“Great Location”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Melbourne
“Great Location”
Reviewed 23 November 2013

A friend and i stayed here 1 month after it opened and had a 2 bedroom apartment with a view over the water. What a fabulous place. Across the road from Etihad Stadium and tram stop also close to get you to the city centre. Southern cross station a 5 minute walk too. Ask for a water view if available. Hotel is only 6 storeys. Really comfortable.

Room Tip: 2 bedroom overlooking water. Room's ending in 04 is a good location in the building, we had 504
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Mark R, General Manager at The Sebel Melbourne Docklands, responded to this review, 27 November 2013
Dear Lancartea,

Thankyou for your complimentary comments on your recent stay. It is always pleasing to receive comments such as this. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and the magnificent waterviews we have available. Look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Mark

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Albury, Australia
Reviewed 20 November 2013

I stayed for 3 days in a one bedroom unit on the first floor, it was neat and compact but I would have liked the bedroom to be linked to the bathroom.
the amenities in the room, pool, spa and lounge are first class however staff need to be briefed on giving a full property rundown on check-in or their should be a compendium in the room we were pretty well left to working out the property ourselves. staff were not overly friendly and one female staff member replied, when we asked about parking on check-in - I have 18 properties I manage here how do you expect me to know what you require - very rude!
overall though, I would give it another go as I'm sure they are stilling ironing out their problems and it is a lovely property, however as an accor advantage plus member I would have liked to be treated better

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Dear Kelkad72,

Thankyou for your positive comments regarding the room and our wonderful facilities. I am extremely disappointed in your comments regarding our staff, I will be addressing this personally with those concerned. I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future to restore your faith in our property.

Canberra, Australia

Very new hotel.

Pleasant but occasionally clueless staff at check-in. Had little-to-no understanding of accor membership and status levels. Additionally, no information provided at check-in as to the hotels facilities etc. Further, there was no assistance with luggage or any of the traditional services you would associate with a 5-star hotel.

Certainly not worth the self-assigned 5 star rating. There are no dining facilities, no room service, no bar and the amenities and room cleaning are not up to scratch.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank RTMH
Mark R, General Manager at The Sebel Melbourne Docklands, responded to this review, 20 November 2013
Dear RTMH,

I was disappointed to read your comments regarding your check-in and room cleaning and have picked these points up with our team. I am pleased to let you know that we will be offering room service and other food and beverage options in the new year upon the completion of our onsite restaurant. Until then we are able to offer charge back facilities at a number of the Docklands fabulous waterfront restaurants and cafes.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 18 November 2013

I stayed in a 1 bedroom suite which was excellent, like a brand new apartment - full kitchen, large sofa, TV with foxtel, another TV in the bedroom, balcony. Other parts of the hotel where a bit strange. Great pool and gym, but not accessible from the reception! You had to go out and back in another entrance, or take a different lift. No documentation anywhere to explain the facilities, TVs didn't work in the gym because there was no signal. No vending machines. Got great potential but still needs some work.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Dear slackbloke,

Thankyou for your review, I appreciate your comments regarding the room and have taken on board your comments regarding the access to the gym and have already arranged additional signage to better direct our guests. I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future to see these changes.

Regards,

Canberra, Australia
Reviewed 18 November 2013

This hotel is an absolute disappointment. The only reason that we booked this hotel was due to their “opening special” which meant rooms were half price. Had they not been on special I would have been even more greatly disappointed. Does that mean that you should receive less than standard service and misrepresented hotel rooms? I don’t think so.

We had an early flight into Melbourne and were only staying in Docklands due to a family function in the area. Attending the front counter at around 8.30am, we advised that we were there to “check-in”. We knew that the room was unlikely to be available and was hoping to store luggage until later in the day. The response we got from the young bloke on the reception – “geez, you’re early aren’t you?!”…. he then went on to say that he would call when the room was available (this never occurred either).

Upon returning to reception at approximately 4.30pm after the midday function, we were greeted with an even ruder staff member (female – did not catch her name) who did not even afford any eye contact. The service provided was absolutely appalling and by far below the standard of what you would expect at a so-called five star establishment. And remembering, we were on an ”opening special” which you would think would be trying to entice us back again in the future by way of exceptional service and the rest. This couldn’t be further from the truth.

We were issued with keys to apartment 108 – first floor… (of which there are six levels). In the attached photo, the confirmation we received from Accor was for ”stunning marina/harbour views”. This never eventuated (as you can see in the attached photos showing the view from both the lounge room and bedroom). We were extremely disappointed and rang down to reception to discuss but after five minutes of the phone ringing and no-one answering, we went down to speak with the staff. Unfortunately there was a large queue of people so we didn’t bother waiting to speak with them. We knew the hotel was booked out on the Saturday night anyway and thus there would have been nothing they could do. On further research, I would suggest that we were allocated the (cheaper rate) 1 bedroom deluxe which does not feature the “stunning marina/harbour views”.

There was no daily servicing of the room – apparently the servicing is only once every seven days for longer stays. This was not advised at check-in and only discovered by my own research on their website. The apartment itself was pretty much brand new but awkward in its design. The bedroom (which was incredibly tiny with a king bed in it – you could hardly make your way to the far side of the bed) was disconnected from the bathroom – you had to traipse through the lounge room and kitchen to get to it.

I am not sure which review this should be posted on as I think the Sebel has amalgamated with the Grand Mercure Docklands (?). In any case, this review is posted under both listings and I have sent it direct to Accor for their information. I know the Sebel is not the top brand of the Accor Group however I expected an awful lot more than what we received. I would never recommend it to anyone and I am considering my future accommodation arrangements at Accor establishments.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Steve8010
Dear Steve 8010,

Thankyou for taking the time to detail your recent stay with us. I am extremely disappointed to read the service you received and I have addressed this with our team. I have contacted you directly offline and look forward to your response and the opportunity to discuss this with you further.

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 29 October 2013 via mobile

Brand new suite apartments...I think I was the first guest to stay in my room! Very funky furnishings & super comfortable bed. Fully self contained with everything you need. Could benefit from offering guidance on where to get supplies or offer breakfast packs.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Rebecca W
Dear BecW68,

Thankyou for your review. I am pleased that you enjoyed our brand new apartments and the design of the room. Thankyou for your constructive comments regarding supplies. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Regards,