“Incredible personalised service - I'll be back”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Langham

The Langham
Ranked #5 of 158 Hotels in Melbourne
GreenLeadersSilver level
Sydney, Australia
“Incredible personalised service - I'll be back”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2011

I stayed at the Langham twice in August 2011 for business purposes. I'd stayed there previously and have loved the location, the convenient and the elegance and quiet sophistication of the hotel.

On returning in August 2011, I was even more impressed with the Langham staff delivering two memorable experiences. The most memorable experiences were being greeted at reception by Fabien who was genuinely interested in how my day was, the efficiency, friendliness and in depth knowledge of Peter at concierge who was able to make me a dinner reservation on short notice and exactly what I'd requested, and the speed with which the Langham responded to feedback. I'd provided feedback in my first stay a week prior to my second visit, and the feedback I'd provided via the in-room feedback cards of how the experience could be further personalised was acted on within the week. Very impressive. I would recommend the Langham to anyone who wanted a lovely stay.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank Cass_F09

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,372)
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2011

Firstly let me say that the Langham is a beautiful and elegant hotel, and one of the finest in Melbourne. It is a frequent choice for weddings and high-end visitors and offers a lot of excellent services.
We actually stayed there 17 years ago for our honeymoon (when it was the Sheraton).
We recently booked a 'teddy bear' package room as a couple's get-away one weekend.
While the hotel is still beautiful in the common areas and in a great location, I couldn't have been more disappointed with our room or experience.
I should clarify that the 'teddy bear' package simply includes a little teddy bear and some chocolates. We checked in & got to our 'river view room'.
We were allocated a room (1115) on one of the lower floors (11) and could see a glimpse of the river if you turned 45 degrees while standing next to the window - so I guess technically, it was a 'river view'.
However, there was no teddy bear or chocolates. So I figured that they'd bring it up later - a bit disappointing since you expect not just a teddy bear, but an 'experience' of having a little surprise for my wife on the bed when we get there.
We settled in the room, which was very stuffy and after a while we detected that 'old stale smoke' smell from cigarettes. We turned on the fan and air-con, but this didn't help. We ended up propping the door open to the hallway since the air there was fresh and cool. We freshened up and relaxed in the room for a few hours - still no teddy bear.
During this time we noticed a few little things, that while are forgivable in themselves, you certainly don't expect in a hotel that charges over $400 per night. There was a cigarette burn mark on the nightstand. The radio in the bathroom didn't work. The ipod dock on the radio didn't work. One of the lamps didn't work.
My wife and I went out for the evening for dinner and a movie, and came back late. I was expecting that this would be a nice time for the teddy bear surprise.
No teddy bear!
I called down to the front desk to ask for this bloody teddy bear at this point.
I was told that all the teddy bears were locked up and the only person with the key wouldn't be back until morning!
So we slept in our very stuffy room (not willing to keep the door propped open over night.)
Breakfast was included in the morning in their buffet. We got to the buffet more than an hour before service was finished to find a 20 person line to get seated. It was clear that the staff were overwhelmed and not coping with the number of people – which I don’t really understand as they should be pretty able to gauge the number of people at the hotel. While breakfast was good quality, the long lines detracted from the experience.
Also, getting coffee was a real problem. When we ordered our cappuccinos we were warned that it might take a while (did I mention they were overwhelmed), and offered drip coffee as an option while we waited for these. We accepted this, which was a good thing since our cappuccinos were forgotten in the staff memories shortly after.
We only stayed the one night, and checked out a little while after breakfast after wlaking around Southbank a bit. At checkout I asked that the ‘’teddy bear’ be taken off the bill as we never received it, but I was told that they ‘couldn’t do that’. (BS) To be fair they offered me the teddy bear on checkout, but I declined. My reasoning was that I wanted the ‘teddy bear experience’ as a nice surprise to my wife. Getting a teddy bear at check out? What for? To remind us of a fairly ordinary stay?
I wonder if our experience was because we booked through expedia and were given a small discount off their rack rate.
Later that day the Langham called me at home to confirm my address so that they could mail the elusive teddy bear to us. At that stage, I was over it and found it easiest to simply comply – after all I had paid for this teddy bear in dollars and frustration.
Yesterday the teddy bear arrived. It had been stuffed into an old beat up kettle box that must have been lying around. (All class, Langham) It was accompanied by a letter thanking us for our visit and hoping we return soon. It’s a lovely teddy bear. I don’t think I can afford another one any time soon.
I guess if you pick this hotel, make sure they don’t stick you into a crap room like they did to us. Oh, and get the teddy up front.
You’d think that since they knew we were locals they’d have tried to treat us a little better. The irony is that as an executive for one of the world’s largest consulting firms, they won’t be at the top of my list for clients, associates or meetings.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Crockly
DavidLM_LanghamMelb, Guest Relations Manager at The Langham, responded to this review, 30 August 2011
Dear Crockly.
Thank you for taking the time to write a review.
We do sincerely apologise for the disappointment you experienced during your recent stay at the hotel. We will address the shortcomings that you have highlighted about your room with the relevant departments and rectify them. Our Teddy Bears are delivered at turn down service in the evening and on that day we were unable to do so as there was a Do Not Disturb sign placed on the door.
We do value every guest booking regardless of the manner in which it is booked and we can assure you that we aim to deliver outstanding service at all times as can be noted in our many comments on this forum. We do trust any future visits will result in more positive memories.
David Landis-Morse
Guest Services Manager
England, U.K
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2011

We recently stayed at the Langham with my parents for 4 nights. We booked river view rooms which we recieved next to one another.

We arrived at the hotel by hire car and were greeted by the very friendly door men and porters. We had arrived before the stated check in time so only one of our rooms was ready (my parents could have checked into another room, but the room next to ours was vacant but still being cleaned) but the check in staff brought the room key up to my room as soon as my parents room was ready. The rooms were well appointed as we recieved one of the renovated rooms. The only slight down side was that you could clearly hear the renovations being done throug out the stay, it was not too loud but perhaps a mention of this could have been made at check in. The location of the hotel is very good as it is within easy reach of all the attractions. We enjoyed being the quieter side of the river.

Breakfast was included in our room rate at this hotel and was very good. One of the few slight negatives we felt was that service was a little slow in the restaurant, we were often seated for a little while before being offered drinks. The selection at breakfast was very good, cooked options, exotic fruit, pasteries and a good selection of gluten free options.

The staff at the hotel were always very friendly, they are obviously instructed to make small talk when with guests in the lifts etc, but this was a nice touch. The conceierge and bell desk were also very helpful, giving directions to places, booking taxis etc. The only other negative that we had was that as part of our package booked through the fine hotels programme we were to be given a complimentary afternoon tea which was booked for us. However when we came to check out this had been charged to our room, after a discussion with the check in staff though this charge was removed.

Overall we had a very nice stay and if we were to visit Melbourne again we would probably choose to stay here again.

Room Tip: Book a river view room
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2011

We really enjoyed The Langham. The cost of breakfast was the only negative. For a couple, it costs $80 and there isn't a cheaper option. There are lots of cafes within two minutes walk that charge $15 for bacon and eggs. We would have preferred to eat at the Motel because we had an early start. Having to find somewhere that opened early and then go elsewhere was a bit of pain.

Otherwise, the room was nice and the staff pleasant.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank nathan_b_a
Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2011

This is the second time at The Langham and once again, it was fantastic. Our bed was super-comfortable, the room was very clean and well laid out and the staff were very helpful. Room service food quality and presentation was excellent. A perfect location with Southbank restuarants and the movies at Crown within walking distance. Federation square and the main shopping district is also only a short walk. The spa was relaxing and clean and the massage was amazing.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the Yarra are preferable to the rooms looking straight into the IBM offices next d...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank importantinfo
Bangkok, Thailand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2011

I have never had to make so many verbal complaints at any hotel but The Langham. On arrival, we were greeted warmly by the doorman and friendly porters. Front desk staff did their job adequately but did not give the impression of genuine welcome.

The first room we stayed in was on the 17th floor and has not been renovated. The decor was tired and rather tacky. There are limited number of power outlets and only one power adapter was provided (difficult to find as it was placed in the minibar). Big surprise on the first morning after as we were woken up to the noises of drills and constructions in the rooms immediately surrounding us. This occurs at exactly 8 a.m. for three consecutive nights. On the fourth day, I've ran out of my tolerance and asked to be moved to another room. Our request was granted and we were put in the 24th floor in a renovated club room. The new room was much better with HD TV and an iPod dock, a temperature-controlled thermostat (in the older rooms, you can only specify hot or cold).

As standard with most five star hotels, free bottled water should be provided when you first enter your room. In my case, there were none and neither was there a fruit basket. To my dismay, we were tricked into opening a bottle of expensive Norweigian VOSS mineral water thinking it was provided for free as it was the only water bottle on the counter. It should have been placed in the minibar in a place more concealed than the counter top. Avoid this by waiting until you get a turn down service which they will provide you with two small bottles of water. Do not drink the "one and only" water bottle which you will see on the counter top as you enter your room for the first time. Or you will be charged without consent like I was!

Breakfast at the Melba restaurant was amazing. One of the best buffet breakfast spreads I have ever been to. Fresh strawberries, chocolate fountain and exotic fruits etc. Service at breakfast was generally good except on the weekends when it gets real packed and you have to queue (for no more than 5 mins) to be seated. Overall, I loved the breakfast at The Langham and can highly recommend it.

On the night before check-out I have had a terrible moment with a gentlemen at the front desk regarding the valet parking charge (a horrendous, rip-off, excessive AU$50 a day charge). After a full-day trip on the Great Ocean Road, I returned to the hotel with an Avis car and asked the doorman whether I can park for free at the hotel or should I have parked at a car park nearby. The answer from the (confused?) elder gentle doorman was "please give me your key". So I interpreted his response as the parking at the hotel would be complimentary. For a moment I thought, what a nice hotel giving their guest free valet parking. Hence that was not the case as I was going up in the lift back to my room at 11:30pm looking forward to a long bath I saw on the valet ticket "a AU$50 charge". Very tired and angry for being deceived by the doorman, I went downstairs to the lobby level and was met by a very rude receptionist who spoke to a "duty-manger" and told me that they will waive a valet parking fee and that I should go get my car and park it somewhere else. So I did, and was told my a friendly valet lady who informed me I should not worry and can come back to collect the car the morning after.

Overall, my stay at The Langham was average. Good service from the porters (especially the from the elder lady), hose keeping staff and wonderful breakfast made up for the complete disappointment from the service I received from the front desk (esp. re: valet parking issue). The room at The Langham, even though renovated, still lacks behind the standards of proper luxury hotel chains like the Four Seasons and Hyatt.

Location-wise, I would rather have stayed on the other side of the river for convenience. Crossing the bridge and walking in the underpass to get to Flinders Street station is quite bothersome and tiring, especially when the weather is poor. Unless you are staying in a river view room at The Langham, I would suggest you stay in a hotel on the other side of the river (on Collins Street etc) or even consider staying at one of the Crown Hotels.

Will I be back, probably not. But is The Langham a good hotel, yes but not exceptional in my point of view.

Room Tip: ask for a renovated room or stay in a club floor
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Ben C
DavidLM_LanghamMelb, Guest Relations Manager at The Langham, responded to this review, 5 September 2011
Dear Skyrider.

Thank you for your review. We do apologise that you were not comfortable in your first room but pleased you enjoyed one of our Grand rooms. Please note that all of our bedrooms have IPOD IHOMES and 42 inch LCD TVs all screening high definition digital channels. We also provide complimentary water each evening when we provide bed turndown service. Our valet parking charges are consistent with other international hotels in Melbourne. We also have a number of hotel packages which include valet parking and are available on our website. Our positioning on the south bank of the Yarra river gives our hotel a renowned outlook back over the city. We hope you enjoy any future visits with us.
Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2011

Fabulous place, great service and quality. Strongly recommended.

Room Tip: Book a corner suite. Great views - MCG River etc...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled on business