“Excellent location, stunning views of city” 4 of 5 bubbles

The Langham, Melbourne
Ranked #5 of 158 Hotels in Melbourne
GreenLeadersSilver level
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
“Excellent location, stunning views of city”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2014

We stayed here for 8 nights in November 2013. The room was very comfortable, we had a view of The river, Flinders station and the CBD and we managed to take some fabulous photos from the room.
We were taking some trips out to the Mornington peninsula so being so close to Flinders was very handy. Our only complaints are the price of the breakfast, if you only fancy tea, orange and a pastry then it's very pricey, you are encouraged (by the pricing for the individual items) to go for the continental or the full buffet and end up spending 30 or 40 dollars which mounts up. I think this pricing is par for the course for the big name hotels and the current exchange rate with the pound didn't help either. We ended up popping next door to the small mall which had an excellent food court and buying coffee and a muffin, or a fruit cup. Much cheaper option. We also had dinner there a couple of times and the thai food was excellent.
Our other complaint was the internet availability. We were each allowed one hour free wifi but had to sit in the lobby to use it. We paid for one device to have access in the room a couple of days and found that we used up the data limit before our 24 hours was up. I feel that when you are paying a lot of money to stay in a hotel there should be free wifi available, in the room, sitting in the lobby and sending messages about what a lovely time you are having, is not fun. I understand having a data limit, but not a low limit especially when you have paid a daily rate.
These are two niggles but aside from that I loved the location of the hotel, the beds were very comfortable, there were good sized mugs in the room and we got free bottled water beside our beds each night which was handy. The service in the hotel was good and the reception people and the concierge were always very helpful. The mall next door provides the cheaper breakfast and free internet also so the combination worked well.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,357)
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2014

My family and I stayed at The Langham on 25th of December for a Christmas treat. We had a standard twin room, which was absolutely lovely. Couldn't get over the size of the bathroom! The hotel oozes old world European charm, we loved the furnishings! The turn down service and amenities were some of the best I have seen. Made you feel right at home and to top it off, all staff we came across were exceptional!

We dined in Melba for Christmas Dinner and it was a foodies heaven! The buffet's chocolate fountain a huge highlight. Our waiter/host, I think his name was Ken, was a pure delight and made our night!!!

Overall, can't wait to go back to The Langham! Clean, comfy, classy!

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Mehul D, Manager at The Langham, Melbourne, responded to this review, 4 January 2014
Thank you for posting your review on trip advisor. We are pleased to read that you enjoyed your recent stay at The Langham. Also, thank you for choosing us and giving us the opportunity to be a part of your Christmas celebrations. It has certainly been a great pleasure looking after you over the festive season. Entire Langham Family wishes you a healthy and prosperous new year and look foward in welcoming you for your future stays.
Safety Beach, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2014

Perfectly situated hotel that met all our needs. Proximity to restaurants and shopping fantastic. The room was very comfortable and the bed was luxurious. Our package included complimentary champagne in the Aria Lounge on arrival and a delicious breakfast the following morning. Our stay was during the Christmas period and the outstanding decorations and light show added to the enjoyment of getting into the Christmas Spirit in the beautiful city of Melbourne. A fabulous way to spend a weekend.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Washington DC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2014

Stayed 4 nights at the langham for a conference sponsored by the University of Melbourne.

The rooms were immaculate, the service was exceptional, the restaurant and bar were great, the conference rooms were the right size and had good acoustics.

And I really want to stress - the service was amazing! Every call/need was attended to in a matter of minutes! Very expensive hotel, but they definitely work for it.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Camberley, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2014

We stayed here for 5 nights during late December for the Ashes test at the MCG. The facilities in the hotel are aging, it's expensive, the service is erratic and the management doesn't seem to be interested. We really liked the doormen and my teenage son rated the breakfast pretty high but otherwise it was an average experience at a premium price. Oh, and the beds were very comfortable.

Wireless should be fast, reliable and free in a five star hotel. It was expensive and erratic in the Langham. Breakfast was good but pricey. We spent very little time in the room as we were out at the cricket every day all day but we seemed to be forever crossing paths with the room maid and she was more interested in her own schedule than our convenience or privacy.

Our room was reasonably sized but had a poor view and was overlooked by the pool. The fitness room was reasonably well equipped, the spa pool was out of order and the pool dominated by families with children - from overheard conversations, not all of them actually staying in the hotel.

Management was slow to respond to a complaint about an item of clothing that went missing from our room. They kept referring to the 'lost property' and I had to keep reminding them that the room maid had almost certainly picked it up when changing the bedding and it had gone off to the laundry (never to be seen again).

As I write this, I've had a breezy phone message saying they haven't found it and I quote 'have a nice day'.

We won't be staying there again.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Mary_Dolson
Tasmania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2014

I took my Mother to the Langham for 2 nights as a early birthday present.. I had previously stayed at this hotel and loved it, so it was my first choice of accommodation. I splurged and we stayed in a club spa suite, which entitles you to the executive club lounge for breakfast/snacks/afternoon tea and canapes and drinks of a evening. Club lounge was great as was the staff. Our room was beautifully presented and very spacious. BUT first our lighting in the lounge area didn't go, called to get it fixed. All done. our power points would not go..another phone call. Couldn't be fixed, so they got us a extension cord that was plugged in a working powerpoint. Then our sound system in bathroom wouldn't go, rung to get it going. No couldn't be done and then in trying to fix that the disabled the tv in our bedroom. Bearing in mind this room was expensive. I filled in the comments form before i left, they didn't contact me. Next i get a email asking how we enjoyed our stay, ok filled that one out...still no contact and now another email asking us to rate it on tripadvisor .Why.. I had a bad stay, which i had told them twice. So wonder if they will leave a comment on this page or even contact me. Do they read the feedback forms. I could have stayed at the Crown Casino for the same price, but chose the Langham. I have been left feeling very disappointed

1 Thank ssshelley
jmclaughlingrm, Guest Relations Manager at The Langham, Melbourne, responded to this review, 9 January 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your valuable feedback. Please accept my apologies we did not meet your expectations on this occasion and allow you to relax and enjoy your stay. I apologize for the service and product issues you experienced during your stay with us, I will investigate and revert back to you directly.
Ibiza, Spain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2014

I had the opportunity to visit the Langham while I stayed in Melbourne and made use of their spa service.

Right from the moment you walk into the Langham you feel like you are immersed in opulence and european class.

The spa facilities specifically were fantastic. I had a full body massage and a facial. They have heaps of complimentary spa services like the 'shower ritual' that are the perfect way to spend your day before your treatment.

Would definitely visit here again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo