“Good standard hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Surrey, UK
“Good standard hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2014

Very helpful concierge. Good afternoon tea. Great breakfast, in terms of both choice and the room itself, overlooking the Yarra, Flinders Station and the city skyline - the best on our Australia trip. Good location, in the Southbank area, for restaurants. Our room overlooked the river and the CBD. All the usual amenities. Nothing special. Just a good luxury hotel room.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
jmclaughlingrm, Guest Relations Manager at The Langham, Melbourne, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
Thank you for posting your feedback on Trip Advisor. I am pleased you enjoyed our servcies as well as Afternoon Tea and the breakfast in Melba. Melba is truly an unforgettable dining experience with the varied and extensive offerings presented daily. I am glad you found our location within the vibrant Southgate precinct to your satisfaction. We hope to welcome you back again soon for another pleasant stay.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,357)
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Shanghai Region, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2014

The hotel is rightly regarded as a Melbourne institution. This was my first visit to the city and the hotel is in a great location to enjoy the south bank bar and restaurant scene but also an easy walk to the shopping areas, the MCG and the Rod Laver arena. My room was fine with a good view across the river. Buffet breakfast was good but didn't vary much over the five days of my stay. Service was excellent. Can't imagine a better downtown base though I expect there are cheaper places!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for the Valentine's weekend gate away. The hotel itself is pretty amazing from the moment you stepped your feet into the lobby. The whole decor is stunning with a live pianist playing romantic tunes. The high tea looks amazing but I did not take part personally. The room is fairly spacious & modern. I love the concept of having separate bath to the shower. The cleanliness of the room is exceptional. We also had lunch at the Melba Restaurant. Sad to say that we did not go for the buffet option that looks pretty amazing but instead we opted the ala carte menu & dear Lord I'm sorry that I didn't choose the buffet option! I ordered the seafood linguine that was a little bit of disappointing in terms of favour. The seafood itself was superb but the dish was bland. My other half had a $30 something dollar fish & chips that looked & tasted the same as $15 fish & chips that we normally have in Brisbane. Waiting staff weren't as attentive as other hotel restaurants that I've been too. Hotel location is pretty central with nice view of the river. Check in counter took more than 10 mins to complete (I'm not sure if that was due to lack of staff or other issues). Overall it is a great hotel with a let down of the services department. I would come back for the buffet next time we are in Melbourne. In terms of romance for couples, yes it's a big tick for me .

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
PLEASANTON
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2014

Spent 3 nights. Had a room on the 16th floor facing the Yarra River with great views of the city skyline. Very comfortable beds and nice layout of the room. Big bathroom with separate shower and tub. Nice pool area. Great lounge and bar area, Aria. Breakfast was fantastic. Huge assortment of foods and fresh fruit. The hotel is absolutely beautiful and the location is the best, right in the heart of the city and an easy walk to everything, catch a bus to the beach, etc.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a good view of the river and skyline.
1 Thank CHARLES B
Perth, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2014

I am a regular visitor to the Langham Melbourne staying in their Club Rooms every time. I stayed earlier this week for a couple of nights and thought I would highlight a couple of small but important issues that occurred. I booked in and was given my key to my club corner room, or so I thought. When I tried to enter the room my key would not work and I was confronted by an irate guest who was upset that I was trying to get into his room. On returning to reception and explaining to the same person that they had given me the wrong room the response was that it must have been his writing that I couldn't read, in other words my fault. He issued me with a key to the corner room directly above the one I had tried to get into. Now the issue here is not that the mistake was made, as we all make mistakes, but the way in which the complaint was handled which I my opinion was extremely poor.
The other small matter was that in the Club lounge for drinks that evening the person sitting next to me had on a singlet and a reversed baseball hat. Now if the hotel states , as it does, that there is a dress code and by dress code I am sure they mean smart casual I don't consider a singlet and reversed baseball hat smart casual. So you either have a dress code and enforce it or you have no dress code at all.
So two very small issues but I think they could indicate a decline in the usually high standards. I am next booked into the Langham at Easter and hope it has improved otherwise I am sure there are plenty of other hotels in Melbourne that would be only to happy to take my $423 a night

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank daviddKirkgate
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2014 via mobile

Booked a corner room and got an upgrade to a terrace room for same price.The room was clean and loverly.service was prompt and very helpful.Had dinner at the restaurant ,thought it was a bit dear but after having dinner there it was well worth the $ .Want to take the bed and pillows home.Thank you to the Langham and the staff for a loverly break from the drought

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Dunfermline, Scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2014

Just home after spending 11 memorable nights at this hotel. From start to finish the staff were impeccable, they were courteous, attentive without being in your face and wholly approachable. They are indeed a credit to this hotel.
On previous visits to Melbourne we stayed at the Intercontinental, the Rialto and the only regret I have is not staying at the Langham before. The Langham is in a different class compared to the Rialto and I would advise everyone to stick with the Langham, you will not be disappointed.
The hotel itself is located in a prime area of the city overlooking the Yarra river and within easy reach of most of the best parts of Melbourne. We initially had a classic room before upgrading to a club corner river/city room. The Classic was really well appointed and in some aspects we preferred it for storage and functionality. That’s not to say the club corner room wasn’t great as well, it was and the extra touches of a club room were much appreciated. The high standard of accommodation provided means no matter which room you choose, you will love it.
Every room was bright and airy, had a great comfortable bed and had a cafetiere and ground coffee, a great touch and great coffee, complimentary bottled water, thick towels, good shower, a quality turndown service and an iphone docking station. Toiletries were of high standard and the rooms were well maintained by the chamber staff.
The pool area is fantastic on a hot sunny day and a haven of relaxation and the facilities are first class.
We loved the club room, thanks guys, especially Brendan who has an amazing knack of never letting your glass empty during evening drinks! The food offered during this time is both inventive and of high quality and there is plenty of it! Breakfast had the main hot items and a full continental spread. The Club Lounge was the icing on the cake of a terrific stay.
I have no negatives for this hotel, only positives. We have stayed in quite a few top class hotels on our travels but this one is up there with the best. You have to go!

Room Tip: Classic room 1204 has a decent view of the River without having to pay for it.