle, proper closet. They do have an open hanging clothes rack, an electronic safe, a small writing desk, and a tv.

The location is a short walk away from most things you want to see, eat, buy stuff from (Flinders, Lygon), very near the Queen Victoria market.

We took the Skybus from Melbourne Tullamarine, and got on the free hotel shuttle service from South Central station. We only had to walk about 150 meters from the drop-off point to the hotel. If you decide to take the roundtrip fare, remember to ask the hotel receptionist to book you a pick-up as early as possible. (I tried booking 2 slots 2 hours before our intended checkout time and there were no available slots)

Compared to the other Tune hotels I've stayed at 2 different cities, Melbournes finally has a proper shower door!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
NathanCopsey, General Manager at ibis Melbourne Swanston Street Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

Hi Fatcharlie123,

Thanks so much for your reviews. Sounds like you have tried a few of our properties now! Glad you have checked out the Melbourne one (we're a little biased here but we think Melbourne's the best of the lot!)

The Skybus shuttle pick up is very popular, so you're advice to book the return trip as early as possible is very good.

Hope to see you at one of our properties again soon!

Reviewed 7 July 2014

I arrived at the hotel a few hours before check in and was outraged to learn that I had to pay to have my bag stored until I could check in. It was only $2.20 but in already paying for a room so to me it was just awful customer service. I did, however, have the option of paying a huge $22 to check in early. If the room was ready I don't see why they couldn't look after their paying customers and just let us into our room. The same goes for checking out late.

We then saw that you have to pay for towels but thankfully because we had booked through bookings.com it was covered, which was good because I was about to lose it. I'm sorry, but you just cannot call yourself a hotel and charge for towels. You are now a hostel.

We arrived at our room which was far smaller than the deceptive photos made it look and there was nothing in the room except a tv and lamp- no tea, coffee, kettle, fridge... etc. For the price I am paying for the room I would have expected at least a kettle.

The bed was comfy but unfortunately the walls are paper thin and you can hear every noise from adjacent rooms as loudly as if they were in your own, including the incredibly loud water pipes.

The location isn't bad- it's right next to a tram stop.

Overall, I was disappointed at the room size and I was very angry at having to pay for anything. It was appalling customer service.

1  Thank MimiBin
NathanCopsey, General Manager at ibis Melbourne Swanston Street Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Hi MimiBin,

Thanks for your review.

We are sorry to hear that you didn't understand the concept of our 'add on' hotel. We make no secret of it and are quite open about all extra charges. It appears you booked on booking.com and there is information on there about charges for early check in and luggage storage.

We are definitely not a hostel. Each room is fully equipped with en suite bathrooms, queen or twin single beds, power showers, safes and card key enabled doors. We are a 3 star limited service hotel.

Yes we do not have kettle's or tea/coffee making facilities in the room. This helps on 2 fronts, it saves on the extra costs for the guests and lessens our environmental footprint. Again, this is all information that we convey on all our websites.

We charge extra for these items as we give the choice to the guest whether they want to pay for them or not. If you'd rather wander around the city all day and check in at 2 then there is obviously no charge. Charging extra for certain items such as towels and wi - fi helps keeps our cost down and means we can offer you a cheaper base room rate.

Feel Free to contact myself at the hotel if you would like to discuss this further.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

Everything in this hotel is new and clean. It was excellent value (I think I averaged $80/night for 5 nights). However, remember that everything costs extra (towels, TV, Internet). I had these things included in my special (no breakfast).

You can catch a tram about 50m down the road that will take you to the centre of the city in about 5 minutes. Trams run along this road every 1-4 minutes until late at night. It's a couple of blocks over from the Italian restaurants along Lygon St.

My only complaint was that the air-conditioner temperature control was broken and it kept the room at about 24C. This is a nice temperature but it means that you have to take off layers of clothes (it was about 12C max outside when I stayed). They offered to move me to another room but I decided it was too much trouble to move. As compensation they gave me free storage of my luggage after checkout (normally charge a fee).

Overall, the hotel was very good value for the price.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Robert G

Hi Robert G,

Thanks so much for your review. Glad you enjoyed the value we offer!

Sorry to hear about the air con, This was noted by our Front Desk Team and has been rectified.

Hope to see you again soon