“The best hotel in our 4 week excursion Down Under!”

The Langham, Melbourne
Ranked #5 of 160 Hotels in Melbourne
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 17 February 2014

This hotel is a diamond in a most wonderful city in the perfect location. This property combines the best of older luxury hotels with the crispness of modern accommodations. The staff upon check-in is warm, friendly and welcoming from the get go! The rooms are exciting reminiscent of the every best large city properties and there is nothing missing! The street scene by the river is right outside the door for the best Melbourne experience, restaurants and romance. The property is plush, clean and rich in details! The service was impeccable! The very best hotel on our 4 week trip! Thank you!

There are newer reviews for The Langham, Melbourne

Reviewed 16 February 2014

My wife and i had the joy of staying at the Langham Melbourne for three nights. What a great experience! The staff is very helpful, and the valets could not have been more friendly or professional. Our room had a balcony with a view to die for. The bathtub was generous and the room spacious. The location can't be beat - it is right alongside the river, with a short walk across a lovely bridge (which has a very cool bar/restaurant half way across). We talk about our experience here often, and it made a wonderful memory for both of us!

Room Tip: Room 2105 offered the exceptional view - we could have had a party up there!
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
jmclaughlingrm, Guest Relations Manager at The Langham, Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post your valuable feedback on Trip Advisor, we certainly appreciate your detailed comments. I am pleased you had such a delightful stay and that you and your wife have pleasant memories of your time with us. We hope to welcome you back again at The Langham Melbourne for another wonderful stay.

Reviewed 16 February 2014

Very helpful concierge. Good afternoon tea. Great breakfast, in terms of both choice and the room itself, overlooking the Yarra, Flinders Station and the city skyline - the best on our Australia trip. Good location, in the Southbank area, for restaurants. Our room overlooked the river and the CBD. All the usual amenities. Nothing special. Just a good luxury hotel room.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for posting your feedback on Trip Advisor. I am pleased you enjoyed our servcies as well as Afternoon Tea and the breakfast in Melba. Melba is truly an unforgettable dining experience with the varied and extensive offerings presented daily. I am glad you found our location within the vibrant Southgate precinct to your satisfaction. We hope to welcome you back again soon for another pleasant stay.

Reviewed 15 February 2014

The hotel is rightly regarded as a Melbourne institution. This was my first visit to the city and the hotel is in a great location to enjoy the south bank bar and restaurant scene but also an easy walk to the shopping areas, the MCG and the Rod Laver arena. My room was fine with a good view across the river. Buffet breakfast was good but didn't vary much over the five days of my stay. Service was excellent. Can't imagine a better downtown base though I expect there are cheaper places!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 February 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for the Valentine's weekend gate away. The hotel itself is pretty amazing from the moment you stepped your feet into the lobby. The whole decor is stunning with a live pianist playing romantic tunes. The high tea looks amazing but I did not take part personally. The room is fairly spacious & modern. I love the concept of having separate bath to the shower. The cleanliness of the room is exceptional. We also had lunch at the Melba Restaurant. Sad to say that we did not go for the buffet option that looks pretty amazing but instead we opted the ala carte menu & dear Lord I'm sorry that I didn't choose the buffet option! I ordered the seafood linguine that was a little bit of disappointing in terms of favour. The seafood itself was superb but the dish was bland. My other half had a $30 something dollar fish & chips that looked & tasted the same as $15 fish & chips that we normally have in Brisbane. Waiting staff weren't as attentive as other hotel restaurants that I've been too. Hotel location is pretty central with nice view of the river. Check in counter took more than 10 mins to complete (I'm not sure if that was due to lack of staff or other issues). Overall it is a great hotel with a let down of the services department. I would come back for the buffet next time we are in Melbourne. In terms of romance for couples, yes it's a big tick for me .

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 February 2014

Spent 3 nights. Had a room on the 16th floor facing the Yarra River with great views of the city skyline. Very comfortable beds and nice layout of the room. Big bathroom with separate shower and tub. Nice pool area. Great lounge and bar area, Aria. Breakfast was fantastic. Huge assortment of foods and fresh fruit. The hotel is absolutely beautiful and the location is the best, right in the heart of the city and an easy walk to everything, catch a bus to the beach, etc.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a good view of the river and skyline.
1  Thank CHARLES B
Reviewed 12 February 2014

I am a regular visitor to the Langham Melbourne staying in their Club Rooms every time. I stayed earlier this week for a couple of nights and thought I would highlight a couple of small but important issues that occurred. I booked in and was given my key to my club corner room, or so I thought. When I tried to enter the room my key would not work and I was confronted by an irate guest who was upset that I was trying to get into his room. On returning to reception and explaining to the same person that they had given me the wrong room the response was that it must have been his writing that I couldn't read, in other words my fault. He issued me with a key to the corner room directly above the one I had tried to get into. Now the issue here is not that the mistake was made, as we all make mistakes, but the way in which the complaint was handled which I my opinion was extremely poor.
The other small matter was that in the Club lounge for drinks that evening the person sitting next to me had on a singlet and a reversed baseball hat. Now if the hotel states , as it does, that there is a dress code and by dress code I am sure they mean smart casual I don't consider a singlet and reversed baseball hat smart casual. So you either have a dress code and enforce it or you have no dress code at all.
So two very small issues but I think they could indicate a decline in the usually high standards. I am next booked into the Langham at Easter and hope it has improved otherwise I am sure there are plenty of other hotels in Melbourne that would be only to happy to take my $423 a night

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple