“A most pleasant stay”

The Langham, Melbourne
Ranked #5 of 160 Hotels in Melbourne
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Great hotel . As from our arrival we were greeted in a most pleasant and helpful way .

My requests made at the time of the booking were entirely met and I had a lovely surprise to be assigned a room with some view of the river ( having booked for the room with the lowest price).

The room size was just right and very comfortable with a desk and 2 comfortable chairs. The bathroom was just right with a good selection of amenities. The same for the coffee/tea beverages.

The general ambience of the hotel is of contained elegance. The location is superb, close to the south bank and at walking distance to the main city attractions and transport and yet tranquil .

The only flaw was the internet connection that did not work and required some time to be resolved by the staff who were very kind and helpful. I think that an hotel of this level should provide for the clients free Wi Fi connections in the rooms , as most worldwide hotels of the same caliber of the Langham do.

I will certainly return to this hotel .

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for The Langham, Melbourne

Reviewed 3 May 2014

From the moment we walked in we were treated special. Everything about the Langham was perfect. And the location is wonderful, and easy and pretty walk across the bridge to the CBD, and plenty of things to do on its side of the river.

Reviewed 1 May 2014

Having just arrived from England, we spent our first two nights at the Langham. An extremely comfortable place to get over jetlag which we had done by the next morning. Spotlessly clean and extremely friendly staff. We had booked a room with a view over the river to the city which was stunning especially at night . Certainly couldn't fault it except for the high charge for Wi-Fi but that seems to be an Aussie problem. Definitely will stay there next time in Melbourne.

Room Tip: Room view a view over the river
Reviewed 30 April 2014

You cannot beat the location of this hotel. Dead center in the middle of everywhere you would want to be, with immediate access to trams, busses and water tours.

Kudos also to management of the Langham for its superb staffing. In particular, I commend Peter Breatley, the chief concierge. He is the best concierge I have ever experienced. His recommendations were dead-on and his helpful advice enhanced our stay immensely.

The room was spotless and room service for meals was excellent.

My only complaint, and the reason this hotel does not (in my view) merit five stars, is its poor internet service. One would expect that a hotel of this caliber would provide free internet service. It does not. Rather, it charges a daily fee based on the number of devices you wish to register. Once I paid that fee, I found that the service itself was slow and spotty, at best. Come on, Langham -- it's 2014!

Reviewed 30 April 2014

A friend and I stayed at the Langhams on 17th and 18th March for two concerts at the Hamer Hall. The hotel was as splendid as it usually is as I have stayed four or five times over the last few years. We booked a River View room this time as for the two nights there was a special offer. Wonderful views at night.

I have always found the beds so comfortable so this time I lifted the sheet to find they are from the Sealy range for the hotel industry. After reviewing so many beds since then, as I am in the market for a new one, I am now about to buy one from the hotel, new of course (which will also accommodate my bears Winston and Isabella who I bought on another occasion from Flavours of Langham shop!) plus the ginger spray which is the fragrance in the hallways through the air conditioning. Am I addicted!!! Love the place.

Room Tip: River View rooms are great however if you ask for a room lower down but on the side towards the fron...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Mehul D, Manager at The Langham, Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2014

Thank you Collette for posting such a lovely note on trip advisor. I am pleased to see that you and your friend chose the Langham whilst you were in Melbourne for the two Hammer Hall concerts. I wish you all the very best with your new bedding and trust you will find it very comforting, same as here at the hotel. Also, our branding team are very happy to learn that you have been enjoying the various little flavours of our Langham brand. I and the entire team at Langham look forward in welcoming you again very soon.

Reviewed 28 April 2014

Absolutely LOVED this hotel. If you want a crowded, huge, noisy Las Vegas type hotel, stay at the Crown Towers. If you want elegance and impeccable service and a great location, stay here - and go visit the noisy casino down the street one evening.
I really can't say enough about the Langham. Even before my arrival, I bombarded the concierges with requests for dining reservations, sports tickets, tour recommendations - I figure I'm spending a lot of money in a short time and wanted to make the most of my first stay in Australia. Ben and Sam, the concierges I emailed, were so helpful and accommodating in every way. Our room was large and had a wonderful view of the river and CBD. Turndown service left us slippers and fresh water bottles next to our bed. In the bathroom, a little box with everything you might have forgotten was provided (toothpaste and brush, shaving cream and razor, etc). The location was great - right over the pedestrian bridge to lots of shops, restaurants, lanes and arcades. We walked to the Melbourne Cricket Ground and the Botanical gardens. Check in and out was a breeze. There were always helpful bellmen and smiling doormen to call a cab from across the street. If I return to Melbourne, I can't imagine staying anywhere else. The whole experience - atmosphere, guest services, location, amenities (they had a lap pool, gym, and spa, which looked wonderful, but we were so busy we didn't get a chance to use them) were exceptional. Thanks to all who took such good care of us and your other guests -

Room Tip: high floor facing the Yarra river
1  Thank nreyesok
Reviewed 28 April 2014

My wife and I stayed here for 4 nights in April 2014' great location, excellent staff. Rooms right up to scratch in every way. Langham club rooms were great as they provided a quiet place to re cooperate with a drink and nibbles. This is the second time we have stayed at this hotel. It's a bit on the expensive side with food prices a bit high but great service. Melbourne is a great city anyway. Very highly recommended for relaxing and great service.

Room Tip: Try for a high floor as the views are great especially if you get a river view.