“Stay at the Langham!!!”

The Langham, Melbourne
Ranked #5 of 160 Hotels in Melbourne
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 29 January 2014

This hotel lives up to all expectations. We had the BEST service, with a SMILE. The location is great for walking Melbourne, and we walked to the Australian Open tennis venue. Wonderful rooms. The first rate concierge suggested just the right restaurant for my husband's birthday!! We definitely would return to the Langham.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for The Langham, Melbourne

Reviewed 29 January 2014

Outstanding, loved every minute of it!!!would do it again in a heart beat. no complaints at all, very enjoyable worth the money…perfect in all ways …thansk soooooooooooooomuch will do it again soon, cheers

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Quickbeds
Reviewed 29 January 2014

My family and I stayed at the Langham for about four nights. The hotel is visually very pleasing with a fountain feature as you enter the lobby. The rooms are more plush and decorative than other hotels. The Aria Bar and Lounge is good for a small snack or meal/drinks. We dined at the Melba restaurant one evening- some of us had the buffet and some ordered al carte. The buffet is extensive and quite good however not as impressive as The Langham Auckland's Eight restaurant (in my opinion). The location is good as it is easy to walk across the bridge to get to the city and visit the shops etc.
Would highly recommend this hotel for those who enjoy staying in beautiful accommodation.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family

Rooms:
Stayed in the one of the smaller rooms (smallest I think) but still reasonably spacious. Got all the essential stuff. However, I must warn that the hotel itself is very old and it is seriously due for a major renovation. The bathroom doesn't have a tub and bath curtains are used. Bad idea as water is always splashed out beyond the curtains. Other than these two issues (former quite significant to me), nothing major to report on.

Cleanliness:
Quite neat and tidy. However, I'm not a fan of such old decor and it always gives me the feeling that the room is dirty. Don't forget all pics on the hotel website have been photoshopped somewhat so do view them with a grain of salt.

Location:
Decent. Southgate, an area filled with pubs and restaurants, is literally a few steps away and so is Crown. I watched a lot of Australian Open tennis during my stay and I could just walk to Flinders Street station in a few minutes to catch the train. Cabbing to CBD is also a breeze.

Facilities:
The pool and fitness center are both decent. I love the fact that the gym is opened 24 hours. A big plus.

Service:
I must thank one of the staff, Jason, for helping me with my booking. Amex messed up mine totally with the wrong month and I didn't know until I was checking in. Jason was very helpful in finding me a room so a special thanks to help.

Value:
I can only say fair to this because again, I'm not a fan of old decor (saying this nicely). A BIG minus is the number of surcharges. I've traveled a bit for work and leisure and never have I experienced surcharge for room service. I'm not talking about late night delivery but regular hours. There's a A$7 for each order. Frankly I find it quite ridiculous. Another thing similar is the credit card surcharge. I've been to Melbourne once per year over the last three years and I don't remember previous hotels charging me 1.xx% on credit card settlement. Fine if it is market practice but if not, another ridiculous fee. I stayed for 4 nights and the total bill would come to A$1.8k so does the hotel expect a tourist to do direct debit on his/her foreign bank card or cash?! Quite farcical if you ask me.

Overall:
My stay was ok. Nothing spectacular. Big plus is Jason's help. However, Jason mentioned to me that he had to convince his boss at the time so I'm not sure if all staff are as nice as him. Been lazy with taking pics but what's available now are good enough. So overall would I stay at the Langham Melbourne again, unlikely. Hope this helps.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Paul D
Reviewed 28 January 2014

The Langham chain obviously knows about getting a good nights sleep. The beds here (as in Auckland) are simply superb. Combine that with great black-out curtains, and a nice sleep-in is guaranteed. Aside from the beds, there is the consistently excellent service, beautiful rooms, and a location that can't be beaten. Thank you. We will be back.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 January 2014

My husband and I went to Australia with our 3 adult children and son in law to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary. The holiday started at the Langham, the staff were great, and not one recommendation from the concierge was disappointing. The Christmas Lunch (the first ever away from home) was amazing. Our sons stated they had the best Sushi ever in their lives and the traditional turkey did not disappoint! The rooms were lovely and I was pleased to have paid extra for a river view. The hotel was ideally located for everything and the MCG was a short walk away (although we won't mention the cricket!). I would recommend the Langham to anyone!!!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 January 2014

Have high expectations generally and mostly stay at five star hotels around the globe- I must say this is up there in terms of quality. A fantastic stay, wonderful staff, service... Would stay again and highly recommend.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple