“Back for another excellent stay”

The Langham, Melbourne
Ranked #7 of 161 Hotels in Melbourne
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 10 April 2014

After visiting a dying relative outside Melbourne, we thought we'd stay again at The Langham in order to get something pleasant out of our interstate trip.

What a nice surprise, then, to be upgraded to a Terrace room - one of those shown on the hotel's website! The view of the CBD and Federation Square from the huge terrace must be one of the best in Melbourne - and, to make the most of it, we had room service and ate a very pleasant meal outside on an unusually balmy late-March Melbourne evening.

Of course, the usual (and expected) Langham attributes were apparent: a large, comfortable room and - perhaps what I like most - really friendly service throughout our stay. The girl at reception was even nice to the rude man in front of us who checked in while on his phone for the whole time!

We look forward to a return visit, obviously.

Room Tip: Go for a terrace room, if you can!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (5,833)

Reviewed 10 April 2014

Stayed at Langham Melbourne in early April with my son and daughter. On the plus side, the hotel is ideally situated to explore the City, with easy access to South Bank restaurants, a walk or jog through the Royal Botanical Gardens, a stroll over the Yarra to the CBD and lots of pubs and restaurants. In addition, the service from tee to green is impeccable--friendly, light-hearted, and helpful. Our room had a great view of the city and river. High tea service was delightful.

On the down side, I informed them via phone I needed a room for 3 people, but they offered a room with two twins, then moved me to a split up King in a junior suite, for another $150/day, with a cot that they cheerily offered, but did not tell me were charging an extra $55/day. I disputed this on check out and was told they'd get back to me, but it's now been a week and no news, and it still appears on my bill with no credit.

I also detest WiFi charges when you're paying a lot for the room, but they charged excessive amounts, had problems getting knocked off repeatedly, had to call tech support, then got charged and extra day, which they did take off when I noted it.

They also have this pink motif going on, with a heavy floral scent. So this is not exactly the place to stay with a cool or hip vibe, but better for your mom, wife, girls, or aunts. All in all, a grande dame of a hotel that has great location and service, but some attributes that could be addressed easily. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and room.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank kquinn714
jmclaughlingrm, Guest Relations Manager at The Langham, Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to offer us your valuable feedback on Trip Advisor following your recent stay at The Langham Melbourne. We certainly appreciate your detailed comments. We are pleased you enjoyed the location of the hotel which is situated within the Southgate complex located within an easy walking distance to both the CBD and Botanical Gardens. I am happy to happy to read that you were delighted with our service, high tea and you were thrilled with the view from your guestroom of the Yarra River and city. Our pink branded colour and signature scent of ginger flower is prevalent in all the Langham Hotels which distinguishes us from other hotels. I apologize in regards to the service issues you encountered in regards to the room and your request you needed one for three persons and the lack of follow up. I have contacted you directly to discuss this as well as our 1865 Programme. We hope to welcome you back in the future to The Langham Melbourne.

Reviewed 10 April 2014

As an experienced traveler with what some could describe as unrealistic expectations, it is rare than I can justify an "excellent" rating. However, this hotel breaks the mold and sets the bar. Front the moment I arrived at the hotel the service of the staff was exceptional. A personal and informative escort to the room and prompt bell service were a great start. The concierge has lined up several things as requested in advance and then went even further on other matters. The restaurant offers a bountiful buffet breakfast and the bar service was good without being intrusive. The room was very spacious and with a large bathroom (with a unique bath/shower set-up that is better seen than described) and plenty of storage space, a dressing area, and a sitting room. In terms of location, the hotel sits right on the river and is easy walking distance to a variety of restaurants, shopping, casino, and a transportation hub. The hotel guests i saw included families, business people, and leisure travelers of all ages. Langham properties are always above average, but this hotel offers the perfect blend of service, quality, and location which should make it an easy choice for any Melbourne visitor.

Room Tip: High floor rooms facing the river provide a great view of the city and river. Request to NOT be on...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 April 2014

WI - FI !!!!!!!!! This may sound nit - picking but I cannot believe that Hotels not just the Langham need to charge for it. Every bar/ restaurant we visited it was free of charge .. Why not hotels ?? I'd much rather pay more on the room rate than go through the process and being charged for the Privelige .. Rant over.. What we are left with is to a magnificent hotel in every way.... Location,staff,huge rooms.. This has all of this in spades. Add to that it's attached the Southgate Mall which is home to some fine eateries and bars.. Cannot be faulted... Nearly !

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to post your review following your recent stay at The Langham Melbourne. We offer complimentary broadband up to 200MB daily as one of the benefits of our 1865 Loyalty Programme, which there is no cost to join. I apologize if you were not informed of the programme upon your arrival. I have contacted you directly to provide you with more information and the offer to join. I am pleased you thought the hotel magnificent, appreciated your guestroom and the service from our colleagues, as well as enjoyed the location which is situated within Southgate with its many bars, restaurants and shops while in close walking distance to the CBD. We hope to welcome you back to The Langham Melbourne in the future.

Reviewed 9 April 2014

The immediate feeling you get upon entering the hotel is spaciousness, warmth, and comfort. I upgraded to a river view room for an extra $45/night, as recommended by other reviewers. While this was quite nice, I wouldn't say it is absolutely necessary, unless you plan to stay most of your day indoors. Next time I will rather use these $45 towards a meal.

The layout of the room was great, in that you don't open the door onto a bed, like in many other hotels. Upon opening the door to your room, there is a short hallway with the bathroom on the left and minibar on the right, and the bed is tucked to the left behind the bathroom wall. This makes for a cozy feeling once you are inside the room, and once in bed, you don't see or feel the door to the hallway at all. As an experienced traveler, these small details can make a huge difference on how comfortable you feel away from home.

The bathroom comes with a shower as well as a separate bathtub, which invites you to relax and refresh. My favorite aspect of this hotel is its large room service menu, from western food to Asian food. My work prevents from spending too much time sitting at a restaurant, so I often employ room service. It was therefore a pleasant surprise to have such a large option of food to choose from.

My only complaint is that when the cleaning people are making the rooms, they tend to carelessly let the doors shut over the locks, which creates a repetitive, unpleasant slamming noise. This is not unusual in hotels, but I always wish this would be addressed, as it often makes it difficult to take a nap.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank kgNY2014
Reviewed 9 April 2014

I was in The Langham Melbourne from the 17th Mar to the 24th Mar I booked the club rooms which is on the high floor checking in was a breeze and front desk people were very friendly. And would like to complement the lounge staff they are very friendly and helpful. Any request is granted. The rooms were well kept and when I checked in a vacuum cleaner was still in the room when I inform them they were very apologetic and next day a bar of chocolate was delivered into my room . For sure I will be back next year and probably stay a little longer and also is very convenient from all places is definitely a hotel to highly recommend. WILL BE BACK

Reviewed 7 April 2014

We stayed at the Langham for a long weekend. The service was impeccable from the moment that we arrived to the time of our departure. Particular mention should go to Sumati who greeted us on arrival and went out of his way to make our stay a pleasant one. He discovered that we were celebrating a birthday and arranged for flowers and birthday cake to be delivered to our room with a lovely note. It was a very nice touch!

We stayed in a club river view room. The club was a very pleasant place to have a pre-dinner drink or breakfast. The views over the CBD skyline are spectacular. Our room was perhaps a little twee for our tastes but we could not fault the comfort and, again, that wonderful view. The bed was exceptionally comfortable and the room was quiet and dark. Its a good job there was also an alarm clock otherwise we might have slept our way throughout the weekend. The bathroom was also good - well lit, separate shower and good toiletries.

The location at Southbank is very good - easy access to the CBD and lovely walks along the Yarra. There are many excellent restaurants within an easy walk.

All in all - highly recommended.

Room Tip: Get a river view room and, if staying for a few nights, go for the club!